cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Me & My Soapbox...... Outside the EX Community...... is Good? Or NO?

kris54
0 12 21

So.....I'm on Day 163 ....SMOKEFREE and I feel great about it.  It has not happened without its hurdles though..... but nothing worthwhile is EVER easy.  We all know this.

My question now is this........ When you meet a smoker and are having casual conversation...... Do you ever climb up there on your smokefree podium and start a conversation about  QUITTING??  I'm kidding about the climbing on he soapbox thing,..... I would never talk down to anyone....... and I certainly wouldn't to a smoker, because i believe deep downinside no one wants to smoke.  It is a very tough journey.....and it is a lifetime journey.  I have no right to ever pass judgement...and I wont.  I smoked for many years also.

But...... I WANT TO HELP.  I want to spread the word about how DOABLE quitting is...... How going to this site really helped me quit.  I was out the other day and my friend brought one of her co-workers to have dinner with us.  her Husband had died from lung cancer the year before.  She is a smoker.  I started telling her about the EX site and what it has done for me, finally ending with the question..."DO YOU WANT TO QUIT?"  She said no.  I really was blown away by the answer. It was VERY clear to me... she had no interest in discussing this with me at all.  PERIOD.

So... is it better to just let every smoker make the decision themselves? (and of course they have to anyways)  OR..... when the situation is presented and you find yourself in the company of a smoker.... do you go in "for the kill?"   I'm starting to think my enthusiasium for quitting is circumferenced in this community...... and NOT in the outside world.

12 Comments