cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Non-Smoker, Day 2

marbech
1 8 15

I have made it almost through two days. Hasn't been that hard so far, as i have been applying Allen Carr's ideas. Thinking of wanting a cigarette as a little nicotine bug in my body that wants to be satisfied no matter what.  So I talk to it and tell it that its not going to happen so it may as well take a hike.

I also took to my bed early last night because I have never smoked on the second floor of the house.  Also, I have been keeping very busy by cooking a complicated meal, emptying and refilling the dishwasher, etc. 

Truth be told, I wish I could have a cigarette, but I have to beat this addiction because of the risks to my health. I want to be like other people who do not have to smoke. So I just have to keep going. 

I had a CT scan over the weekend as a lung cancer screening based on my smoking history, but no symptoms. Thankfully, it is negative.  But meanwhile my best friend for 40 years has just been diagnosed wiith stage iv metastatic lung cancer and he is suffering mightily already, even though he was just diagnosed at the end of June.  So smoking is a bad scene and is very dangerous. Even though it seems like you want to do it, you just can't or risk this kind of outcome at a pretty young age. 

So onward. 

8 Comments
bonniebee

I am so sorry about your best friend that is very sad I lost my best friend to Breast cancer in dec 2013 it was very hard to see her go she had been a non smoker for years .

Congrats to your 2 day quit I think the first 3 days are the hardest then gradually it gets easier . Beat this terrible addiction you are worth it ! Stay close to this site and communicate alot to get the education and support you need .

I have 177 days of Freedom (DOF ) and i know it is being here that has helped me get this far One Day at a Time !

marbech

Thank you, Bonnie.

I have tried to quit many times before with varying degrees of length of time, but always failing in the end.  However, I have never had support before. I think that the power of others and their stories and successes and temptations and, perhaps, failures, will help me to remain focused on my goal.  Congratulations on your quit.  177 days is fabulous and hopefully you are over the hump

JACKIE1-25-15

Hi Marbec What you are going through is quite the norm.  I suggest like you are doing to tell your addiction to take a hike.  "I don't do that anymore helps when the urge or thoughts come.  I suggest reading some of the blogs to change your focus;  My first several months I stayed very close to the site.  It was my breakfast lunch and dinner.  I had never really associated with someone that quite smoking.  So it works.  Just don;tsmoke no matter what.  You don't need them, after three days the nicotine is out of your system.  The addiction stays so you are learning to rethink deprogram relearn life with out a cigarette.  3 weeks its starts to sail a little smoother.  30 days you are elated.  and it goes on and on.  You learn as you go what works for you.  It takes a willingness and committement not to smoke NO MATTER WHAT....no excuses.  Good job on a two day start. lets finish this you can do it. Breathe  Breathe Breathe

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

TWO days is HUGE!  Good for you! 

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. .

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

linda258

Welcome... you are doing this!  You are so polite ... I used to YELL at Nic. 

marbech

Thank you Jackie. Great thoughts! I am going to hold onto "I don't need this", "I am not doing this" and then not bringing a cigarette to my lips no matter what the temptation. I must do this for myself and my two daughters and my grandchildren.  I appreciate the booster. 

marbech

Thank you Nancy and Linda. I am overwhelmed with your kindness. I never thought that people could be so supportive or that anyone would care if you made it or not. I am in my bedroom now in which I have never smoked so it is easier in here. I am waiting for when this little nicotine bug will finally give up and leave me alone for the first time in 45 years I am ashamed to say.

amanda_100

Like you, I just quit smoking. It's been about 39 hours for me....but who's counting, right? I am doing as I am told on this site - I am spending a HUGE amount of time reading blogs and posts and feeling more and more encouraged. Like you, I am astounded with the support on this site, and it's motivating me to "keep my quit on" and also to reach out to others. What a gift! So keep us posted on your progress.