cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Mad! I was so MAD!

SkyGirl
2 10 29

Today, I went out to sit on my patio.  I don't often do that.  Why?  Because when I was a smoker, the patio was my private smoking haven under an extended roof that protected me from rain and snow.

I had it all arranged just the way I wanted it so that I could sit out there for HOURS and smoke one cigarette right after another...and another...and another...

I had a comfortable big wooden rocking chair with comfy seat and back pads.  I had a round side table, always covered with a tablecloth that could be washed when stray ashes dirtied it. I had my favorite 1960's aqua glass ashtray.  Sometimes I switched that out for one of my other cool mid-century, kidney-shaped, dripped-glaze ashtrays.  I had a lamp on my table so I could read when it was dark.  I had a chrome wastebasket with a foot pedal-controlled lid, close enough that I could dump my ashtray full of smelly butts without having to leave my rocking chair.  I had a magazine stand, stocked with reading material, within arm's length.  I had an oscillating fan a few feet away to blow the smoke away from my neighbor's balcony (I thought that I was SOOOO considerate to provide that for them!).  And finally, I had a small electric heater under the side table, pointed at my feet to keep me warm in the winter.  What a set-up!  I only had to go inside the condo to eat and sleep.  I spent HOURS out on my patio.

When I quit, I dismantled the entire set-up out there.  It had too many associations with smoking.  I had learned that one of the most important things you have to do is to break those associations, not only with things like coffee, driving, talking on the phone...but also with physical surroundings and daily activities.  

It's a very effective tool to do things like: sitting in a different chair to watch TV, getting up from the dinner table to take a short walk outside immediately after eating, to take a shower in the evening instead of your usual morning routine, to play different music in the car, to brush your teeth at random times during the day.  You may not realize how many unconscious associations with smoking that you have in your daily habits.

But, back to why I was SO mad!  When I went out on my patio today, it was only to sweep the autumn leaves off.  But I immediately spied a cigarette butt.  It probably came from the guy two floors up who smokes.  Or maybe from one of the guys who drives the lawnmower past my patio.  Or...heck, I don't care WHERE it came from!  I only know it was there, sitting in all its nastiness on MY patio.  Mad.  I was SO mad.  

And then it struck me.  How many times had I tossed cigarette butts on other people's sidewalks, out my car window,  in parking lots, outside buildings before I entered them and in all kinds of random places that would be considered littering at best and causing a fire hazard at worst?  Lots of times.  Thousands of times.  And never thought one single moment about how wrong it was.  

I plead guilty.  And to all those people, known and unknown to me, I humbly apologize for infringing upon your spaces with my nasty, thoughtless addiction.  

I am so thankful to be free now.

xxxooo,   Sky

10 Comments
elvan

Me TOO!  I apologize to everyone I offended with my smoke and my butts.  I hate to see cigarette butts on sidewalks or at roadsides...I REALLY hate it when people dump their ashtrays in parking lots...I never did THAT.

Good to hear from you, mad as you were, you never thought about stuffing it down with a cigarette, did you?

Hope all is well with you and that Jeff is recovering.  Just think of the peaceful view from your house out west although your little haven there on your patio sounded really inviting to sit and read.

XOXO

arky

very thoughtfull of you Sky i am on day 9 still hanging on. take care

Brenda_M

My goodness!! I KNOW what you mean!!!! I drive a coworker to and from work, and he's a smoker. When we walk from the parking garage to the office, a 10-15 minute walk, he always puts out his cigarette and throws it away. I always marvel at his kindness in doing that, but it's just COMMON DECENCY, and I FAILED at it while I was smoking. It makes me cringe.

JACKIE1-25-15

Oh well I guess I wasa little different because I was GOOD.  I never put butts out on the ground. .  I was so GOOD,  I would put the butt somewhere until I could dispose of it. Even if it meant I had to deal with the stench until I got rid of it. Of course I was a mostly a closet smoker.  I am patting myself on the back right now.  I just refused to be a litter bug.  lol.

Strudel

Great one Sky! So many good points - and I feel your pain. The people in the apartment above me in Charlotte used to get ashes on my patio below. It made me nuts! But, I never carried it forward to think of all of the times I offended - so, I am with you in apologizing to the universe! Thanks! 

JonesCarpeDiem

butt butt butt

bonniebee

I love this blog and I love the way you discribed your smoking set-up on your patio !  I never had to go that far because i always had  smoked in my house. But the routines are similar i had my favorite chair and ashtrays etc and i agree for any newbies change up your routines we f do have so many smoking connections !

meWisconsin

Great blog. I think we all at one time or another threw our butts on the ground instead of in the trash. I am ashamed to say I did. Glad that part of my life is over.

Terry

maryfreecig

Thanks for telling more of your smoking story. The place that once was, changing routine. There are a lot of butts in this world doing no good for anyone, I put a plenty there myself.

My last butts sit in a jar amongst their ashes up top a shelf, lest I forget the work it takes to quit. 

Thank you!

stonecipher

I was an Explorer Scout.  We learned how to field dress a cigarette.  Otherwise, I always kept them until I could throw them away.  Such a follower of rules.  Too bad I didn't follow the "don't ever smoke cigarettes, idiot" rule that my parents tried to instill. l l

About the Author
I'm a 64 year-old flight attendant for a major US airline. Prior to that, I owned an ice cream store and six hot dog carts and put my five kids thru college on hot dog earnings! Prior to THAT, I was Director of International Administration for Domino's Pizza, Inc. I was married to my H.S. sweetheart (dad of my 5 kids) for 17 years. I've been with Jeff for 23 years, but we just finally got married in 2016! Jeff & I live in Cape Meares, OR right on the beach. I'm from Ann Arbor, MI, where many of my kids/relatives still live. My flying base is Washington, DC, where I have a condo that I stay in when I'm between flying trips. My dream is to retire and stay home with Jeff and my two cats, Kenneth & Barbara...not happening soon, though. So I go home whenever I can get a week or more off. I LOVE to meet up with other EXers in the cities where I lay over. I usually blog about what cities I'm laying over in, so let me know if I'm staying near you! I'll buy dinner!! Xxxooo, Sky