cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Nicotine replacement therapys

Trisha76
3 11 122

I am on day six without any nicotine replacement-(gum) and while the sugarless gum is working sometimes my mind just goes oh my God I don’t have any nicotine in my body!  It is almost equal to a panic attack. So then I do my deep breathing and settle down and tell myself that I have the power and only with my hands would anything be put in my mouth and it doesn’t take long for the feeling to go away.  Thank goodness.
I am amazed how this drug just keeps playing these mind games.  I have several more strips of the 4 mg gums and need to get them to my friend as she told me yesterday that she is chewing 8 to 9 pieces of gum a day and has been doing that for 10 years. And since my mind won’t let go of it I think I just need to get it out of the house and I plan on doing that tomorrow. Just wanting to post and to let my ex friends know that I love coming to this site as it helps me and sometimes all I want to do is just read and learn.

11 Comments
About the Author
I started smoking at 25 and it took me a year to learn to inhale so I really was hooked by 26. I have smoked 50 years and quit August 11, 2020 so today is my 28th day. My husband of 54 years died March 1 and he had smoked for 65 years. I knew when he died I would quit as I had tried 5 times before but his smoking made me jealous or I could smell it. Used him as an excuse to start smoking again. I am retired from a university. Raised in Nebraska and living in Iowa since 1978.