cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Life's Stressors - Day 97

HealthyOrange
0 11 25

So here I am 3 days away from the triple digit club and instead of being filled with joy about my accomplishment, I'm still adjusting to the new me with out smoking.  Specifically speaking, my reactions to life's stresses and my overall well being.  I feel more anxious and depressed than the old me.  I'm trying to decide if I need depression medication or if this is just the new me dealing with life without those immediate dopamine fixes.  I believe I see more clearly now and that I glossed over alot of problems before that now are staring me straight in the face.  I too seem to worry more and have more fears, which isn't so good.  I still have trouble sleeping through the night so some of it could be from fatigue.  I've taken sleeping pills a couple nights and I still wake up early morning feeling restless and anxious.  I was hoping it was just my body getting used to life without nicotine, but 90 days have passed and I'm still here.

I appreciate all of your support along this journey.  I would not be here (still smober) if it were not for my friends and support this site has offered me.  If anyone has gone through something similar or has any advise, I am open.  Thank you all for reading and I wish you all a wonderful day!

11 Comments
YoungAtHeart

You are still traveling through No Mans Land and still have a bit to go.    I think you are correct that you are now having to deal with issues that you hid from when you smoked. Are you able to exercise?  If so, I highly recommend it to deal with stress.  It also helps sleep.  A  brisk walk or treadmill session should help.

You might talk to your doctor about your symptoms.  You may have been self-medicating yourself with nicotine when you smoked, and perhaps they can advise you of a medication to try and alleviate some of your problems.

I hope you understand that smoking a cigarette would only INCREASE your anxiety as the receptors are re-engaged and start to demand their fix over and over and over!

Hang in there!

Nancy

TerrieQuit

Hello, Jamie we are still in NML. It won't be long before we are both out! Things are better for me now than they were just before 100 days. You are doing this, just hang tough a little longer! I still have depression and anxiety and am on meds for both! I have had both for years and been on the meds. so I can't imagine it with out my meds. Talk to your DR. I still have trouble sleeping when I am supposed to at night, then want to nap in the daytime! WE are so close! I am going to try to start backing off some of the meds. after the 130 day challenge is over! If you didn't take the challenge, talk to Dale! He's the one that threw it out there! It might help! Fell better!! xoxo  I hope I helped you!

Terrie  120  DOF

JonesCarpeDiem

Have you had any days where you realized you haven't thought of smoking?

If you have, have hope.

If you haven't, give it a couple more weeks.

Check witth your dr about an antidepressant.

I had some anxiety and depression after I quit. I knew what was causing it but it didn't help to know. I was put on citalopram which I consider to be one of the easiest medications of its type to get off when you are comfortable doing so.

cpsono

Hi Jamie, if you are feeling more depressed/more depressed, you should probably talk to a Dr.  Depression is nothing to fool around with, so please don't let it spiral out of control. It really could be a symptom of quitting nicotine but to be safe, you should find out for sure.  It wouldn't hurt anything.  We all have ups and downs on this journey and NML is not over yet.  I felt similar when I was about to enter the TDC.  One thing you didn't say in your blog is that you wanted to smoke, so you already know that won't help you.  Hang in.  You are doing great!

bonniebee

Hi Janie I can't remember (CRS syndrome ! ) if you are on NRT's or doing cold turkey . If cold turkey I remember feeling very depressed for awhile when I quit a long time ago (  I made it 3 months ) excercise really helped it a lot . Please note that quit did not succumb to depression it failed because I was out dancing having fun and thought I could just smoke a few !

This time I used the patch and did not have the same kind of withdrawal .Please don't run to get on meds to soon I think to many ppl rely on meds for depression and the meds can be very bad for you. they may even affect the brain in a very negative way .May even cause Altzheimers Disease or other Dementia's . Please baby your quit and also try the excercise first  I walk and it helps my moods .

After NML I think you will begin to feel better Time is a healer..... give it time !

Congrats on your quit you are doing so much better then you realize it is a big change !

jonilou

My answer will not be politically correct. Maybe. Do you have a therapist? Some people make it seem so simple but some of us are deeply troubled, more than we realize and self medicating with nicotine. Perhaps seek help. I want you to be happy and I want you to be FREE!

MarilynH

Like Joni, I want you to be happy and FREE. I believe you are going to kick butt and rock your way through NML, I also had ups and downs of mood swings ,I would give my heada shake several times a day and keep on with whatever I was doing. TDC is in a few days and that's a wonderful milestone my friend, keep on counting your precious smoke free days which I know you will. 

Marilyn 

Barbara145

Hi Sweet Jamie.  I am sorry you are having a bad day.  Quitting smoking is an emotional roller coaster for a lot of women.  It was for me.  I think it is because of our hormones or lack there of.  There was a study at UVA.  It was proven that it is more difficult for women than men.  I have been up down and all over the place emotionally since I quit. I am on no meds.  If I get depressed it is only for a day.  All that said, I love being an ex-smoker.  I enjoy life more most of the time.  Keeping you in my prayers.  (((Hugs)))   Love,   Barbara 

Thomas3.20.2010

The basic answer is, Since smoking is not the correct answer, what can you do instead? Therapy, medications, nutrition, exercise, even herbal supplements,....there are lots of options! I don't know you well enough to say what is right for you - but YOU DO! Don't give up or give in! NML could be a large part of it! Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day! Little by little! Deal with some easy problem first and reward yourself for having resolved it! Then another and another... it's the positive direction that matters!

elvan

You are learning to deal with life without numbing your feelings with nicotine...it's a journey and sometimes it is harder than others but you are doing BEAUTIFULLY and all of the bad things will pass, NML is challenging but you will be so much stronger when you exit and then you will know you can do this!

Congratualtions.

Zendlewise

Sometimes i am still feeling like this and I am uncertain too.  One thing I am certain of is to keeep on not smoking---even if it takes a year to figure it out.  You have so much time behind you, and so do I.  See if there is an improvement soon---I think we are almost there where it will be so much better.  Peace and love to u