cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Migraine!

star17
0 5 11

Okay, I'm having a hard time accepting this. The patch is giving me migraines. I never get headaches, and now I can't sleep and the whole back of my head is killing me. It hurt last night, I took 2 Advil and it didn't help, so I took a third. Took until 4:30am to fall asleep after I forced myself to turn out the lights at 2. And I woke up every two hours or so. The dreams were fun though. Today was alright at first but by 5pm I had another migraine, so I was starting to get suspicious about it. Took 2 migraine pills around 7:30, put a cold washcloth on my eyes and laid down in a dark quiet room, but eventually had to turn onto my side because the back of my head hurt so much. It got somewhat better but now, here I am at 2:40am wide awake with a new pounding headache all over again.

This is aggravating because I've really gotten a lot more on-board with the idea of the patch, which I didn't like the idea of at first. I feel like this community really has been helping me get my head in the game and do whatever it takes to get the job done, including the patch. I like not having the option to smoke, if only because I could really use that right now. Because even with the patch I just get that urge to smoke sometimes. But I had to take it off tonight so that I can eventually be able to get some sleep!

So I'm nervous about tomorrow. Not sure if I'll put it on in the morning or not. For now, I'm planning to and if that plan turns out to not be an option because of these headaches, then I have lozenges I can use. Or I can just bite the bullet like so many of you have done and just deal with this so I can get past the worst of it and get used to life without smoking. "Like dealing with the flu," someone wrote on my page, and it's true, to a certain degree I have and will continue to have to just deal with this until the worst is over. Keep me in your thoughts, Plan A: keep the patch on at all times, is not working out. So now, on to Plan B: just don't smoke for God's sakes. Wish me luck, there's might come a point where I may need it.

For now, I pledge to write a blog entry when I'm going through any major struggle. And I pledge to not smoke. I can do this.

5 Comments
mikecity

img alt="Blessings" src="" />

KatherineF

Star,  When you get up (at least I hopeyou are finally getting some sleep) think about quitting without the patch.  I think quitting any way you can is good and I don't mean there is anything bad about the patch.  I just know how badly migraines hurt.  Quitting cold turkey is doable too.  The hardest part for me was the mental addiction.  My attitude changed when I came here and when I read Allen Carr's free ebook.  If you have to, just go with the lozenges.  They are suppose to work too.  Just make up your mind that no matter what you are not going to smoke.

not one puff ever N.O.P.E.

You can do this.  Please do some reading if you can make the time.  It helped me so much.  Try BobbyMaynard's page for links and interesting reading.

Come here when you crave and we will help.

JonesCarpeDiem

The patch can't quit for you. Of course you are going to have the desire to smoke even with the patch.

The patch is only an aid while you get your thinking cap on and your thinking around

what makes you smoke so you can unlearn that somewhat tbefore you stop the patch.

megsaquitter

"The patch can't quit for you."

Ain't that the truth. I had a lot of trouble sleeping when I tried the patch. And when I tried Zyban. And other NRT products. And cold turkey. 🐵

Trouble sleeping might go with the territory no matter what method you're using. If you read my blog from last week (I'm on Day 12), you'll see that I started questioning my sanity. It passed really quickly - I'm sleeping FINE now.

You are going to want to smoke. Sometimes you're going to want to smoke REALLY REALLY REALLY badly. What's your plan for staying strong, even in those moments?

lilmom88

maybe its not the patch that is causing the headaches, sometimes just the whole process of quitting smoking can cause some major headaches, or maybe the strength of the patch should be adjusted? Just something to consider before giving it all up!