cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Nicotine Patch Works Great

kalibrain
0 11 11

I usually do not share about my effort of quitting, but I think it is worth to mention you all that nicotine patch really really works. I don't even remember my cigarette during the day. Becomeanex sent me 2 packs of nicotine patch when I signep up for their research study and was selected to receive them. At first, I didnt think it is going to help me to quit, but starting from the first day till now (which is my 4th day), I feel it is easy to quit with some medication comparing to cold turkey. Because I tried cold turkey, and I did a great job for like 2 weeks but then started again. I mean even a good start can push you out from your way of quitting. Your body also need some biological or chemical changes as well as your mentality. I hope you guys are doing well, and would be successful for better life.

Good luck.

Cheers

11 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

the patch can help.

it won't keep you quit.

you need to learn what it takes, have a plan for when the nicotine in patch isn't taking care of the mentality part.

kalibrain

That's absolutely true, but I assume my triggers weaken when I use patches. I hope I can learn to stay away from my triggers. Thanks for the reply.

linda258

Sorry,  Very glad that the patch is working for you... but, for me I hate to see anyone push the use of nicotine. 

kalibrain

I was skeptical at first and also I didn't like to sound I am pushing it. If I was, I am sorry, too. I just shared my experience so far. 

YoungAtHeart

You are most welcome in our community!

The most important thing you can do  is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Deena-A-Yenni

Welcome and please read "jonescarp aka dale"s page too.  It's an easy read and will mentally prepare you for your quit journey.  Education is key.  I'm excited that you found us through the route of getting help with patches.  That is neat.  I used them too and they have their purpose but I too, took them off when I thought I was strong enough to handle the triggers.

lois2

Welcome to the site, i am on the patch. it helps me .  

SweetMelissa4

After 2 failed attempts in my life to stop smoking... one just last week, I finally called my doctor and recieved the patches also.  I'm going on 23 hours now and they actually help me tolerate the withdrawl more.  I was smoking 5 to 6 cigs a day so my doctor put me on the lowest mg which is 7mgs.  I still don't feel the greatest but I can handle it now.  I was worried I was going to be putting more nicotine in my system than I already was, but I'm not or I would assume I would feel better than I do.  I'm glad that I made the choice to try the patches also....  I guess they work for some people and others.  Congratulations on your quit!  4 days is amazing!  Keep up the great work and stay strong.....

promise_judy

Congrats on 4 days smoke free. I personaly can't advise you on the use of patches but go to Dales page and read as much as you can. Also read whenever someone lets you have a link. The mental part is approximately 90% of the problems smokers have while trying to quit. So, be prepared and educate yourself.

Keep on adding those smoke free days.

XOXO

Brenda_M

I used the patch at first. It helped me, because I thought I was mostly just physically addicted to nicotine. So I'd wear it, and then when I thought, "I need a cigarette," I'd say,"No, you don't. You have the patch on. You're getting nicotine, you dope." And it helped me dismiss my cravings and see them for what they were. I didn't go through the whole program with them, but they deserve a lot of credit in my quit.

Welcome to the site! Hope to see you around!

Thomas3.20.2010

Using patches is a fine idea 

- IF you also relearn living without the smoke!

Patches won't do that for you! YOU do that!

Best wishes to you and WELCOME to the Blogs!

Please continue to Blog!