cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Not for the timid

JonesCarpeDiem
0 7 17

So I was sitting out in the yard just now waiting for Hoggie to come home from his morning ramble and I reached up to scratch my neck at the line of my t- shirt. As I was there I felt a hair. It seemed quite long so I pulled it.
Well, it was pure white, well over 4 inches and, being so spectacularly long, I wondered if it was my "life-hair" and, if I had just “pulled the plug”
For you who may still be smoking
The conditions in your body can be just right so that one cigarette can trigger a stroke or heart attack.
The one you have between your lips this very second might be your smoke-hair, that hair trigger that sets off a disheartening life changing chain of events.

Is that the way you want to go?
Are you prepared to leave everything behind for that smoke?

7 Comments
OldBones-Larry

Great post dale. I used to be one og those guys. I just had to find out the hard way about the dangers of smoking.

Larry

Thomas3.20.2010
I pulled the COPD trigger hair! There's no going back!
marilyn_marmac

And I pulled the stroke hair...there's no going back for me either! So, I'm just going to pray that you pulled a wild hair and not your life hair.

SkyGirl

Great blog, Dale!  That's a pretty hairy story!

Sometimes a smoker has pulled the hair-trigger and doesn't even know it.  Although your body starts to heal the minute you stop smoking, the health effects can still show up years later.  A sobering thought.

stonecipher

I have heard of people who quit and were later diagnosed with life-threatening cancer who declared they wish they hadn't quit.  I wonder about those people.  Did they never experience the pure joy of being quit, for being quit's sake?  I mean. . .I am glad to be free and I do expect that my smoking will effect me anyway.  I surely did not escape the consequences of hurting myself all those years.

AND YET.  I would never think that I wish I had kept on smoking since I "caught something" after all.

Because it just feels so much better NOW to be smoke-free.

Do it for your future health, of course.  But do it for today and the day after that just because it is such a better way to live.

It's not just about the breathing folks, it's about the LIVING!!!!!

P.S. Dale, I wish I only had 1 pure white hair to pull.  haha!

newlife5

if i pulled all my white hairs i'd be bald.. so all my hairs must be ready to be tripped ...so im gonna kinda just watch my step

lpears

Great blog post Dale! Before I became a non smoker, I always thought, "Just one more couldn't hurt." In reality it unfortunatley can. 

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.