cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

MY FIRST DAY !!!

taboraz
0 13 78

Wow, I didn't want to get out of bed this morning because I knew I didn't have that cigarette to look forward to, that first cigarette with my coffee was probably my favorite cigarette, now I don't know what to do with myself, I have been walking around the house like a zombie this has just thrown off my whole schedule.  I don't know what to do.

13 Comments
Yaya2.6.10

You can do this!  I completely changed my schedule and what I did, particularly first thing in the morning.  I called it finding a new normal cuz the old normal included smoking. 

comfortablynumb

Yeah that first cigarette with coffee was my fav too. But what I can tell you is that it gets easier.. just know that as soon as you put a cigarette out, you go into withdraw! So basically and literally you will smoke till you wither away into nothing!!! instead of walking around obsessing I went to this website which is why I can say.. I have not smoked for 3M 2W 5h 42m (106 days). I have not spent $831.83 just to buy  2,868 coffin nails!  And for  1W 2D 23h I have done better things, rather than inhale poison!  My Quit Date: 7/10/2010 10:00 AM  Freedom smells great!!!

http://www.quitsmokingonline.com/

Peace, Lisa

laurie37

I felt EXACTLY the same way! But I promise that part goes away. One of the things I did that helped alot was to set my coffeemaker to auto. That way my coffee was ready when I got up in the morning. I used to go outside and smoke while waiting for it to brew. The first few days were the hardest to break that morning habit, so I went to my garage, opened it and chewed a piece of gum while watching the sunrise. I'm at around 80 days and it just keeps getting easier and better! Welcome! You've come to the right place. The people here are AWESOME!!

You can do this!!!! Say "I'd rather breathe than smoke."

((((HUGS)))),

Laurie

JonesCarpeDiem

the idea is not to dwell on what you are missing but to find something better to do with the time than kill yourself slowly

maggie_8-1-2010

Hi!  Do anything - just don't smoke!  Are you and your partner planning a special day for his birthday?  If not, why not just make some plans and set them in motion! Everyone likes surprises and this should help keep your mind occupied! Come on what-a-do-ya-say!!!!! Enjoy this day!

Maggie

IrishRose

That's what addictions do to you.  They make you feel like you can't live without them.  The addiction is so interwoven into your life, you are lost without it.  You have to find something to absorb the time you would have normally spent on smoking.  Get your cup of coffee in the morning, log onto become an ex, and talk to us or read and educate yourself on this killer we all were involved with at one time or another in our life.  Someone is always here.  And, they are dealing with the same problem you are.  Everyone is at different levels with their addiction on this site, but just blog.  Someone will reach out to you.  Until you find out the real you without cigarettes in your life, you are going to be walking around lost.  It's the nature of the beast.  Pay attention to the good things going on in your life since you quit.  You smell prettier.  That is a major thing - smelling better, as cigarette smoking stinks big time.  I am quit 130 days, I think, and I do not regret quitting, and I thank everyone on this site for being there for me when I needed them or even when I did not need them.  We are a big family here.  Not always happy, but we care about each other, even if we disagree at times.  Take care.  Hang in there.  And, protect your quit.  You won't regret it, I promise. 

hwc

Here's a suggestion on something you can do. Spend the rest of the day listening to these:

http://whyquit.com/joel/mp3/listen.html

You can even download them and put them on your iPod.

cb_3

I use to get to work, set up my computer, check voice mail/email, pour a cup of coffee and then go outside to smoke before punching in for the day.  Now, I don't get to work early, I just start.  I take walks on my lunch/breaks and walk/gym/yoga the minute I get home instead of pouring a glass of wine and sitting on the patio to smoke.  Everything has been an adjustment but I am now finishing up my 4th week of not smoking.  Unfortunately, you have to live your quit....we are all here to support you, you can do this!!!

lauren02019

I just want to second the links www.whyquit.com and www.quitsmokingonline.com  I look at them daily and especially during my most difficult moments.  the quitsmokingonline.com website is particularly helpful.  I'm on day six and am craving much less now that the nicotine is out of my body!

Take care and be gentle with yourself!

lisa212

Hang in there. Morning cig was my fav too. I just take my cup into my bedroom or somewhere else where i never smoked so I can build different assciations. Another trick: fill a jar with old cig butts and give that a whiff when you think you miss it. GROSS. Good luck. It gets easier.

perfectblend

I understand completely, my first day I felt like a caged animal, pacing back & forth, couldn't form a thought to save my life. It will get easier...to wake up one day and your first thought is not a of ciggarette....is a feeling you want to experience. Freedom!! Battles win the war...one battle at a time...your not fighting in this alone.

ilovelucy

Yay, so you're a smoke-free zombie! Do ya really think you'll stay this way? You've lots of extra things to look forward to in future mornings!!! Remember -- NOPE -- not one puff ever.

jaime11

I also loved the morning cigarette with coffee.  I had the same thoughts at first, how am I ever going to want to get out of bed.  I can promise you that it does get better, even if you think it wont.  You need to get over the habit and physical craving.  I am on day 41 and I rarely ever think about cigarettes when i wake up anymore.  You loved that morning cigarette so much becuase your body just went a really long time without nicotine and you are reupping it in the morning.  There is really nothing more special about it then that and once you have quit for a while you will begin to realize that. 41 days out and the thought of having a cigarette first thing in the morning really kind of makes me feel sick.  Try waking up and saying that you are thankful to be alive and that quitting will allow you to stay that way!  If you focus on feeling like you are missing out on something you will always feel deprived.  Focus on what you are gaining!!