cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Long post which I hope you read! 🤗

MarilynH
6 13 216

I used to think that I could never ever quit smoking because I failed at it at least a half dozen times a couple of those times were due to one too many drinks of alcohol thinking just one or maybe two smokes would be ok BUT of course it wasn't!!! The last failed attempt took me roughly 20 Years AND finding out that I have copd before finally wising up I look back now well over 7 years quit AND realize that I wasn't prepared to quit or one of those attempts at trying would've stuck emphasis on trying! I quit drinking alcohol a little over 11 years ago which is super fantastic because I was slowly killing myself after drinking 20 years 7 days a week possibly taking a week or so off in total each year from drinking my husband finally stopped drinking about a year ago PLUS he quit smoking two and a half months before I did we were both functioning alcoholics or so we thought, Mark never seemed to have any health issues other than copd from 42 years of smoking BUT My health suffered, I never ate right I got stomach ulcers I had a heart attack that I didn't find out about for several months long story shorter I found out through an echo cardiogram that it was a heart attack which I kept pushing for because of how weak I felt finally a Dr listened! At that point I'd been done drinking for a couple of months. The cardiologist I saw said it might have been alcohol related AND the one way to find out was to have another echo cardiogram in a years time to see if the left ventricular and muscle healed and it did! So both addictions suck big time BUT both addictions can be kicked to the curb permanently it's not easy BUT it's sure as HELL is worth it! The CHOICE is Ours! 

Screenshot_20211202-084254.jpg

f78113daa605a5f536a8ab4b9603fcca.jpg

13 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Wow!  I didn't know you had a heart attack.  SO glad you conquered both addictions so you can spend the beginning of each day here with us!

Nancy

SimplySheri

I love, love, love how open you are and how willing to share your story, Marilyn!!!  It makes a difference, I know it does.  I am so very glad you are healthy and well as is Mark 🙂  You two have such a joy for living that's it also a joy to read your stories.  Thank you!!!  Much love to you and yours!  

Maki

Kinda hard in some ways to read this post , but it's a wonderful message . Testimony is powerful . Thanks for sharing . 

tracy0924

Marilyn it is so awesome that you have overcome both addictions and are here to educate others on what they are doing to their Health with both smoking and drinking. I’m so glad that I finally quit smoking 151 days ago, and I am struggling this week to try and quit drinking because I have surgery a week from tomorrow and I know I cannot possibly mix alcohol and narcotics. I too have been drinking too much for way too many years, actually starting when I was about 13. I’ve quit drinking before for four or five years so I know that I can do it again, but it is so hard for some reason this time. I only started again about a year ago because others around me were drinking. I think it’s all the stress that I’m under right now with my father and all that is making it difficult to quit, and maybe it is taking the place of smoking  in some aspects?🤔 But regardless, I know I have to stop within the next few days. And with mentors like you and a another friend on the site it makes a world of difference. Thank you so much for being here🤗🤗💕💕

Tracy

Barbscloud

@MarilynH I always remember your journey, but I'm happy you take the time to share it with newcomers.  Congrats on all your successes.

Barb

Cousin-Itt

Glad you're OK Marilyn.   Lossing control of your life to any addiction sucks all an addiction does sucks life from you.  

@tracy0924  Tracy We are experiencing Groundhog Week instead of Day.   

Warm spring weather yesterday and today.  Tomorrow 1 to 2 inches of rain followed by dropping temperatures with sleet, ice and snow.   A repeat of last week.   

Snowdoggie
  • @MarilynH Glad you finally got a doctor who would listen to you. Scary everything that you have been through, so glad you have up both addictions and that your heart healed. That is just amazing. Thanks for sharing your inspirational story. So glad that you are around to tell it.❤️😁🌋

@tracy0924 hope Marilyn's story will help you on the road to sobriety. Take care. You don't have many more days to make the change before your surgery!❤️

Christine13

@MarilynH   Thank you so much!!  It is in part your inspiration and sobriety and s m o b r I e t y, that got me started on the right path finally after 12 years of "trying" to get it.

I marvel at your strength to quit the drink on Valentine's Day and your strength at beating two addictions, and Mark too is an inspiration.

Thank you for NEVER giving up on me, and leading by example!

Love you my friend.

I'm so glad you are in my life.

Chris

Hugs!

sweetplt

@MarilynH I know you story, but never get bored hearing it…I have so cut down on my drinking…and giving it up for Lent…I feel better from quitting smoking and now with not drinking…you are so right, both things can make you sick especially as you get older. I didn’t know that Mark quit drinking and so proud of you both….Your story is a true inspiration…wishing you always the best my friend…

~ Colleen 1176 DOF 

JACKIE1-25-15

Proud of you. Glad you are here to share.  live love Laugh

MarilynH

Thank you @YoungAtHeart @SimplySheri @Maki @tracy0924 @Cousin-Itt @Snowdoggie @Christine13 @sweetplt @Barbscloud @JACKIE1-25-15 ,I appreciate each and everyone of you thank you for your kind words 🤗 kicking Addictions Butt into Oblivion really is the GIFT OF LIFE .....

tracy0924

Big Hugs @MarilynH 🤗🤗💕

@Cousin-Itt  Carl you definitely have some crazy weather in Ohio! Lol😂🙃

meWisconsin

It is amazing what we can do if we put our minds to it. Glad everything has worked for you Marilyn and Mark also.

I'm a couple months behind you in my quit and you have been my inspiration since I started here.

Terry😎

About the Author
I'm a proud Gram of 2 grandsons and a granddaughter and I consider myself a jack of all trades and a master of none, plus I enjoy reading and being outside and since quitting smoking breathing is so much easier because I'm not coughing half of my time sucking on a cancer stick....