cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Nicotine Addiction Recovery Meditation -- Day 30 (Re-Post)

AutumnWoman
2 4 57

The following is from the Karen Casey book, If Only I Could Quit: Recovering from Nicotine Addiction.  As the saying goes, “Take what you need and leave the rest.”

DAY 30

“I had been putting off quitting for years.  But now I’ve done it!”

There’s generally a lot of planning and talk, along with a few false starts, before we are able to leave cigarettes alone.  And that’s all part of the process.  There is no right way to quit.  There are as many ways to quit as there are smokers who want to give up tobacco.

Self-talk to support the decision to quit is valuable because our subconscious tucks away all the information we feed it.  Affirming we are happy nonsmokers, particularly on every occasion we’d have normally smoked a cigarette or two, will help to break the old pattern of behavior while at the same time create a new image of ourselves.  We have tremendous power, personally, to determine who we want to be and to strengthen those traits that will foster the identity that best suits us.

I am happy not smoking.  I savor the strength I feel from sticking to this decision.

4 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

Smoke FREE is the Only Truly HAPPY Way to BE!

Thank You, Sheryl!

Chris265

Trying to be a happy non-smoker.  Thanks for the encouragement.

motherlovebone

This is lovely.  I especially like the creating a new image of ourselves part.  Thanks, Sheryl.  xo~mlb

Nyima_1.6.13

I'm finally liking my "new normal"! I am am finally a happy ex smoker but it took a while! thanks for the blog Sheryl!