cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Nice to be here

grizzmax
0 13 16

I am a 32 year old married female. My quit date is on September 3. I'm trying not to feel desperate about wanting to achieve this goal. I'm trying to stay focused and positive but I feel desperation creeping in. I'm afraid of failing at something again in my life.

13 Comments
imadeer
cookie804

welcome to the ex family. Congratulations on your decision to quit. We will be here to help you so blog blog blog your feelings and read all the information that the members offer to you. I have quit before but never with the support of this group. They are so loving and empathetic and always willing to help.

God bless

Carolyn and Cookie

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your life changing decision.  Education is the key here, you have to be knowledgeable about this addiction and how to handle your quit.  You will be sent links for reading material and givin alot of good advice.  We do it all here laugh, cry, pray and first and for most we support each other.  Visit often, read, learn and kick this addiction.

Jackie

sparky26

Welcome to Ex , you well have lots of helpful information and support here to be successful in your quit . Listen to the elders , don't be afraid , you can do this! 

Junior7

Welcome!  So glad you are here!  You can do this!  We will be there to support you!

annb
Please be reassured, you can't fail, if you don't give up!!! 🙂 And that goes double with the help of this Site!! Congrats on your decision and Welcome!!!
Deena-A-Yenni

Welcome!!  Your quit is doable.  It's normal to feel desparate but if you go to jonescarp aka dale's page and read his blog you will find some comfort in your journey to quit smoking cigarettes.  His blog will mentally prepare you for things to come and knowledge is key.

DebiD

Welcome! Just take it one day at a time. If you want this, you can do it. Stress, boredom, or any other excuse we use to smoke won't cause you to light up. Only you can do that. Prepare your self by reading all you can about the addiction. It's not just a habit. Be easy on yourself, and find distractions for when you start to think of smoking. Stay positive. No thoughts like "I hope I can do this", but thoughts like "I KNOW I can do this". Say it out loud. Be excited to quit! No reason to dread it! The freedom you will get from being a non-smoker is sooooo worth it!

Sick-of-it

Please know that you can do this and you won't  always be craving.  I am almost eight month into my quit and all I did was choose everyday not to smoke and I wouldn't allow any cheating.  This site will help, if you will keep positive that will be 99% of the battle.

laura132

I read your blog. I read your blog again. Then I went back and read what I already read twice before. I sense uncertainty. It sounds to  me like you aren't convinced that YOUR DECISION is indeed the best decision for you. Although I can not make that type of determination for you I can assure you of this... Once you have made a  committment to yourself and if you educate yourself and STICK WITH US, you wont fail! YOU have to want this quit!! No one is going to GIVE IT TO YOU- YOU ARE GOING TO EARN IT! Its NOT easy. Its NOT fun. IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW YOU ARE VERY FRIGHTENED OF FAILURE BUT PLEASE REALIZE THAT YOU CANT FAIL AT SOMETHING IF YOU DONT GIVE IT 100% of your effort.

Laura

marilyn_marmac

Hi ! Welcome aboard! As Franklin D. Roosevelt said, “Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself!” You can do anything you set your mind to do so don't let the fear hold you back. Is that fear natural? Yes, it is! I think most of us were terrified when we quit. Quitting smoking seemed to be almost on the same level as giving up our best friend or soulmate! When you stop and think about the fear, doesn't it seem odd that we would have such a strong emotion about quitting? As you read the educational links, you will find education and attitude will be the key to your success, you will realize just how much control that little cigarette has over everything you do...and you will learn how to make it go away! The educational links will also help you find your smoking triggers — those things that make you want to smoke — and re-learn how to handle them without cigarettes.

• Prepare yourself mentally. Don't allow yourself to think negative! If you allow yourself to think you are going to fail, you probably will. Put a solid "I'm Going to Win!" in your head. Write it down and tape signs everywhere to remind yourself that failure is not an option!
  •   
  • When you have an urge, do something! Don't allow yourself to continue to think about it or tell yourself that you want a cigarette. Tell yourself this is nicotine addiction raring it's ugly head and DON'T give in to it. The urge WILL PASS! Just fight it while it's there.
  •   
  • Make a 'quit kit' that contains a list of distraction techniques and things to help you through the urges. Add cinnamon sticks, crunchy things (carrots, celery, chips some hard candy, lots of water), lemons…biting into a lemon or sticking your head in the freezer and taking a deep breath really does help you get through.
  •   
  • Take it 1 minute at a time! Those minutes will turn to hours and hours will soon turn to days. Before you know it, you will have a few months under your belt and will rarely even think of a cigarette.
  •   
  • Don't allow yourself to get hungry or thirsty! Drink a glass of water and eat a healthy snack if you feel an urge coming on.
  •   
  • Don't allow yourself to get overly tired. Your body will actually need more rest as it tries to heal itself from the addiction.
  •   
  • Beware feelings of anger or feeling lonely. Remember, you are not alone! Every member of this group has been exactly where you are and we will be here to help you in any way we can. If you feel that you are about to break, come to us FIRST!! Let us help you through it.
  •   
  • If you are having a hard time...reach out for support! Each person on this site started with a 1st day. We understand and can offer suggestions and motivation.
  •   
  • http://www.whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html - nicotine addiction 101
  •   
  •            

lynne31

I felt the same way. I have quit so many time. All my worries were "what if I don'r\t succeed again,what if I start smoking . How many people will just laugh at me . Oh all kinds of thoughts went thru my head. Then I found this site. I am presently 16 days smoke free.  I feel so different ,I feel confident, and strong. I've had some strong temptations especially this past weekend, however my wonderful deseased father in-law told me many years ago. "You are 1 cigarette from suscess or failure" . This quote has helped me so much this time around . I also find if I'm having a strong urge I have to get busy doing something and guzzle water.  Good luck on your qiut, never stop trying.

grizzmax

Wow. The support I just got from reading all of those comments was exactly what I was looking for. They brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for all of the advice and kind words. I am a sponge at this point and ready to begin the education I need to understand this addiction. I'll be researching and reading every link sent to me! Your efforts will not be in vain. I particularly liked the thought of a kit of goodies to have with me at all times to help with cravings.

Most of my friends are smokers and so is my husband. I'm so glad I found this site because I need more support than my one non-smoker friend and my family who I only see a few times a month. Maybe I'll be seeing more of them until I can be around my other friends.... Anyway, THANK YOU for responding and showing me support. I WILL QUIT!!