cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

My Mother died of Lung Cancer

rob59
0 13 22

Dec. 2014 my mother passed of Lung Cancer,   It was a sad Christmas.  I grew up with her smoking.  Smoking in the car, the house, everywhere.  My oldest brother smokes when he is stressed.  I smoke around a pack a day.  I stopped drinking due to an illness I have around 2 years ago.  I was not a big drinker, but enjoyed the social drinks and small parties.  I am 56 years old I quit for 8 weeks before and after a back surgery.  So, at age 56 I knew the dangers of smoking, but I was caught up in a rather smart group of young people when I was around 13.  So, I would sneak and hide etc.  I really became a hard core smoker in my 20s.  A lot of young people smoked then.  It was a social element along with the drinks and parties.  Of cours I also held a job, sometimes two jobs, and attended college at night.  Busy, busy. The working years.  I became a teacher.

Being a smoker and a teacher there were,  of course,  long periods of time  I could not smoke.  I worked at a private school for 7 years.  We actually had a smoking shack.  The school was an out door therapeutic school for adolescent young boys.  Boys who were heading to jail, if they did not get there behaviors together.  I actually enjoyed working at the school.  I felt I actually made a difference in there.

I injured my back and had to stop working, so the all day smoking began.  I have had two back surgeries and now have IC, which is a painful Bladder syndrome.  It is so important to my health that I stop smoking.  Honestly, I have not exercised seriously in over a year.  My health is slowly declining.  There is a long story here, but this is a beginning.  

My my quit date is October 12 th.  I am reading Allen Carrs book, " The Easy Way to stop smoking".

All and any advice would be welcome.  I feel like I need to buy special gum, patches, food, or sweets.  

I need a list, or something so I can go shopping for my stop smoking date.  Right! 

13 Comments