cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Monday....fail fail fail. My mind plays tricks on me. Tomorrow I start again.

John48
0 15 78

Nothing to report today really.  A whole lot of fail.  I need to get back on the horse again tomorrow.  My mind loves to play tricks on me and make every excuse in the book as to why I need to keep smoking.  You need to smoke because of this.  You need to smoke because of that.  It would be better to quit this day for this reason than today.  Tomorrow is not possible because this event or this or that or this.  Jeezus this habit sucks!  There's always an excuse with me.  I justify if with the poorest reasoning but it makes the most sense to an addicted mind.  I'm so tired of it. 

This has gotta be the strongest drug ever as far as addiction goes and getting off of it.  I've heard it is a stronger habit than heroin and I'm starting to believe it.  I don't know from personal experience with heroin but I know I"ve never had trouble like this breaking any bad habits and Ive had a few here and there.  I'm sure it's a little harder to quit smoking depending on length of time spent smoking and maybe the age which we begin.  I don't think the latter has much to do with it in most cases although in my personal experience, I think the age at which I started plays a decent part.  It's all excuses, but I'm just saying...

I started smoking when I was 11.  The kid who got me started was 10.  He had already been smoking cigs for a little and he had even smoked weed by then.  Years later I saw him at college.  We were both adults.  I  bumped into him and he had told me he was on his way to Puerto Rico, a native Jersey guy like myself, and he was fulfilling his dream of becoming a surfing beach bum - at least for a while.  He had quit smoking by then and I had not.  I thanked him, sort of tongue in cheek, but there was some seriousness to it and he knew it.  He apologized and we went our separate ways until a somewhat meeting years later courtesy of Facebook.  He was still smoke free.  Good for him.  Seriously.  I wish I could say the same and I'm glad he hadn't asked me.

When I started smoking at 11 I really wasn't a full-time smoker.  Unlike some others, I wasn't proud of smoking.  I hid it from everyone.  But that first puff behind our intermediate school back on the soccer field, one day in the summer after I had just turned 11, I was hooked.  I never did cough with that first puff as is typical from what I have heard or at least seen in movies.  In all honesty, I loved it from the start.  I remember it tasted different back then, somewhat sweeter and more pleasant, a small buzz each time.  This was before it became a habit and ritual.  I guess those were the good 'ol days before habit had creeped in.  I stayed part time with it until I was about 15 and then it became more or less a full time life hobby.  It engrossed me at that point and I thought about it often.  Back then you didn't need to be 18 to buy smokes.  You could walk into any store and just buy them.  Yeah, the clerk might look at you funny.  Yeah, he may ask why you are buying smokes at such a young age but usually just saying they were for dad was good enough to complete the purchase.  It wasn't until after I was 18 that the laws took effect.  At that point it didn't matter.

I guess the difference between quitting a habit like this and quitting another drug is that this is legal.  Just like alcohol you can go almost anywhere and buy smokes.  Legally.  The difference between alcohol and smoking is that you can almost smoke anywhere at least outside but you can't carry a beer everywhere. You can't carry alcohol in your pocket comfortably.  You can easily imbibe on smokes 20 times or more a day but it would be tough to do that consistently with alcohol.   With drinking like you would smoking you wouldn't last long.

So I say, yes, this habit is probably the toughest to break.  I've never been a crackhead, never used or got addicted to heroin or coke, but I know this is tough because it's anywhere, everywhere and can be carried legally in your pocket.  Jeezus, I hate it the more I think about it.

Tomorrow is a new day.  Wish me luck.  I think I'm going to get a small tattoo of a no smoking sign.  You know the one with the big circle with the line across it slashing through the cigarette.  If I can get it cheap I want it somewhere where I can see it and where no one else can.  Maybe the inside of my bicep so I can see it everytime I go to the gym working out.   When I feel that urge I can look at it and see such a tangible reminder that this habit and quitting it has led me to do something so extreme as to recognize its power.  Funny thing about the gym is today, as a smoker, after I worked out I did my normal smoker routine of moving my motorcycle to the side of the building somewhat out of view of prying gym members' eyes.  It is embarassing, as I've said in the past, to smoke after putting in such a tough workout.  How can any habit be good if you are so embarassed by it and feel so guilty.  That should tell me something just by itself. Quit damn it.  Quit.  Back to the tattoo...It would not just be a reminder but be sort of a celebration or a gift reminding me that I could be in worse health had I not quit.  To have this tattoo and to ever smoke again would just be plain stupid.  It would be embarassing even if no one else knew this little secret.  I would embarass myself to myself.  Yeah, you're smoking and you have a tattoo as a reminder to not smoke.  Swift move Sherlock.  That would be my incentive, to avoid this feeling of defeat and utter stupidity.  This almost 30 year habit is worth the pain and permanent reminder that it's just not worth it.  Tattoo'd commitment.  Maybe.

As is always the case, I'm thankful, appreciative and humbled by your motivating comments.  I truly do appreciate them and it helps me get back on track and then to stay on track.  There is nothing worse than having to publicly admit failure. Personally I hate it and it eats at me.  Thanks again.

15 Comments
johio

John

I have been where you are many times. I had someone tell me that I learned something everytime I failed....If that was true I should be a genuis on quiting

I also had someone tell me that you will quit when it's your time, and this is so true

So after being where you have been many times, and having lived this, and having read your blog.....I really believe this is your time for glory.

Stay involved here.....it helps......it gets better

Joe

jojo_2-24-11

John, I know that you are a very intelligent man. I am going to tell you a bit about my expereience. I TRIED to quit 3 or 4 times in my past. I always thought that once I kicked this habit, in a couple, few months, years, I could smoke an occasionaly cigarette. BS! I knew that I NEEDED to quit this time and stay quit once and for all. I educated myself on NICOTINE ADDICTION, because lets face it, there are so many chemicals in just one cigarette that we may as well be called drug addicts. Once I learned this I was on board. I read and read and read some more. I needed to know what I was up against. This is an extreme mental addiction after the first few days when your body is cleansing itself from nicotine., Once nicotine is out of your system it becomes mental. This is where your work comes in. Distract yourself from thinking about cigarettes. You need to tell yourself that you just don't do that anymore. Smoking is not an option, ever, under any circumstances. Honestly, I don't know how anybody works out at the gym and continues to smoke. Working out is one of my reinforcments and new, fun things that I do since I quit smoking. I know from my experiences if I could buy cigarettes I could smoke them. Not true, it's a slow death, and it's one that we do all by ourselves. I guess you could say slow torture or maybe even suicide. Well, I for one am not into torture or suicide and I think most intelligent people aren't either. You may know all the above things I mentioned, but until you really listen and learn that smoking is no longer a part of life you will struggle. I personally need this to be a bit easier and I knew that I was the one in control of that. : /

JonesCarpeDiem

John,

there is no luck.

ask anyone with long term success.

ask them if luck had anything to do with it.

This is about you.

This is about you NOT GIVING IN.

This is about you NOT BELIEVING ALL THE BULLSHIT about how hard it is to quit.

Most people fail at this because they buy into the brainwashing of how hard it is.

It will be what you believe it to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

YOU will succeed or fail depending on what YOU BELIEVE.

janetlynn

Exactly what Dale said, You can do this! Educate, read, and don't over think the quit! Your local health dept also has smoking cessation classes. All states I believe except NC and Va offer them along with the Patch, or chantix or some other smoking cessation aid. I used the patch and found it so helpful especially in the first few days where your  body craves nicotene. The hardest part of the quit is the routine and the sudden what do I do with all the time now? You actually gain back many hours...about 3 in your day from quitting smoking! Now is the time to focus on something else, get a hobby...or just live at the gym Lol. Thats what I do! I took up kickboxing and boot camp classes! I could of never done these classes as a smoker! You don't need luck....you just need focus and support...here is the place for both! 

Connie55

John,

I worked out at the gym and continued to smoke for TWO YEARS! until I finally drilled 3 things into my head.

#1- this is NOT a habit, it is an ADDICTION. So treat it as one.

#2- as with ANY addiction, there is no such thing as "Just one". You can no more be a casual smoker, than an alcoholic can be a casual drinker. You can never, ever touch "just one". So tell yourself No, and shift your focus to something else.

#3- the carvings are short lived. They do not last very long and will go away after a few minutes wether you smoke or not. So you might as well not.

I am smoke free 308 days after 33+ years of cigarettes. I hope these three points can help you when that damned nicotine demon is haunting your miind. You deserve freedom and peace of mind! Come get it!

JonesCarpeDiem

John,

I'm trying to figure out why you are waiting until tomorrow to quit again?

Is it some kind of reward to smoke another day?

Do you have something happening today you just can't  deal with without smoking?

This logic is exactly what you are talking about avoiding.

Yet, you decided to "reward" yourself with another day of smoking.

What happens when you decide something stressful is coming tomorrow?

zinamarie

Did you read John Carr's book on quitting smoking?  It talks about expecting all those things you listed to happen.  Like Dale says, there's no luck.  Also, there are no excuses and no reasons to smoke.  It's all headgames.  You're giving in to your own head games.

Read REad Read, Stay close to this site, read as many blogs as you can.  People are here to help you.  Protect Your Quit.

Junior7

John--I had the tattoo idea, too, but for myself decided against it.   

You CAN  quit!  I had many excuses for putting off quitting--and for smoking again after I had "quit."    It's quite common--and I don't think being mad at ourselves helps us quit.

Have you done the reading?  If not, please do.  It has helped so many people!  And I have found that staying busy really helps, too! 

Then, decide to commit to quitting no matter what happens and set a date.  It could be today, or you might want to take a few days to do more reading first. I wouldn't put it off for long, though.   I find quitting to be very difficult, too, but I trust Dale's advice--and if he says not to believe it's that hard, then I would take his word for it.  I guess in some ways it's as hard as we think it is. 

You CAN do this!

stonecipher

Everything you said is true.  So, you have it in your head, now get it in your heart.  Decide to quit, and MEAN IT.  Pay attention to what Dale says (Jonescarp aka Dale) cause he knows what he's talking about.

Keep in mind: there is no "try".  To paraphrase Yoda, you either do, or don't do.  This applies to smoking, just like anything else.  You don't have to WANT to quit.  But you do have to DECIDE to quit.  And quitting is very likely NOT as hard as you fear it will be.

The best thing to do right now is to educate yourself about the addiction.  The info in the 2 links below has helped many people quit smoking and stay quit. 

http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/Allen_Carr_s_Easy_Way_To_Stop_Smoking_Download_fre

http://quitsmokingonline.com

We don't think in terms of luck here.  Luck is what you need when you have no control over the outcome.  You have all the control.  Time to use it!

Mike.n.Atlanta

We're here for ya John to help in any way we can but no tat in the world will help you quit. You'll end up avoiding it. We know you can quit because we've quit & yes it's tough. You've got to make the commitment & own it. Protect it at any cost. Like I said, we know you can quit...YOU have to know you can quit.

Wanna change your life? Change your mind.

M n @

Smoke free for Eight years, one month, three weeks, five days, 9 hours, 57 minutes and 57 seconds. 89382 cigarettes not smoked, saving $15,641.93. Life saved: 44 weeks, 2 days, 8 hours, 30 minutes.

Jordan-11-1-12

Seems like you've been doing it your way for quite a while... and failing. Have you read Allen Carr's book?

John48

Thanks for all the comments.

No, I haven't read that book but I will.  Today is Day 1 all over again and it will last.  I won't let anything interfere.  I'll work thru all the triggers and obstacles.  

When I said tomorrow, that was late at night last night so tomorrow meant today.  I had to go to sleep to restart another day. 

I understand about luck.  I don't believe in it myself but I guess posted it as a figure of speech?  Either way, I never count on luck.  I'm not the mystical type.  No need to knock on wood. 

Day 1 has begun.

reneenc1

Good Luck John.  Come back here often and blog when you need to~ BEFORE you  light up. 

luvztheway

John:  Congrats on starting day one!  Hopefully the first half has gone well.  

Ditto all the words of Jojo, Johio & Mike n @lanta.  Dale provides tough love but his 2nd post is very true and I'm sure you already know that.

I too smoked after working out...for many years...and many years after that once I'd quit for 22 months and then started again & kept going for another 10 years...and I too hid it from people; not so much the people at the gym, I could have cared less what they thought but I never told or let my grandmother find out that I'd started again.  (Although, I'm sure she knew.)  

I love the tatoo idea but I must warn you, if you think the tatoo alone will keep you from smoking again, you'll soon find out your wrong.  You have to do what Janetlynn said and drill Connie's 3 things into your head.  It truely is the "damned nicotine demon".  You'll get urges...for years to come.  That's the reason many of us are not on our 1st time.  Once you submit to N.O.P.E. per #2 in Connie's note - we can't be casual smokers...EVER...Not One Puff Ever is something I'd not heard before doing my research (on this...my fourth real attempt) and it makes so much sense.  Nor had I heard anyone say that we can no more be a casual smoker than an alcoholic can be a casual drinker but its sooo true.  

Point is, read, read, read...I'd not done that on any of my attempts before either and it really does help.  It provides you with the tools you need to suceed and being a part of this community will provide you with the support that can help you stay quit.

One other suggestion I have, is do something different this time.  If you'd tried a script in the past but not the patch, maybe do both this time.  If you tried cold turkey in the past, use an aid of some sort this time.  

Finally I will say, you have to be ready and really be ready or you'll be doing yourself a disservice and once again find yourself disappointed and embarassed. 

dsc

John, 

Hope you are off cigs. I quit on Oct 11. Miss them everyday they were some disgusting best friend. If I could do it anyone can. Yeah, I've only done it less than 2 months but I'm working on staying this way everyday.  Best to you. 

Dawn