cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

My Dilemma

joyamber
0 9 46

I went to my first real A.A. meeting tonight and the advice I was given was that alcohol addiction is worse than nicorette addiction and that I should work on the alcoholism first but I have almost 7 days nicotine free and to make matters worse I just bought a box of 4mg 160 pieces which surprisingly I haven't opened yet. I am torn what should I do?I put the gum on credit because I don't have the money for either addiction and don't want either.

9 Comments
linda.mustafa

Hi JoyAmber, I'm no expert on alcoholism , however I feel that since you've been free for seven days what is there to stop you being free for good?Think about it, sometimes the best advice we get comes from ourselves 🙂

Wish you all the best 🙂

JRC

Morning Joy Amber

Your body has essentially rid itself of nicotine after 7 days. I would question the advise you were given at AA but I am not trained in co addictions. Could you possibly get in to see your physician sooner?

At this point don't let the advise you received be an excuse to open the box of gum. Don't know enough about your alcohol intake history, but you view it as a problem. Any possibility for professional help?

Glad you came back!

smorgy8513

I agree with the 2 lovely people above.....I don't think that you should go back to the gum based on what the person at AA said.    There are many who recognize that drinking will trigger their wanting to smoke so they stop drinking......I believe that you can do both and since you have that many days without the gum don't start back now.     I agree with Janet, I think you should talk to your dr....maybe you need some other medication to help with anxiety or depression.....just sayin'

Stay strong.

Sharon 316 DOF

JonesCarpeDiem

I don't believe you weaned yourself in a deliberate way off the gum. In your last post I suggested you keep a daily log of the gradual reduction so your physical/addictive brain could catch up with your psychological brain so they were in sync in letting this "need" go and getting your brain back to normal.

no advice can be helpful if you are unwilling to make changes.

ShawnP

Cold turkey on both is probably the best way to go. Each addiction triggers the other. 

Junior7

You're still in my prayers! 

joyamber

Thanks so much everyone! It is nice to know that people care. This is such a nice second family. I have faith that I can do this. Thanks again for your support:)

annb
You really CAN JoyAmber! I agree too with all above. You've already got your quit off to a great start!! I looked at some of those links Dale put up. Awesome. Brain chemistry is so fascinating!! Education really is one of the best weapons we've got to beat these afflictions!