cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Make It The Life You Want to Live

SimplySheri
3 5 150

~~It's your place in the world, your life.  Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live.~~ Mae Jemison

I gave the ladies I am working with a plant.  A scrawny, little, dry-out plant.  And I told them that in order for this plant to grow, they needed to understand what it needed.  Just throwing water on it wouldn't make it grow.  Just setting it out in the sun wouldn't make it grow.  They needed to know how much water to give it and how much sun it needed and when to re-pot it.  

Then I told them that their recovery was also a living, breathing thing.  And that they needed to understand what it needed in order for it to grow.  It wasn't about being able to list 99 coping skills.  It wasn't about being a part of four groups or attending 3 meetings.  They needed to know what coping skills actually worked for them.  They needed to know how much self-care they needed daily.  They needed to know that while meditation made them fall asleep, guided imagery helped them relax.  In short, they needed to understand themselves.  What they were going to do when life got tough.  Who in their lives could they count on for support rather than put downs.  

You can also do this.  Build your quit.  Nurture it.  Grow it.  And in doing so, you'll also be gaining such insight into who you are!  And who you is truly beautiful.

SimplySheri_0-1650997316167.jpeg

Namaste,

Sheri

5 Comments