cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Not a Relapse, just a hit.

tolejo
0 10 47

Yesterday me and my partner had a gathering, about 7 or 8 people, all really good friends, all of which smoke. Suddenly I'm the odd one out. The first few hours were very nice, a few beers, maybe a shot or two, I didnt have the urge to smoke. couple of beers later and I'm fieding. 

I take a drag off my Friend Ashley's smoke. Satisfying. 1 drag was it. the only tobbaco product in almost 3 weeks. 

basically I'm trying to justify it because I feel really ashamed and embarrased. I'm still sticking with my quit date< nothing will interupt that, it was just compulsive and I feel shitty about it... smh. Just have to keep looking ahead. 

10 Comments
Sootie

What is your quit date?

JonesCarpeDiem

I've heard this one before  🙂

TerrieQuit

NOPE = Not One Puff Ever!

I would never expect anyone to do anything I wouldn't do myself!

I Won't Quit on my Quit

JACKIE1-25-15

Most don' t like my responses because I do my best to speak the truth and the addictive  brain does not like the truth.  No one tickled my ears they gave me the hard core truth.  Even thought I rarely drink, I was told that alcohol is a sure fire way to lose a quit, especially early on when you haven't fully established the skills to not smoke, no matter what. I was told in order to quit I had to grow up and not yield to peer pressure.  Therefore I took it upon myself not to drink for around 4 months. 

ITo lessen the chance of me relapsing I learned that if you are going to drink and have to smoke, don't drink.  If you are around smokers and have to smoke don' t be around smokers.  Your quit should be more important than anything else. .  Including people places and things. Drinking early on in a quit is danger zone as you can see.  hindisight 20/20

If you take one puff you have smoked.  Early in a quit I would consider it a slip.  Later on in my opinion is a relapse.  I do think it is commendable that you have acknowledged that you "slipped".  What have you learned that you can use in the future is the most important factor now.  

Hopefully you will override your addictive brain and be willing accept the facts,  Sometimes the truth is hard.  I am still trying to make the truth soft. Haven't got there yet but still hoping.

Stopforgood

Smoking is a Choice.  Not Smoking is a Choice.

If smoke is going in your mouth and lungs, you are smoking.  You either smoke, or you don't smoke. The two cannot exist together. NOPE.

Silverstar

This is only my opinion:  there's no such thing as "just a hit" because nicotine is entering your system and will activate the addiction and make you want more. 

This is Also only my opinion, but finding it "satisfying" seems like a red flag that you aren't really done with smoking. 

For me, I had to make a commitment that I would never smoke, no matter what, otherwise there would be nothing stopping me from the occasional puff, and that would lead me back to smoking. 

sophia-22

Your smoking friends (all of them,wow)and the alcohol created a very strong mental trigger.(a perfect storm). You need to stay away from those situations until you are very confident you can control your triggers, which become less and less over time. Give yourself more time. Maybe get together with less of your friends at one time and meet somewhere you can leave if you start feeling triggered.

Have you introduced any of your friends to the Allen Carr book or videos? Some of them may want to quit and the others will probably stay away from you for awhile because they don't want to hear about quitting. Just a thought.

Wishing you the best and glad your back on your quit!

LesleyON

It's tough when you are around people who smoke, especially if you're drinking. Stay strong, you can do it.  I'm lucky that not many of my friends or family smoke.  It makes it a little easier.

Giulia

Most of us consider our quit date to be the last day we ever put a cigarette in our mouth and inhaled it.  For most of us our quit is a badge of honor.  If I say I will never do something again and I do, where's the honor in that?  It means I have broken my pledge and my commitment, plain and simple. Whether I smoked only one puff, or one cigarette or 50.  

You may be lucky enough to get away with that one puff and not go for another, and another every time you're out with really good friends and drinking.  If you do, you're a rare bird indeed.  Most find themselves back to smoking on a regular basis pretty quickly.  You can read pages and pages of the tales of failed quits that occurred just like your scenario.  There is no such thing as just one for an addict.  I hope you will heed our responses.  Day One's are never any fun.  There comes a point when it's easier to remain quit than it is to start all over again.  But you have to hang in long enough to get there. 

If you allow for excuses - you will never be free.  There is no justification whatsoever for putting a cigarette in your mouth once you've agreed to not do so.  None.  Until you "get" that, you will continue to waffle in your quit.  Think about it carefully and stay true to the best part of you.  There's some good reading material in  Relapse Traps  you might want to take a gander at.

susan_m
^^^ Guilia nailed it. Ok, so where do you go from here? That's the million dollar question. Clearly, you've learned that friends + alcohol = kryptonite for your quit. While you will probably be ok in time, the early part of your quit is just too fragile. Also, shots....there's having drinks then there's partying. Don't most smokers agree that the cigarettes we smoked when we were partying were the best? Or, we thought so, anyway. Our addicted brains play with us, and the alcohol took your ability to control your quit away from you. I'd say you learned quite the lesson. Don't be ashamed, but learn from it and grow. Don't minimize the importance of the slip, but don't let it get to you, either. The sun will still come up, your friends and your partner are still going to love you (and smoke), we are still going to be here for you, and you are still a non-smoker if you choose to be. It's all going to be ok. So, where do you go from here? Susan