Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

My quit is real!

Bree19
2 11 80

I’M REALLY STARTING TO BELIEVE IN MY QUIT

Husband’s had a niggly cough for a few months.  Wouldn’t go to the doctor – besides, his singing voice wasn’t affected so the cough was only bothering me.  Last Friday the cough turned nasty.  Last night he coughed so much he started hurling and shivering/shaking.   One very long and awake night later I phoned our GP at 7 this morning and could see him at 11:30. 

Do you know, through the entire night of staying awake, keeping Derek warm, making tea, listening to his breathing when he dozed, helping him when he coughed himself awake, pushing my panic right down, trying NOT to think of Thomas Thomas3.20.2010 and COPD ….. I did not ONCE even think of a cigarette?  The whole night – never slept.   Kathryn says my default mode used to be panic..smoke…panic some more.   Now it’s just pure panic…progress?

Anyhow long, short (Whahahaha!!), Dr thoroughly examined him, told us he’s virtually certain it’s bronchopnuemo-long word infection but sent us to x-rays anyway (what fun waiting ……..zzzzzzz ……at radiology for the report).  Tried to leave to go back to Dr. with pics.   Dead battery – Einstein here left the lights on.  3 Burly young men push-started me in reverse (very proud of myself – been YEARS since I clutch-started the car).  Got to gate to leave hospital – parking ticket gone.  Joy.  Literally burst into tears in her face and she just let us through – bless her. 

But my blog point - while waiting in the car for Kat and Derek (thanks for not pointing out my head lights were on, pedestrians/smokers!) I had a good view of the smoking area outside and watched them come and go...and come back again – wheelchairs, crutches, walkers, drips.  Watched them light up, take that first long deep drag, the puffing, the ashing and then killing it and hobbling back in.  It astonishes me that I ever smoked.  My quit is solid.  But I’m not complacent. I will be in recovery the rest of my life.

Those poor pathetic people sucking that poison into their lungs – I could only sit and shake my head and wonder how I could have done that to myself for 40+ years.  I watched them, tasted it, remembered the feeling of lighting up but not once wished for my own smoke.

Yes I did the work, I made the commitment, stuck to the advice, read myself into a whole new pair of stronger spectacles, used my quit-kit, prepared properly but it would not have worked without your encouragement and wisdom.  Which is why I still haven’t skipped one day since Feb27 – I come to read every single day.  Thank you Elders and all my other buddies!  

If you are new to the site or starting your quit, or been here for a long time, PLEASE heed the advice available to you here, free of charge and given to us with genuine empathy and understanding.  They know whereof they speak.

Oh Derek will be fine by the way – bronchitis 3rd time in 82 years.  Turbo boosted anti-biotics and pro-biotics, a week’s rest, hydration and loving nursing from me (oh dear…help?)

Bree 223 DOF (7+ MONTHS!) and still staying smoke-free one day at a time.

11 Comments
YoungAtHeart

PHEW!  So happy Derek is OK - I know you both were scared - what a night!  I hope you are taking it as easy as you can taking care of him (yeah, I REMEMBER those days!)  Hope the antibiotics work ASAP!

I am SO happy you worked the program and are FREE!  Makes my heart glad!

Nancy

Sandy-9-17-17

I'm a pretty new quitter, 3 weeks gone by already, but these stories sure do reinforce my quit!  

I will protect it like gold!  

So many things that happened to you and you didn't fail to protect!  So proud of you!  

Wishing Derek a speedy recovery!  

Oh and people don't tell people their lights are on, mainly because now a days the lights 

on cars stay on for a short spell after you turn off the engine!  

Sandy

Jennifer-Quit

Wishing Derek a speedy recovery.  Good to hear from you - it does feel good to get to the place where you can get through stressful times without a single thought of a cigarette. So happy for you!

JustSharon

Hi there Bree! So sorry to hear of Derek's illness. Been there myself in the past and do know that lots of rest is a real key to recovery. How's your knee? I'm finally getting my first knee done on October 25th! Have to quit smoking and I'm still not there yet. I've got to be the thickest headed person I know. Miss you my friend.

Bree19

Miss you too babe!   So happy for you about first knee replacement.  It is the weirdest feeling (after a month or so) to realise your knee is "just there" and it's working the way it used to.  It's like you've only imagined the pain before the surgery.  After my 2nd replacement I'm now even more astonished at the improvement in the quality of my life.   Will diarise the date.  I have 2 wishes only you can grant:

1.  Please pay attention to all their instructions about movement - makes for a great recovery

2.  I would be so elated if you could kick-start your quit by this coming Saturday.  TWO WEEKS smoke free before they cut!  What a milestone that will be.

Hugs and love

Bree xoxox

Bree19

Thanks Jenn.  It's a real eye opener.  And I'm proud as punch.  Jennifer-Quit

elvan

Bree19‌ WOW, what a night and then DAY you had.  I am so proud of you, so happy FOR you, you have come SUCH a long ways, you are absolutely getting this and your journey is on solid ground.  Glad that Derek is doing alright, that must have been really scary AND exhausting.  Oh my...the battery would have made me SO ANGRY!  I have had to replace so many batteries, I have lost count of them but MOST have warranties and I have taken advantage of every one of them.  Our last car which was older than the car we have now...used to turn off the lights automatically...THIS car does NOT, it makes an alarm when you go to leave but my husband says..."oh, don't they go off on their own?"  NO, FOR THE TEN THOUSANDTH TIME, that was the OTHER car!

Glad BOTH of you are alright.

Love,

Ellen

Bree19

Sandy-9-17-17

Now see?  That's how little attention I pay to cars and their advanced and evolving gadgets and electronics.

Thanks for enlightening me Sandy.

Well done on 3 weeks - that is just marvelous.  So proud of you. 

Hugs xx

Sandy-9-17-17

Thank you Bree!  I'm proud of me too!  Can't wait to get past this disgestive problem 

I'm having though!  I think everyone has supported me in this area, and I have gotten many 

good suggestions......

Bree19

elvan

You make me giggle Ellen.  You sound like me.  Patience with repetition? - not so much - none, in fact.

Oh and I'm expecting loads of sympathy please - I'm looking after a sick/coughing/sighing/sad looking/bent-over /sneezing man.   I love him dearly.  And I promised "in sickness and in health", I know!  But really??

You are an RN.  How did you DO that?? 

But then again, nursing sisters, caregivers and school teachers are specially sent to us;    us normal folk don't handle sick men well (Sorry guys!  It's a fact.  You don't make entertaining patients)

elvan

There is NOTHING like a sick husband...they are not really our patients and that sickness and health thing does NOT refer to a cold! LOL.

There is nothing entertaining about sick husbands!

About the Author
I'm a young at heart 66 year old wife, mom and Nana-Bree. I love music and dancing. I'm so grateful to every friend at Ex who walked me through my quit 4+ years ago, with hugs, encouragement, some tough love and NEVER judging. Smoke free is the way to live.