cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Mind the gap...

ilovelucy
0 2 1

I was all determined to quit and talked to my doctor and got a prescription for Chantix and then had a bad reaction to it. Didn't matter in the end after all. As it turned out, my body was already over the addiction after 72 hours so the rest was up to me anyway. In a panicky moment after talking with nurse practitioner on the phone (this was not going according to plan in my mind) I realized if I substituted gum or patches or lozenges I would just be re-starting and prolonging the nic dependence and believe me I wanted that monkey off my back.

In retrospect I wish I'd known that sometimes NOT DOING ANYTHING including not smoking is all that's needed. Some impulse in me was always rushing in the fill the gap. I'm a month into my quit. Saw another doc for another reason and even though I feel worse than ever (thought I would feel good pretty much immediately) I won't go back and we crossed smoking off my problem list. Well Amen to that. Feels great that my docs feel as definitiive about my decision as I do.

2 Comments
maggie_8-1-2010

you go girl!

europa76

Funny thing, I have replaced my cigarrettes with food!  I love food! I love eating it. And I am 6 ft. tall and last I weighed in @ 136 lbs. Yes always have been "skinny". Not lean...SKINNY. And for a guy, its not concidered a good thing. But since I have moved to the Pacific Northwest, I have noticed alot of the guys here are skinny or lean and thats just how it is. So...in essence, I am substituting. Food for cigarettes. I'm trying to eat healthy, but sometimes real live junk food is so good!

I'll be careful, I still have a heart that works. I know this cause I go on a morning bike ride everyday and really push the peddles. It feels great and I eat AFTER i excersise. Why burn it all up.

Amyway, I geuss my point is......don't worry about substituting or using a crutch or doing something in place of a cigarette....who cares, as long as it is NOT a cigarette then its good!  And keep talking about these experiences. I know I love to relate and love to learn about people. We are strange creatures. And so capable of creating so much goodness in the world.

Peace, Gary