cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Miserable two weeks..at day 80

dawn37
0 13 24

Well, today makes 80 days! I am not really surprised I have gotten this far. I have quit much longer than this in the past so the fact that I have gotten to 80 days is really not much of an accomplishment to me.  The fact that I have made it 80 days going through all the heartache that has been going on in my family for the last 75 days blows my mind!

THAT is really incredible to me!

I was out of state for the last 2 weeks visiting my screwed up family in Arkansas. I am even more upset about things now than I was before I left!  My dad is in really bad shape; my heart is breaking for him. He has dementia and it has progressed immensely in the last year. He is a genius, he really is. He even has patents for some of his inventions. Now, he can’t even say my name anymore.  

I have cried so much in the last two weeks & I just can’t stop. I look at him and I wonder why I keep the quit. I have not smoked, not at all in 80 days but I don’t see much of a point anymore. My dad has always tried to be healthy. He was never overweight, never smoked, didn’t drink much at all, ate right and now look at him.  He can’t even have a conversation that makes any sense.  Why do I want to keep this up?  I really can’t tell you. But I have not smoked and I will not smoke.

There is that mental part of me that wants that cigarette…feeling that smoke go in & exhale out…what a relief that would be. Oh how I would love that right now, my friend by my side…never failing me. I miss you so very much!  It is the physical part of smoking that is stopping me for the last 2 weeks. I think of how it would actually hurt going in, the fast heart beat, the nasty taste. Those are the things that are keeping me from smoking today.

For now… I will keep the quit and keep on crying! I miss my Dad more than I miss the smoke!

13 Comments
geminigypsylady

OMG I do understand.  I lost my mom 5 years ago this month to Alzheimer's.  The last year of her life she did not know me.  I felt like I lost the person who was my mother a little at a time over several years.  It is indeed a most cruel disease.

All I can say is hang in there and remember smoking isn't going to help your dad and it certainly won't help you sweetie. My heart and prayers are with you...

onelasttime

Dear Dawn , I know this is a terrible thing to go through when it happens to good people it is hard to understand. My mother died of lung cancer but before she died it had spead to her brain. I sat there sometimes she knew me sometimes she did not, I sat there and watched her try to feed herself at her insistance putting food in her ears trying to eat the napkin it was such a heart breaking experience. Yes she probaly brought it on herself some would say because she was a smoker but that doesn't make it any easier for the loved one left to watch their parent suffer thier last days. I know I never had a great relation ship with my mom she was a little abusive sometimes but I forgave her for all that before she passed it took a load off my shoulders. I know it hurts when your father doesn't know who you are but you still know who he is and was cherish those memories and enjoy the time you have left with him.And oh by the way its your heart breaking it has not one thing to do with smoking it won't cure a broken heat. I am crying now just remembering the pain but I will pray for you and you will survive this test smokefree.   HUGS AND PRAYER TO YOU  Deb

anacondahead

There is that mental part of me that wants that cigarette…feeling that smoke go in & exhale out…what a relief that would be. Oh how I would love that right now, my friend by my side…never failing me. I miss you so very much!  

80 days is great but since you are romanticizing smoking, I suggest a refresher course out on WhyQuit.com. You are missing the feelings you associated with the cigarette, not the cigarette itself. That 'friend' always fails you. It's more like a FIEND.

I am sorry for your family sorrow. Keep up with your plan and best wishes to you. 

JonesCarpeDiem

Life does suck sometimes and sucking on cigarettes doesn't make it lass sucky.

but you know that....

sorry for your pain right now

kathys

I  am so sorry that you are going through some hard times right now. I know that your Dad means the world to you and it is hard to see him this way. Just stay as strong as you can for him. I do want to congratulate you on your 80 days. That is wonderful. I know you have the mind set right now of what does it matter anyways ,your thinking  ( look at what my Dad is going through), but always remember, if you smoke and get a smoking disease such as lung cancer, you will suffer terribly  .It is a hard way to die believe me. My Grandmother and Grandfather were smokers and they both died of lung cancer from smoking. I watched them suffer so bad and it was extremly painful to know there isnt a thing that you can do to help them. .  I was a smoker at the time and felt so guilty to go visit one of them and then go have a smoke , but I did .That was the wonderful world of addiction. Sick isnt it. Believe me there isnt anything good there to miss. I know that this doesnt help you with your feelings but I want you to stay quit because life isnt always fair to some people and everyone of us on here sure have suffered some major dissapointments and great losses. Smoking will not change anything but make you more stressed and more agitated and more guilty.. Dont fall into the poor me trap. It is so easy to do when someone you love is sick. Please think things out and be proud of yourself. Take care, Kathy

Yaya2.6.10

I am going thru family drama right now too and I sure do relate to your comments.  It often seems like there is no point to keeping the Quit.  I don't want to smoke really, but the main reason is to maintain my health and if the only reason I have to stay healthy is to be constantly on call for others, what's the point?  Easy for others to say not to fall into poor me trap, but some of us have good reasons for a Pity Party.  The whole point of doing a Quit is to "put yourself first" but then reality intrudes.  Keep the quit and I will too.

kasia

Hello Everybody,

it is my third day of being smokefree and it is not the first time I have given up. As you have all rightly said and contributed to the conclusion - no matter how upset you are (my dad passed away last year) and how much unfairness there is in our lives, cigarettes will never help, will not bring the dead back, will only distroy us...

It is hard for me as well, but I hate the cigarettes and I would love to fight them - this is the biggest enemy of humanity - we should unite and beat it together!

patrick-marsh

DAWN DONT KNOW HOW TO PUT THIS INTO WORDS  SO JUST KNOW THAT MY HEART IS BRAKING FOR YOU! ITS SO HARD TO SEE ONES WE LOVE LIKE THAT! IT HURTS SO DEEP!

JUST KNOW WE LOVE YOU AND SUPPORT YOU AND WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU!1 SO SORRY!

GOD BLESS YOU!!

miriam4

I am so sorry, that is hard!  

The cigarettes are not your friend,

we are.

Keep blogging till  your hearts content.

~Hugs and Prayers

JoAnne5-14-2008

Dawn I empathize with you on the Alzheimer's.  We watched our mom suffer through it.  It hurts to see a loved one go through this disease.  I'm so proud of you for standing on your quit.  Don't give in.  You have come too far to turn back now.  The guilt will eat you up.  Keep pressing forward and my God be with you to strengthen you and your family. 

Sootie

Dawn--Your Dad sounds like an incredible man. I  worked with people with Alzheimer's and dementia for many years. The end of life is not the sum total of that life. It is VERY difficult to watch this ahppen to a loved one and truly---you do almost lose them twice. But, your Dad as he was would not want you to smoke. He also would not want you to dissolve into anger or despair over him. If we know anything, we know that good parents NEVER want to see their children upset or sad. So--chin up...pray for your Dad as I will. Remember him as he was and find any way--even small ways---to connect with him now.  Make him proud as I am sure you always did. And, congratulations for getting through one of the roughest times I've heard about on here---AND NOT SMOKING!

Kinterralynn

My dear smoke free buddy, we have been in this quit together since day one and I must say that I believe you are a much stronger person than I am.  The family crisis you are facing is so overwhelming!  I'm sending out a mental hug to you!  Keep up the strength, girl !

travelingman.rick

Dawn...life sucks sometimes, that does not mean we have to have a life that allows cigarettes to suck the life out of us too. If we fail in our quit then we are saying that it is ok if tobacco wins. We deserve to hold ourselves to a higher standard. You have my phone number quit buddy. We have been at this for almost three months now. Keep the quit!