cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Non-Smoker Day 5

marbech
0 11 24

Good morning folks.  Day 5 is here and I am not worried about it.  I made it through Day 4 without much trouble, though I did have a reflex on a couple of occasions while at my computer or watching TV to actually reach for a cigarette.  It was a reflexive action.  But so far, so good.

Feeling stronger in my resolve because I am reading up about a lot about people who have gotten sick and died from this.  Everybody says it never occurred to them that it could actually happen to them.  That is how i have always felt. Its not in my family even though almost everybody smokes.  Then one day they go to the doctor for something else or a minor complaint and, boom, they have Stage IV lung cancer with metasasis. Then either they die right away or they go through living hell, then they die.  This is happening to my very best friend right now, who was diagnosed a month ago. I have a photo of her from my daughter's wedding in December and she looks beautiful and healthy. 

I guess this is not a very good morning post. What a way to start the day.  However, I have to say that all of this reading is making me stronger in my resolve never to smoke again. Also, I did not know that relapse can happen from a single puff, so that is now off the table.  

Anyway, have a great day all of you wonderful people who have helped me so much in accomplishing this difficult feat.  Your support is so helpful and I am very grateful for it. 

11 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

Sm-illness and misery is the end for many!

Quality of life  and freedom is where you are headed.

Onward and Upward.

linda258

You are doing great ....

ninepatch

Congrats on 5 days quit.  Keep pushing forward.  Everyday will get alittle easier.  Try and keep a positive mindset about quitting.  You are not losing anything only gaining so much.

Sorry about your friend.  My prayers go up for her.

Becky

YoungAtHeart

I am so glad you took the time to do the reading!  If you didn't know better, you could easily have thought "just one won't hurt!"  We know that it almost always leads you back to being a smoker again.

Just try to distract yourself through the craves.  The first 2-3 weeks are the most difficult.   If the going gets tough, just say, "I don't DO that anymore!" out loud if necessary.  Then immediately figure out something you can do to distract yourself until the crave passes (it only lasts three minutes or less and goes away whether you smoke or not!).

You have a great start.  Just get through a day at a time!

Nancy

TerrieQuit

5 days is a great start! Keep it going. the time will rack up quick! You can do yhis! You are doing this! Have a great smokefree weekend!

Terrie  32  DOF

djmurray

I did the same thing early in my quit.  We heard how bad smoking was for our health for years and stuck our fingers in our ears so we wouldn't hear it.  We all truly believed it couldn't happen to us.  And for some of us it has and for others it hasn't.  However, now that we're quit those stories are very real.  I spent one entire Sunday afternoon in the early days of my quit watching You Tube videos about people who didn't quit in time and I have retained those images ever since.  Quitting smoking is both literally and figuratively coming out of the haze of smoke and now we can see this terrible addiction for what it really is. 

Five days is great, and I promise you it will get easier.  I'm 219 days into my quit and I still have an old smoking reflex every once in a while, like getting in the car and reaching for a smoke as soon as I get in.  But those pass, too.

Terri103

I think that  you are doing a great job, and you shared good news at the beginning, so it is a good blog!  Plus, you very practically pointed out the reality of smoking.  It IS heartbreaking.  I am not sure I have forgiven myself yet for being so pig-headed in doing all of this smoking for so many years.  I am okay....so far......I haven't done a chest CT or pulmonology tests.  I will.  I am so very sad for you and for your best friend.  

Keep it up, do it in alliance with her.  There is not one good thing about smoking, never was, never will be.   NOPE!  you just gotta say that!!

joyeuxencore

So sorry about your friend! YOU are doing great...xo

bonniebee

I had that same reflex action frequently in the firsr few weeks I would also find myself wandering around the room aimlessly or looking for something and then realize I was looking for my cigarettes ! This happened a lot when I was talking on the phone ! I avoided long telephone  conversations  for awhile . Keep straws handy !

I do not get those habitual reflex actions anymore ! it gets better and easier hang in there !

Strudel

Congrats on 5 days! I am so sorry about your friend....

Stay close here - you can do this! 

marbech

Thank you all for your helpful and inspiring comments. It is good to have regular reinforcement that I can do this if I just keep my attention focused and not let my guard down.  You are all so helping me. 🙂