cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

May You Never Be The Reason

SimplySheri
11 18 432

~~May you never be the reason why someone who loved to sing, doesn't anymore.  Or why someone who dressed so uniquely now wears plain clothing.  Or why someone who always spoke so excitedly about their dreams is now silent about them.  May you never be the reason someone gave up on a part of themselves because you were demotivating, non-appreciative, hypercritical, or even worse-sarcastic about it.~~  Mostafa Ibrahim

I must have started this post about a million times (in reality?  Two times).  It's not my normal way of getting my thoughts across and it's not a topic that I would normally venture into.  But I don't mind stepping outside my comfort zone to address something that is so important to others.

We are all responsible for our own actions.  No one can 'make us' feel anything we don't want to feel.  I know that.  I even agree with that.  But sometimes I think it needs to be taken a step further.  Because what we say and do does affect the way others see themselves.  Even more, the words we speak and the way we behave can truly crush someone's heart.  It can change their beliefs about themselves.  It can shame them.  It can kill a spirit.

So why bring it up on a  quit smoking site?  This post is for the quitter who doesn't share their thoughts anymore because someone laughed at their comment.  This post if for the quitter who tried to explain their inner demons only to have someone suggest it's all in their head.  This post is for the one who shared their silly but positive ways of going smoke free during their workday only to have someone sarcastically call them 'pollyanna'.

We are in this together, you know.  And people are different, of course.  But anyone who is brave enough to post anything--whether it be help or a suggestion on how they quit or a question about something being normal or not--deserves our respect and support.  It takes so much courage to share parts of ourselves.  It takes a willingness to step outside of our comfort zone and an ability to get our thoughts down and a vulnerability that is both fragile and honest.

No, this is not a 'dig' at anyone.  I don't do that.  This isn't about YOU.  I don't know who you are.  This is a simple reminder that our words have the power to silence someone.  To hurt them.  To shame them.  And we'll never know because they will simply cease their words here.  They will fade back into their 3-D lives bruised and hesitant to share again.

I like that people pass ideas around here.  I like that they trust us enough to open up.  Even more, I love that they bring their personalities....little quirks, delightful spirits, wild hearts....and brighten Ex with who they are and how they are.  I don't want them dimmed.  I don't want them tamed.  I don't want them subdued.

You may not like everyone here, but silently not like them.  You may disagree but if what they are saying isn't going to hurt anyone, disagree silently.  Your opinion is no more valid than theirs is. 

No, this isn't about anyone disagreeing with me.  I am frightfully healthy about varying opinions.  But not everyone is and I used to not be.  It takes personal growth to understand shame, humiliation, embarrassment, and hostility.  And everyone grows at their own rate.  So being kind enough to offer support, help, and knowledge will also help someone's personal growth. After all, everyone deserves to quit smoking.

Respectfully,

Sheri

It's hard enough to quit smoking without being afraid to share your story.  It's even hard enough to offer support without feeling like your support is going to be degraded.  Kindness matters.

18 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Spot on, as always.  Good to see you!

Nancy

Ladybug--7-3-12

Great post!  I couldn't agree more with your insightful thoughts & wisdom you shared. 

Sheri, It's always lovely to catch you here when I bop into the site myself.  Hope you & yours are safe, healthy, and enjoying an awesome summer!   

Strudel

Great to see you Sheri. Very good reminder of being kind….thank you! 

biscuit9

Beautifully worded.  Thank you so much.

Maki

Sherri , thankyou for this . I hope it is read , applied and heard everyday and that it makes a difference for us all .   We are in this together .

SimplySheri

@YoungAtHeart Always lovely to see you, Nancy!!  Hope you are doing well 🙂  

Sheri

SimplySheri

@Ladybug--7-3-12 You simply have  a wonderful way with words!!  I read your post and it was brilliant!  Thanks so much for that 🙂

Sheri

SimplySheri

@Strudel Hi Kathy!!  Hope you are well.  I also hope you are happy, healthy, and loving life!!  Miss you.

Sheri

SimplySheri

@biscuit9 So great to 'see' you!!  Hope all is well in your world!  I've always loved how you are able to reach out to others.  It's a gift not everyone has 🙂

Sheri

SimplySheri

@Maki Delighted to see you!!  And, as always, you are so right!  We are all in this together 🙂  Thanks!

Sheri

Snowdoggie

@SimplySheri such a well worded and thoughtful post. Thank you.

SimplySheri

@Snowdoggie thank you for the kind words!  I appreciate you 🙂

lydiadavis1950

NO JUDGEMENT HERE, ever. You did the right thing posting. So glad you still hopeful and trusting enough to pour your heart out here on this platform! Not every one is blessed with this in their character.  You are loved, but love yourself first and listen to Pandora or whatever app u have…romantic music ( this is what I do) and dance and sway and dance some more….all by myself. I’m 73 years young. 

jewlz23

You wrote that so well. I agree with all of it. We are all different beings on a different journey that shares one thing: we want to quit and stay quit from smoking. We all take different routes and none of us are perfect in that journey. We each have to muddle our way through and take advice that pertains and leave the rest that does not, and just keep going. 

Going through a quit does jostle some nerves. Mine were jostled and still are at times. I hope I don't come across as insensitive ever to anyone, but I will be more mindful about that. Thank you for sharing. Again, this was written so well. No one should ever be shamed over any of this or how they do something their way or no way. We all just dust ourselves off and go again....I hope.

This is for anyone who is silent. Just be yourselves. Come on out, and don't let anyone bring you down. This is your journey and this is a site you can share on and to be yourself. We are all in this together. There is no "one way" to do this thing.

Again, thank you for sharing your post. It is very thoughtful.

lydiadavis1950

U r so-o-o welcomed 🥰. One of my favorite music is by Andrea Bocelli…whether in Italian…Spanish or English I love it all even though some of the languages he sings is foreign to me.  Love the rhythm. Mellow.  Also “ That’s the way it is..” by Celine. God bless and celebrate today! 

MarilynH

Thank you @SimplySheri for another great thought provoking and powerful post, it's really good to see you my friend and fellow EXer and most definitely EXtended family! 

SuzyQ411

@Maki ~ Thanks for this repost~ just as great the 2nd time around~

MarilynH

Love seeing @SimplySheri 's posts which are always full of kindness and love.....