cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Nicotine Addiction Recovery Meditation -- Day 53 (Re-Post)

AutumnWoman
0 5 11

Here is another reading from Karen Casey’s book, If Only I Could Quit: Recovering from Nicotine Addiction.  As the saying goes, “Take what you need and leave the rest.”

DAY 53

“No longer killing myself on an installment plan feels wonderful.”

When we quit smoking, we also quit deluding ourselves about the harm nicotine does to the body.  It kills, and our lungs have been damaged.  Time is a healer.

Even though we’ve been off cigarettes only a few weeks, a glance in the mirror reveals cleaner teeth and clearer skin.  Our pores are no longer clogged with the toxins from nicotine.  Even our hair is shinier and less brittle.  Nicotine squeezed life from every part of our body.  Time is healing us.

All we’ve had to do is stop smoking and every part of our physical life is adjusting to this freedom from the killing effects of nicotine.  But sometimes we have to personally intervene to help our attitude adjust.  Not every day are we content without the numbing effects of nicotine.  Some days we fail to appreciate having more energy, cleaner teeth and healthier skin.   Let’s look for support from others who understand our struggle on the rough days.  Tough times will come – but they will go.

I’m in charge of my attitude.  A moment of silence will help me adjust it.

5 Comments