cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

judithj
0 8 31

Hello, my name is Judith and I am new to this site.  I not only want to quit but have to for health reasons!  I just finished reading Allen Carrs book and although it was a good read it didn't help me to quit smoking 😞

My doctor prescribed Chantix today but I am hesitant about it, thoughts please.

8 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

I'm sorry to hear that you have health issues. I'm glad you read Allen Carr's book - that's a good start! As for Chantix, it's totally up to you whether you have talked yourself into needing something or if you can give Smart Turkey a chance. Smart Turkey is not - I repeat not - Cold Turkey! It involves using knowledge about Nicotine Addiction and Recovery in order to stop sloooowly killing yourself with sickerettes! Actually even if you do use Chantix you will still have to acquire knowledge if you really are determined to have a successful quit! 

What I do know is that those who have quit for more than a Year by far report having used knowledge and support to achieve that! We have and offer Both! So you're in the right place! Keep reading and then make a decision.

lsumon

I am having success with chantix. However I have heard some do not. I do have some bizarre dreams but not ,any other side effects. I would suggest also working the program here. I think I may be having an easier time if I had. 

Goodluck with your quit

judithj

Thank you for your input,  the one thing that Mr. Carrs book did for me was to make me aware of every cig I pick up and that it is a disgusting habit!  I was so disappointed in myself that I couldn't quit.

I am going through radiation treatments for a growth on my right vocal cord and my doctor is really pushing me to quit, you would think that would be inspiration enough right?  I have smoked for 50 years have tried to quit before using hypnosis and Ziban with no avail, this time I have to make it.

JACKIE1-25-15

Hi Judith, welcome to Ex.  Glad you have made the decision to quit. Have you set a quit date. Do you have a plan.  Allen's Carr book does not magically make you quit smoking.  It is a book for you to get a better understanding of the habit.  The most important book is yourself.  What do you want, when you want it, how you are going to go about it.  Starting is not the easier part, staying is not the easier part.  The easiest part is making up in your mind that you are not going to smoke no matter what.  You have to be willing to allow yourself to go through the withdrawal, cravings,  urges and you are willing to do what ever it takes not to smoke.

Strudel

Welcome to the site! I didn't use Chantix, but I did use a similar medication (Welbutrin). The biggest help - this site! Be sure to stick around here - read lots of blogs. I also like the course at - http://quitsmokingonline.com/

Stay close! Again - welcome! 

judithj

Thank you, I will check into it!

judithj

Has anyone tried Nicodyne?  I ordered it but hope its not a scam 😞

The Chantix is toooooooooooooooooo expensive.

kitkat17

Welcome to the community Judith

I have read Allens Carr.Some parts were good. some were depressing. different

opitions. I am going to quit on July 6th. I have had trouble just before I want to quit.

I was smoke frr or 5 days. I slipped up, changed my date at least twice. This time

I am determined. As Chantix I was afraid to use it because some of the side effects that

might occur. I am using nicortine gum. I have tried smoke patches. It veries from

person to person. How strong and persistant U want to suceed.  Keep  reading

blogs. Go on internet , You can do it.