cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Not sure whats happening

crazybabi3-2
0 7 3

I am having a harder time with my breathing the futher in this quit has anyone else had this happen? I know I have COPD with 22% lung function loss was recently checked and it has stayed the same I will NOT smoke again but when I was smoking I was breathing easier? 

I am hoping maybe it is just a phase from the healing process maybe I should see the lung doctor again for reassurance IDK..

Day:19

7 Comments
GreenThumb3

I think it takes time to heal and if you were smoking you would be doing more damage I was hoping for some quick sinus cure when I quit but no luck yet just know you made the right decision and don't start again 

YoungAtHeart

I think it's a good idea to let your doctor take a listen!  It is SO good that you have quit.  It can only do good things for your lungs.   No idea why they might feel worse....perhaps you are getting bornchitis?

Sorry I don't have anything more positive to say, but I never experienced anything like you describe.

Nancy

stephsafighter71

I know exactly what your going through and yes, it will pass. Smoking cigarettes is like painting a coat of tar on your lungs. It's a thick coat of tar that didn't get there in a short period of time, therefore takes some time to "go away"! You may find yourself coughing up some ugly flem but that's just your lungs trying to break free of all the blockage. Good luck hun. Hang in there! It gets better. This is my third time quitting so I'm somewhat of an expert on the side effects, lol.

crazybabi3-2

Thanks , for the replies no worries for me starting back I have my mind set and I also have the wonderful EX  community, 

GreenThumb, I agree smoking will only cause more damage and not just to my lungs.

Nanacy, I think your right I should make an appt. and be sure what is happening it ceertainly can't hurt anything.

Steph, the odd thing is this quit I have barely had any pleam to couch up but I  did have just a little more in December when I quit for the 13 days. Like you I have a history of "quitting" in 2008 I quit for 8 months now that quit I coughed till I was sore. 

I wlll post a follow upp blog after I see the lung doctor.

Thomas3.20.2010

Something most people don't know is that sickerettes have cough suppressants in them. When we quit smoking, we cough and smoke to relieve the cough - Tobacco Company gains back their Addict! Give it time. you will get somewhat better but your lung capacity of course wil never return. That's gone for good. Quitting smoking is the most efficient and effective means of treating COPD. In fact, nothing else you treat it with helps a bit if you keep smoking. 
CONGRATULATIONS on 19 Smoke FREE Days!

Always choose breath not death!

candylance

Congratulations on 19 smoke free days!! Your MINDSET is right. YOU have made the DECISION to quit smoking!! Now you're making CHOICES not to pick up during a crave. I, too, have COPD and I think you should geet reassurance from your doctor that you don't need to be on oxygen. I was on oxygen 24/7 because I was too stubborn to keep a quit. I would relapse after a couple of months. I am now on oxygen just at night, have not needed a breathing treatment, Spiriva, or other inhalers. Quitting helps you regain your independence and your life. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Candy      d132

joyeuxencore

Congrats on 19 days of freedom! It takes time to heal...I know Thomas has breathing exercises on his page to help...xo