cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Not a good day...

yelnats
0 17 20

Had 3 cigarettes with my morning routine, then another one at work 4 hours later.. I promised myself only one, if any.. so not doing very well today.. I'm depressed, maybe thats why.. I contemplate, stop and think each time I light one up.. I never used to do that.. Quit day is not far.. Sometimes I think I'm ready, and other times, like today, I just have a crappy attitude about life, and simply dont care 😞

I know if I smoke any more ciggies today, I will be utterly disgusted and pissed off at myself tomorrow, and have another bad day. It's like a cycle, domino effect... 😞

17 Comments
Jennifer-Quit

My advise - don't set yourself up for failure before you even get started.  Cutting back and/or delaying never really worked for me - for me it was always all or nothing but you do what works best for you.  This is your quit.  Do spend time before your quit date reading in this site and also the other one that you recommended the other day.  To me education about this addiction helped me tremendously!

JonesCarpeDiem

people who deny themselves have negated their quit before they quit.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2016/02/17/the-quitting-ga...

common sense?

Eric_L.

I wish I would have posted something in one of your blogs the other day.  Imo cutting back is an exercise in frustration.  It doesn't appear to work for you, perhaps a little better than it ever did for me, and it is obviously shame producing which is not what this is about.

Educate yourself and do your quit date.  However, don't put it off forever!  You can do this.

*****Please note that I didn't say to just keep smoking or to just abruptly quit (w/or wo an nrt).  If cutting back didn't work than those are your options.  In light of the difficulty with cutting back I'd sincerely consider figuring out for yourself what makes the most sense.

JonesCarpeDiem

It's how you cut back. Why would anyone want to count every cigarette they smoke and set a limit per day.

All you end up doing is focusing on what you can't have.

Barbara145

Cheer up and be kind to yourself.  You are about to embark on a journey of a lifetime.  I could never cut back very well.  Set your quit day and commit to it one day at a time.  You can do this : )

elvan

PLEASE read jonescarp's page, please prepare yourself and know that you CAN do this, anyone can do this if they are willing.  Craves will not kill you, smoking will.  Addiction is a merry-go-round and we have all got to step off at some point.  Some of us trip more than once but you CAN get off.

elvan

By the way, we all have good days and bad days and nothing changes that...including smoking, particularly smoking!

JonesCarpeDiem

change your routine.

tjanddj

Oh my goodness you are putting yourself through withdrawal symptoms and you haven't even quit yet. Why don't you just try delaying having a cigarette instead of worry about how many cigarettes you can or can't have. jonescart aka dale can help you with that. Personally I didn't practice to quit smoking before I quit. I set a date I educated myself about the addiction and when the date came I just did it and had the wonderful support of this EX- community.  Wishing you the best on your quit journery leading you towards a healthier life style and saving yourself from the many devastitng health issures that smoking causes. 

TerrieQuit

Yes, Dale can help you with the delaying method. I tried to limit and was told about keeping myself in constant withdrawal, I was not into doing that so I smoked till my Quit time and date, went to bed and woke up a former smoker.

So you have many suggestions above, do what works for you! Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking! Please keep reading!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

JACKIE1-25-15

Lots of advice here.  Take what you can use and leave the rest.  You can do this. 

sweetsexisasi

Hi! you sound like you suffer from the same beat yourself up disorder that i have lol. Dont be so hard on yourself! I think the fact that you are aware and want to quit already makes you a success and I (stranger and all) am very proud of you! many people dont even get that far as to have the desire to quit. i just set my quit date but im not going to limit myself leading up to that date because i become overwhelmed very easily which will only have me smoking more. try going with the days as they come and looking at the big picture! instead of thinking "i said i was only going to smoke 1 cigaette today and smoked 5 im such a failure" acknowledge the sucess you have had. no success is small. i dont care if you smoked 1/2 cigarette less today than you did yesterday. 1/2 may seem small but its still an accomplishment none the less. we have to be our biggest supporters and not our biggest criticizers. its hard enough when the outside world comes down on you dont join them!  we're all only human! congratulations on your comittment and decision to quit!! I have all the faith that you will be just fine! : ) YOU CAN DO IT!

crazymama_Lori

you're divorcing your best friend.  That friend stuck by you in the worst of times and the best of times.  The depression is the loss.  And as you travel further along, that depression will be the addiction trying to suck you in.  Read this :  http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/blog/read/7527119/a-quit-dialogue-in-iv-acts-epilogue

you will see yourself in this play.  This plays in my mind when the craves hit big time

crazymama_Lori

also track your cigarettes on here and associate the reason and how you are to overcome it.  then tomorrow, overcome that first one.  The next day, overcome that second one.  the third day, overcome that third one and so on

Sootie

Hello----In an earlier blog you mentioned you liked the site whyquit.com. I do also. there are some REALLY fantastic blogs on there to explain to you why "cutting back" on an addiction does not work.

Don't give up.........quitting smoking is one of the best decisions you will EVER make......trust me......trust us.

MarilynH

I agree with everyone above me and Do Not Give Up as Sootie says directly above me, quitting smoking is the best decision that you will ever make so trust us and stick close to this site. 

Mrs.Brock

Be gentle to yourself! Remember, you are human. But, also, you as well as everyone here are made from the same dust that stars are made from. That's pretty awesome! Just wanted to share that! Peace and Namaste-Mrs. Brock