cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

News from a Neophyte.

ubananc-y
0 9 137

I began this process in mid April 2014.  I have not used any nicotine replacement medications yet, but plan to soon.  I have tracked my cigarettes by wrapping the pack in an 81/2 x 11 piece of paper which I then wrap up with 2 elastic bands, unwrapping and then writing down all cigs, the time smoked, what I was doing, what I was feeling, and how urgent the cigarette on a scale of 1 - 5 with 5 being the highest. ( I have never moked in my house, but have a covered balaconyat the ready which I use and have never smoked in my car so they are not triggers locations.)  What I learned from the cigarette log, is that I will wake up in a brief but oiverwhelming panic which rapidly subsides.  I have managed to postpone my 1st cig. for 1/2 hour after awakening and drinking a whole cup oif coffee without a cig. and doing some chores.  My urges seem to be more emotional in nature than addiction though I am an addict for cigarettes.  I never knew I was a drug addict before because I have a pressing medical problem, yet am still smoking.  I have smoked for 2/3 of my life and have no memory of what it was like to be a non-smoker. When I remember when and where I had my 1st cig, did not cough, looked toward the heavens and said "Thank you God, I was born to smoke"

Other tricks are that I cannot drink very much coffee at all, I hold my cigs and light them in the opposite hand.  It helps to hold something in my hand like a fat pen when I am not smoking.  I have done a 4th step inventory on my smoking, noting that fear was the roiot of my smoking.  I shared it with another human being and am now writing a nightly gratitude list on the modest little victories I do have.  My quit date is mid May 29th, a memorable day since it's my birthday. and becoming an ex would be an appropriate and marvelous gift. 

I also know that I have to do less thinking and learning for more doing.  All comments will be helpful

9 Comments