cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

New quitter

so_done
0 18 42
Hi. My name is Jude. I'm 39 yr old male living near Nashville TN. I used this site a few years back and it really helped me to quit. I quit for 5-6 years. Relapsed about a year and a half ago. My grandpa is dying of lung cancer rn and is going quickly. I want to be around and be healthy for my kids and loved ones. I woke up the past 2 morning hacking and wheezing and couldn't fall back asleep. I decided no more and haven't smoked since last night. Almost 12 whole hours...lol. I hope I didn't set my self up for failure by not seeing a quit day and working towards it. Not sure if I should do that now n work towards it or if I'm just looking for excuses to buy a pack. Please let me know your opinions. Ty. Jude (so_done)
18 Comments
plug66

sounds like an excuse to me, but hey, we have all made justifible​ excuses, at one time or another. I think you can still set a quit day for today, or maybe even a day that has passed, not sure good luck and welcome back btw, if you are so done, then be done!!!!

JonesCarpeDiem

I didn't set a quit day until 5 days before I quit. I did it at the counter when I knew I was buying my last pack.

You've quit for 5-6 years. It's time to do it again.

My page may be of help.

If you click on my cat, he will take you there.

Mike.n.Atlanta

I just surprised myself & quit. It can work if you make the comittment.

Go to Dale's page & read up. You won't be sorry.

Keep on keepin on,

so_done
Your prob right. Thank you for responding quickly. I haven't gotten that pack that my brain thinks I want. Im about to smoke a joint and do a dab and hopefully that helps. This sucks. Lol
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You have already made the decision - my advice is to stick to it.  If not, what's to keep you from doing the same thing again and again....remember, there is never a good reason to smoke, there are only excuses!!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

so_done
Ty Nancy. Honestly, I'm feeling discouraged right now. I can't think of anything else but smoking a cigarette. I've read multiple people say 3 minutes. But it's been about 3 hours for me and is all I can think about still. I don't smoke indoors and driving is a huge trigger for me. I'm afraid to leave my house right now. This sucks
TerrieQuit

Hello, and Welcome to EX, Jude! We are so glad you are here! This is a great place to quit smoking. You have been given links to great information and good advice above. Please do the readings and listen to the Elder's (folks with 1 year + quit) They know a lot about this addiction. Education, willingness to do whatever it takes not to smoke, determination and commitment are the keys to a successful quit!

I would like to recommend a group called The Daily Pledge Group. It's fun and will help reinforce your commitment not to smoke!

Just click on the link below and scroll down and take the person's hand before you and promise not to smoke! You can state your # of days, post a picture or whatever you want! This is your quit be proud of it! Please join us!

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/forum/topic/8397504/jump-into-june/

This link is also on my page and is also a featured group on our home page!

Hope to see you there!    Terrie

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

If you would like to join the group, use the link below, and look to the left, there is a place that says join group, just click it!

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/daily-pledge

so_done
Man. I'm 2 secs away from failing already. I can't even go 1 morning without? Wtf. Is it easier with a quit date? Should I cut down first?
paulh

you can do it again. Your story is like mine, quit for 6 years and relapsed.

so_done
Somehow I still haven't given in. I don't know how long I can hold out tho. I think I'm going to set a quit date for 5 days from now. Hope you'll still support me
so_done
Another confession. I relapsed worth opiates also about a year ago. It's only been a week yesterday for writing them cold turkey. I think I'm doing to much at once
kwitntime

Hello,

You have 12 hours behind you... that is a win in itself! Keep pushing through the urges. I a am trying to get day 3 behind me. Walk with me and I will walk with you! Stick with the group. The folk that I have met since signing up are instrumental to me. I hope that we can be instrumental to you.

Stay strong. As with all things, it is one day at a time!

Bernie

tjames9008

Don't worry I am feeling the same way and I have a prescription to help...One thing that is really helping me take my mind off it is I have a bag of suckers and I am doing word searches on the computer. I know it may not be an ideal thing but its helping me. We can do this!

so_done
I failed already. I felt it was too much right now. I'm not done tho. I'm setting a quit date within a week and I'm be using this website until then. Don't give up on yet please. I can do it, I have to. I have no choice really. I want my life back
tjames9008

I understand completely apparently COPD and Emphysema run in my family so I have to too or else I will be on  oxygen when I'm 40.

JonesCarpeDiem

stick your head in the freezer and count backwards from 20 next tiime.

Pack your ,outh with ice cubes and try to not get brain freeze as they melt.

Bite ino a lemon skin and all.

shashort

YOu can do this!!! I can tell you those suggestions Dale mentioned above works.  Hard to smoke with mouth full of ice and I would rather have brain freeze than smoke  Haven't had to bite the lemon yet but carry it to places I feel could be a threat.  Just carrying the lemon does the trick for me as I don't like sour and it puckers me up just thinking of having to bite it. But will bite that lemon before I smoke again.  I am still young in my quit with 24 days of freedom.  Another thing that helped me is I bought me a water bottle and take it every where with me. If or when I get an urge I drink a big gulp of cold water and it seems to help and your doing a hand to mouth movement as well just healthier for you.

prague

You have your grandpa's imminent death to deal with. When you're ready, begin your journey to quit...a commitment to both of you.