cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Not Liking WITHDRAWL!!!

shirley-lyn
0 11 16

This is my third time at quitting.   I have taken Chantix since the end of Nov.  My last cigeratte was 12/25/2013.   I am on day 28 and I stopped taking Chantix yesterday.  I am not feeling well, I suppose I am feeling withdrawl symptoms.  My gums have been very sensitive.  They bleed when I brush my teeth.  The sore gums started this past weekend and I have been having headaches.  I was so frustrated and thought about getting a pack of smokes to help take the discomfort away because this just isn't worth the headaches (no pun intended)!   So...I logged  on here, read a few blogs, took aspirin and went to bed.  I DO NOT WANT TO SMOKE ANYMORE.   I noticed a sore on the  inside of my cheek that came up today.  UGH...I am hoping this all passes soon.  I wasn't sure if this was withdrawl or some symptoms from Chantix.    I have smoked for 39 years, since I was 13 years old.   Wow!  How sad is that!  I thought about my body, it has no clue how to function without nicotine.  I would light my first smoke then start my coffee pot.  I even knew how many I could smoke on my drive to work, how many I could smoke at my lunch break, how many for the ride home....the list goes on, it was my life.   Never thought I would be on this site writing a Blog Post, I have always been able to do things on my own, so I thought.  Thanks to all of you that have made me realize I am not alone.   The links have been just awesome, they have helped tremendously.  Education and planning is the key.    

11 Comments
SkyGirl

Congratulations on Day 28, Shirley.  You are right; the key to success is understanding nicotine addiction and why it makes your brain THINK that you loved smoking and "needed" cigarettes.  You are doing great, but I would check with your doctor to see if the mouth sores are a side effect of Chantix.

And don't forget that every single day that you don't put a cigarette in your mouth, you are SUCCEEDING, Shirley!

xxxooo,  Sky

Julieibbo

Stay with it and do not smoke, you have done the right thing in managing the withdrawals .go to bed if need be and if it gets really bad see the doctor for help. Good luck and continue without a cigarette. I gave up about a week after you.

JonesCarpeDiem

smoking does do damage to your gums. don't know about the sore.

if you haven't had any nicotine since 12/25 the nicotine probably isn't causing the cravings so I wouldn't introduce it at this point.

you should be through the worst.

don't let the thought of getting off the Chantix convince you there is some problem.

claim your quit. grow it every day

the only way out is through

ninepatch
I suggest seeing a dentist. Smoking does terrible damage to your gums. Get a good healthy cleaning and check out the sores. I chewed on my lip without any thought and ended up with a permanent bump on my lip:-/. Your doing great! Keep positive and push forward
Barbara145

My gums bled after quitting also.  It didnt last long.  You are doing great.  Carry on!

joyeuxencore

Hi Shirley!

If you do not floss regularly your gums may start bleeding...it is amazing how smoking messed up our dental health. Best to stay quit, see a dentist and be grateful that you are at long last taking your life back from addiction!!! xo

GreenThumb3

Not sure about gums but I know I had a bad day around day 24 it was bad some days are better than others hang in there  and congrats on 28 days

cheryl_1-1-14

You did the right thing.  Go to bed!!  Sleep right through the symptoms if you can.  I had the constant dull headache for about a week and you just made me realize that it's gone.  Thanks!!

I had crazy swollen bumps on both sides of my tongue about a week after I quit.  They went away in 2 days.  I did read somewhere that mouth, gum and tongue issues could happen soon after you quit smoking.  Also read that your face can break out.  2 days later, BAM, my face broke out.  I think it was my body freaking out because it didn't know how to function without a nico fix.

keeptrying2

Hang in there, 28 days is good!  Well on your way to a brand new life!!  Our body does strange things when we quit.  In my first year, about 8 months in, I got so sick I thought I would die, but I didnt and I did get better after seeing a doctor and getting some antibiotics.  1303 days later I am healthy and good.  This too shall pass.

JonesCarpeDiem

I'm sitting here wondering what getting ill 8 months into your quit with something that is cured with antibiotics has to do with quitting? People get sick whether they are or were smokers or they never smoked a day in their life.

linda258

Ha Ha ... loved the tiltle ...not liking withdrawel.... nope none of us do...

BUT, will love being smoke free and not controled and dependent upon nicotine.