cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

My Bumpy Journey - III

chipper525
0 9 13

So there we were in the car.  I was in the backseat with the window to my left.  I had it partially rolled down and watched the ash on my cigarette grow and the smoke swirl about the vehicle.  I realized that ONE LOUSY CIGARETTE put me back to day one - and after all this suffering. 

The weight of the disappointment hit me squarely between the eyes....  And then I woke up. 

Vivid?  That dream was so real was that  I could taste and smell that burning cigarette but the relief I experienced once I awoke and realized that I hadn't smoked was of measurable proportion.  And that true sensation of relief was so overwhelming that it made me aware that I really DO want to keep the quit despite the doubts still floating about in my head.

Tomorrow's a big day: 14 days - or 2 weeks - or, maybe by some, 1/2 a month.  Not to minimize day 13 but it somehow just can't compare to it's older brother, day 14.

If you've followed my blog over the last three days you know that I used 1-1/2 NRT patches/day because I was such a heavy smoker and had found a few sites that stated 1 patch for 2+ pack a day people may not be sufficient; I am not recommending this method to others but will admit to doing it.   I stepped down to 1 patch/day yesterday and have maintained that throughout today.  Another step in the right direction.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else out there who has been using NRT patches has questioned their decision to use this quit-smoking method after you already have one foot in the door.  In other words, I'm wondering if I am better off - or not - using the patch.  Unfortunately, this is not a question that can be easily answered.  I have no idea if I would have made it as far as I have without the patch. I wonder if I will feel strong urges again when I reduce from Step One to Step Two and, therein, is where my concern stems from using NRT.  Probably not wise to put the cart before the horse but if anyone has any first-hand knowledge about what happens - and how you feel - when you "step down" to a lower mg nicotine patch, I'd love to hear your experience.

Yesterday, TA-DA, a report was finally written.  It took me twice - no, probably three times - as long but it was completed.  I'll find out tomorrow if it was any good and am crossing my fingers that it didn't deviate too much from my usual style.  

In talking with my boss today he made a comment that surprised me.  He said that I sounded "better" than I had.  I didn't understand.  I asked him if he meant I sounded better since day 1 of my quit?  He said no - you sound better because you're not coughing all the time. 

I was so embarrassed by my cough.  When on the phone I'd try to stifle it so the party on the other end wouldn't hear it... I guess I wasn't as successful as I thought at hiding it.   Years ago - no, make that DECADES ago - I remember hearing a woman on a bus with a true smoker's cough - the kind that really sounds more like a rattle in the chest, if you know what I mean.  I thought to myself that if I EVER started to sound like that I'd have to quit.  My cough hadn't become a rattle but was well on its way.

It's comments like "you sound better" and knowing that my cough is not only not getting worse but actually disappearing that are starting to be my inspiration. 

And, finally, the vacuuming still hasn't been completed but, rest assured, it will be waiting for me tomorrow.  Certain things in life are predictable: there are no cleaning elves and quitting smoking will never be a piece of cake.  Tomorrow, however, is Day 14 and that IS sweet.

9 Comments
ginger34

I tried patches but was allergic (I kept itching) I do want to share though that my aunt uses patches and she has been having stronger cravings lately ( she has quit for like 2 months) so she thought maybe it would be a good idea to go back to the higher milligram patch, something like she had cut down to 7 milligram for a month then boosted back up to 14 milligram and she ended up with heart palpitations and ended up going to her car to lay down, was sweating, etc. She said she prob should have gone to hospital. Other than that congrats to you for 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ex_Nancy

HI Chipper, stay with the dosage and use it as recommended...read those instructions that it came with and follow those instructions....people that smoke when they use a NRT like this could overdose and die from nicotine , so be careful and MINDFUL....I gave each level on the patch about 2-3 weeks, and it worked....stay concentrated and say NOPE=Not One Puff Ever.

YoungAtHeart

iI would strongly recommend that you do all the reading you can to understand the nicotine addicition and make your decision based on that information and what you personally think will work for you.  I took Chantix - but then landed in the hospital and  only ended up taking if for about 20 days.  When I came out of the hospital, I didn't see much point in starting up with it again and I have done fine without it.  Once I really undderstood the addiction,, it became eqsier for me to beat it, somehow.  Once I really believed that a cigarette would not calm me down, or make me feel content, or really do ANYTHING positive for me, it became so much easier to not give into a craving.  I started to see the cravings as more of a memory, "Gee, I used to always smoke a cigarette now." than a real need.  

Hope this helps!  I also had a smoking dream - but am proud to say I even resisted in my DREAM!!!!

jojo_2-24-11

Chipper, I had a couple smoking dreams that sound simular to yours. I knew that it was a dream in my dream, still woke up feeling like I let myself down for a minute or two and finally it sank in that it was only a dream.

JonesCarpeDiem

I used the patch.

Obviously your aunt is still hooked on nicotine.

I used 10 patches in my first two weeks and stepped off without any problems.

I used them to examine the mental aspects of craving and then I knew I didn't need them anymore.

There was a recent study saying that the success ratio of the patch only worked in paid studies with highly motivated people and that in the real world, the success rate is the same as without the patch.

Learn what drives you to smoke while you are on the patch.and then get off is my best advice.

DO NOT RELY ON ANY AID TO GUARANTEE YOUR QUIT>
RELY ON YOURSELF.

JonesCarpeDiem

After the nicotine has left your body, (72 hours and most of it's gone)

It's all a mental.game. Will you choose to smoke or will you not kind of thing

Patty-cake

I'm glad you're not coughing much any more. The patch can be effective for some people. You will feel a decrease in nicotine or should I say and increase in desire to smoke once you step down to the next level of the patch.

While you are wearing the patch, you are not putting a cigarette in your mouth, therefore, you are re-learning life without cigarettes. At some point, very soon, you will be done with the patch. Like you said, you have been living each day without cigarettes and you're not sure you would have been able to do it without the patch. So I guess they are helping.

Continue to follow the rules for reducing the patch. Continue each day as a non-smoker. You are doing great.

butt-kicker

You sound like you have your head in the game. As Jonescarp has said, the whole process is about using the patch as an aid while you learn how to live without cigs and examine your craves and triggers. 

Many people on this site have quit and stayed quit with the aid of the patch. 

Congrats on your fabulous 2 weeks! Remember N.O.P.E.

Diane

ryan44

I also quit with the patch. I was also a heavy smoker so I started with the 21 mg. I stayed on that about 5 weeks. When I went down to the 14 mg patch the second day was the one that was most uncomfortable. I would get urges like I had just quit. The first day of the reduction didn't really bother me because there was still the nicotine from the higher patch in me. After the second day I would adjust to the lower dose. I have been quit for 176 days and off the patch for 100. The patch did not do all the work, I came here and read the things that were recommended, I ate candy when I got a crave or apples.  It worked for  me useing the patch but only because I knew I had to be committed to quit. I have been and will continue to maintain my quit. My cough is mostly gone also. Soon you will look in the mirror and see color coming back in your face. Wait until you notice things that smell that you probably didn't smell before. Its amazing!!  So I would say use the patch and use the correct dose don't over due it, but relearn how to do things with out cigs. while on it. That way when you do go off the patch you will just have to deal with lack of nicotine.

I also had that dream that I was smoking. I think most of us have and its a real good feeling to wake up and find you did not have one.  13 days is great  and two weeks tomorrow yeah!! Be proud your doing good.