cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

NON-TRIGGERS ANYONE??

Sootie
0 10 0

All of us talk a lot about triggers….things, places, situations which cause us to want to smoke. But I was thinking today….what about “non triggers”? Things, places, situations where we never smoked and so…..there is no association between those things and smoking.  Possibly harder to come up with…..but still they are there.

For me---

1.      This is probably one for a LOT of us……the bathroom! I realize some “did” but most of us probably never smoked there. Staying in the bathroom will insure you are clean!! Get some bubbles or some aroma therapy salts and take a soak. Relaxing and a non trigger.

2.      Church- you will not only be clean but quite holy! C’mon----no one smoked in church/synagogue/mosque or whatever. Spending more time in these places can ONLY lead to good!

3.      For some reason….big smokers that we were….my husband and I did not smoke while walking in the woods. No plan….just didn’t. Actually walking anywhere, I just never smoked. Smoking “doesn’t go” with walking.

4.      Here’s a “fun” one…..reach back into childhood. The other night I went skating. I NEVER smoked while skating because I was a kid when I last skated. It was really, really fun. It doesn’t have to be skating…..bike riding will work or even a game or hobby you did when you were a child. Smoking has no hold there. (You know what is really fun? Skipping……find a private place and give it a try---seriously…..it’s great. I don’t know why I ever gave it up.)

5.      Swimming……hard to smoke while swimming---you have to admit. If you are a swimmer I bet you never smoked there.

6.      Playing the piano. I took piano lessons for many, many years when I was a child. And when I play the piano----smoking simply never had a place in that activity….an ash tray on my piano??!!!! No way.

So while you are working on your triggers…..have some fun and work on your “non triggers”. They were probably some of the most enjoyable times you ever had.

Stay Strong

10 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

Oh, Yeah!

I never smoked in the presence of children!

I never smoked while eating!

I never smoked while painting (yes, I used to paint!)

I never smoked while playing sports!

I never smoked on the first date!

I never smoked around my grandparents, parents, or godparents!

Great discussion!

YoungAtHeart

GREAT idea for a blog!  I never smoked:

while on the computer

when taking a walk

hanging out clothes

working in my flower gardens

raking leaves

working on sculptures or throwing pots on a potter's wheel

drawing/painting

doing flower arrangements/wreaths

swimming laps (doh!)

grocery shopping........

(I could go on - but I will leave some for the rest of the community!)

Nancy

annb
Great blog! Way to turn it around in a positive light!! Yes!!!
ShawnP

wow i am sad to say i managed to smoke with almost all these ideas except church .I  can add one and thats not smoking in the presence of my mom. She would of whooped my butt!

imaquiter2

Hmmm

I've never smoked while Crocheting( can't work the hook, hold the yarn, and smoke at the same time)

Bowling

cooking

Babysitting 

imaquiter2

I should add i have never smoked while watching a quit smoking ad.

Maybe i can add that to my list of how to deal with triggers watching a bunch of quit smoking ads on you tube might actually help. Thank you so much for starting this list. I think its a great way to come up with ideas for beating triggers.

JonesCarpeDiem

good blog.

i think we encourage people too find something they love to do that releases endorphins because it isn't associated with smoking.

summer-07-06-15

some times I just quite wait to have do things done and over with, so that I could get the evil ciggs. Getting a pat on my back because I went without the ciggs for the period of time it took go by. Stronger you are is to without the ciggs afterwards. That's the hard part.

moody_9-18-13

Never smoked while shopping! 🙂 

Speaking of which, maybe I should head to the mall to finish Christmas shopping.....

bethso

Great idea!!!  I never smoked:

In my house

While shopping

While driving

While walking

While chewing gum

About the Author
I quit smoking in 2009 after years and years of addiction. I just became sick and tired of the whole smoking thing. This site was a lifesaver with the support I received...so as you can see, I hung around to help others. I became friends with many people....some are here now and some are gone. Welcome to anyone who is new....this is EX....we are all here for each other.