cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

My Grandfather just died…

ctm
0 32 170
While it wasn’t completely unexpected, it still makes me sadder than words can express. In addition to being my grandfather, he was also my role model. I will miss him very, very much.

I am aware (from a theoretical perspective) that the loss of a loved one can be a powerful trigger to smoke. I’ve always wondered how I would handle the situation. The answer follows:

I refuse to even contemplate the possibility of smoking as I would dishonor the memory of his life by doing so.

So, take that, you stupid addiction!!!

I guess the main purpose of this blog (besides starting the healing process by crying my eyes out) is to remind everyone that stuff happens. When it does happen, smoking a cigarette is NOT going to solve the problem at hand. It will simply reestablish the dependency and give you the additional problem of having to start all over again. Totally NOT worth it.

Keep the faith, no matter what…

As always, thanks for listening.

Hugggs to you all and Never Take Another Puff!!!
32 Comments
Legend
I am sorry to hear about your Grandfather passing away. You are so right about not smoking a cigarette it will not solve the problem at hand. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs
Christine
debbie53
(((HUGS)))
You will be in our prayers here in Texas!
I'm sorry for your loss.
Me
grace3
I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.
sally3
(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))) I am hear for you. I am so sorry for your loss.
jan__tx
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Yes it is very hard to lose a loved one during a time of quitting. although I did not quit while my dad was living- our family had his burial service during my quitting time. It was so very hard. But knowing he is with me always i would not want to let him down by starting back.
Dana8
Chuck, I am so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. That was very well said.
sandee
I'm so very sorry Chuck..take care of yourself..and cry all you need to. It's okay.
cindywilson
I am so sorry for your loss! I will pray for your family.....
nicole
you were very fortunate to have all the time that you had with your grandfather. I think you were close to your grandfather like i was mine. I always said that when he went i would need to be committed to a nut house. I didnt get that time to do what i needed to do by myself so i still dont think that my healing process is done. It is hard. and the sting is awful. I am crying with you right now thinking about my papa and how this is the longest that we have ever gone without talking to each other. And i still pick up the phone to call him from time to time and realize that i cant. You were very fortunate to have the extra years that you were blessed with. I am 27 and my grandfather was 75 when he died. Its hard to say anything that can make these times easier.......i understand what you are going thru...take a few days to yourself and grieve.
Ben3
Im so sorry for your lost Chuck. Your grandfather is in a better place now and you should be proud of yourself for not lighting up.
hwc
chuck:

I'm giving you a virtual hug. No matter how prepared you are, there's still real sadness and grieving. I had a little cry myself last night. I think that's alright, too.
sue-otts
Chuck,
I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sending you a big HUG!
Take care of yourself.
sandi8
Chuck, Sorry about your grandfather boy do i know how you feel . (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))). Our prayers are with you and your family
Sandra3
(((Chuck))) I am truly sorry for your loss.
barbara42
(((((CHUCK)))) I am so very sorry, i am sending up a prayer for you so PEACE my brother
donna22
I'm so sorry about your Grandfather, you are in my thoughts and prayers...
cory7
Chuck,
i'm so sorry about the loss of your grandfather. try to focus on your good memories of him. God will give you the strength to get thru this difficult time. you're in my prayers.
claudia2
Chuck, I am so sorry about your loss...but I know you and you would not smoke. I am so glad you posted this. When my Father who was my hero died 12 years ago I could not cry for a log time...and then I just caved.
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. You are so strong, so admired, such a great person...God Bless.
les
((((Chuck))))! I'm so sorry for your loss, but know his memory will sustain you in the future. You are in my thoughts.
gmvirtual_gina
ahhh such a tough time! i will pray for your strength!
char3
Ahhhh, you are so loved here Chuck!
Thinking of you and your family,
Char
ctm
So I see Char.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and support. It is very much appreciated. I'm doing better today. He lived to be 94.5 years old. His health deteriorated over the past couple of years but I'll always remember him as he was the last time I saw him. Completely alert and together mentally.
Christine13
Chuck my heart goes out to you with the loss of your grandfather. You and your family will be in my prayers.
((((Chuck))))
Christine
jan__tx
just checking on ya....
SaraSmile
I just heard about your loss Chuck, so very sorry.
You are lucky to have had your Grandfather for so long!
I lost my Pappy when I was 5, sad stuff.
Way to keep your quit!
beth22
Sorry about your Grandpa Chuck, I know that's a tuff loss!!! I felt the same way about my Dad....he was a wonderful role model, but it sounds to me like you are a wonderful role model too. There will come a day....far, far away, when your kids and grandkids will say the same thing about you.
Keep the faith my friend!
carlie
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, big guy !!!!!
Robin-K
Sorry for your loss. Your Grandfather is very proud of you!
AutumnWoman
My condolences to you and your family for your loss. Your grandfather would be proud of you for staying strong, not giving up your quit.
Charmed
(((((hugs)))) I'm so sorry Chuck 😞
butterflybp2
Sorry for your lost. HUGS to you and yours...... Stay Strong.
lenna
Dear Chuck,
I have just learned of the news of the passing of your grandfather and send you my deepest sympathy for your loss.
Bless