cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

NOT DOING SO GOOD

joann229
0 18 127

I cant seem to get going.  I need some concrete help. some words of encouragement please.  If I could get a group of friends that know how to encourage people I would appreciate it.  Thank you.

18 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

TerrieQuit

Hello Joanne! and Welcome to EX! Have you already quit smoking? or set a quit date? There will be someone along shortly to give you a link to the Allen Carr book "The Easy way to quit smoking" It may already be up by the time I get this posted! I type slow! LOL

If you do the reading and the tracking and trigger exercizews at the first page of this site it will help you with your quit alot! Hang in there and NOPE Not One Puff Ever!

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

Try this in the meantime!

I Can't Quit on my Quit!

TerrieQuit

See I told you I type slow! LOL!

The link to the book is in the comment above mine!

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Joann-

Be sure you update your profile and update your profile picture so that people are more likely to interact with you.

Welcome to the community. There are a lot of great people here to support you in your quit!

Mark

EX Community Manager

Thomas3.20.2010

Please do the Reading!

Your Brain has been hijacked by your Drug of Choice - Nicotine!

The Reading will penetrate your Addictive Thinking and nourish your Freedom Loving Executive Control! 

WELCOME! If you follow our advice you will SUCCEED!

jacks1125

Hi Joann,

welcome to a new begining. It may take a moment , but I believe if  you just Pray, breath and realax. it will all come together. The above reads are great tools. take advantage of the tools on this sight. keep bloging asking questions, smile .laughing knowing in the end you will be an incredible non-smoker...A big congrat on taking the huge step to say I want to stop/or have... We are here for you Always!!

Jacque

CatsRsmart

Hello, so very glad you are here. You are definitely in the right place. Our community makes all the difference. Tons of great solid information and overwhelming support. People from all over and at different phases of freedom from nicotine. Stay close to this site, read, read, read, blog, blog, blog. You will find there is so many of us, it is hard to keep up with everyone. But it is here, together, we find our way to freedom! Welcome.

Cats @ 31 DOF

JACKIE1-25-15

Also check out www.whyquit.com.  There is a lot of additional beneficial information to read and study.  Look for Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101.  

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

http://whyquit.com/ffn/

Both were extremely helpful for me.  Stay close to the site and learn, ask questions. Read the blogs and most of all enjoy your commitment to quit smoking

If you will do the work youwill have success

Kimshine

Welcome Joann!

You are definitely in the right place! Please do the reading it makes such a difference! Make a committment not to smoke no matter how uncomfortable you feel or how many craves you have. It's a choice and choose no to those urges!

Giulia

You've got a whole bunch of friends here that will encourage you, never fear!  Support is what made THE difference in my quit.  I truly don't think I'd have gotten this far without it.  From your badges earned, it appears you're doing your homework.  It will pay off big time. Check out the videos they have here too:  How Nicotine Addiction Works

You get started by educating yourself about this addiction.  Reading the blogs and supporting others on their journeys will help to boost your motivation.  Chin up and have heart!  Glad you've joined us.

blaquequeen83

The fact that you are HERE and your asking for help, shows how strong you are and should prove to you that you're trying!! Please keep hanging in there! It's hard but it DOES GET BETTER!!! Don't ever give up on yourself, and remember you're a fabulous work in progress!!

joann229

thank you all for your kind words of support.  I do feel better already and tomorrow is another day.  Didn't somebody famous say that?  Well I'm off to make dinner, another test I hope to pass with at least a C.  thank you all.

Dotgirl_1-28-16
Welcome joann! You can do this!!!
MarilynH

Welcome Joann, you definitely are in the right place because we're all here for you and want you to succeed. Be sure and do all of the recommended reading because it will help strengthen your resolve to quit smoking and to stay quit, you can do this one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time or if need be one second at a time, stay strong and stay close to this site. 

sadiewilliams

Please don't give up!!  

At first it seems like everything comes at you.....

What I had to learn, and really understand, is with or without smoking you will still face challenges!

I take it one day at a time.....sometimes it's a minute at a time, then I close my eyes and breathe deep!  

Believe in yourself!! 

lois2

Joann you do the reading stay close to this site, you are in the right place.

Strudel

You have found that group of friends! This place it the best for support! You can do this! I smoked for 40 years - I came here - did the reading Nancy gave you above - and I quit! That was over 5 years ago! So - please - read and stick around! Welcome! 

joann229

I have been reading all your comments to me and I have been smiling a lot.  Nancy, love  that pdf.  printed out some to read tonight .. Found some graphics to hang around the house  I can QUIT  I can do It   stuff like that...  I put my head in the freezer  took a deep breath and came out with an ice cream sandwich   bad move...  i'm heavy to begin with.  haha... time to go to bed  no cigarette bedtime.... thank you all   busy tomorrow  let you know when I get home       and Studel  love your name  apple and cheese lol