Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Life or Breath

Mike.n.Atlanta
5 16 88

Was asked to update & repost this.

I can’t say that I’ve suffered more personal losses than anyone else here. It just seems like it to me. I know only of those lost that are dear to my heart. It’s never an easy thing to lose the ones we love. No matter how long we have to prepare for the day they slip into the darkness we’re still not ready when it happens. Your loved ones won’t be ready either.

For those who think me overly dramatic when I say this is a matter of life or death, just ask my mother & father, sister June, brother Levin, Aunt Nancy  & my grandmother, sister in law Sue, Uncle Pete & Uncle Harold, or my friends Ronnie & Willard, JL, Mac & Butch.  Dale’s Aunt Dorothy, Uncle Ed & cousin Curt. Ex Nancy’s grandmother, neighbor Karen, uncle & sister in law or her neighbors husband.  Connie’s stepfather JP & Uncle Chuck. Kris’s Mom. Jessie’s Dad only 2 days before her high school graduation. Ryan’s mom when he was only 17, Teresa’s friend Paul, her sister in law & uncle, Laura’s (Michwoman) Mother, Patty-Cake’s Grandfather, uncle & brother in law, Joyeuxencore’s dad & grandfather, Misty@Dawn’s dad, grandfather & ex-husband or Tigerladie’s dad, Harvey D’s wife, Giulia’s friend Kiel, Sharon’s Mom & Dad, Jennifer’s Mother, Moody’s stepdad & Ann B’s Mom. Wait a minute…you can’t ask any of these people…they’ve all died from lung cancer & other smoking related illnesses.

These are all loved ones & friends that we will see no more. Don’t let this be you to your children & loved ones. Make a commitment…I’m just sayin.

Keep on keepin on,

P.S.- Here’s a little something to chew on. Of the members I listed above, how many are still active here? We’re all gung ho to encourage & praise our active members. How bout we reach out to those friends of ours we haven’t seen around in a while. Maybe they’re good in their quit & still living smoke free…but then maybe we didn’t reach out enough when they were here & they felt no one cared.

16 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Sobering..............

A necessary repost!

Nancy

TerrieQuit

Good post/repost! I'm newbie so I never saw it before.  Thank you!  Make's you think! Don't it!

Terrie  51  DOF

JoAnne5-14-2008

Thanks Mike!

cpsono

I hate the fact that I ever started and the thoughts of what I did to my body for so many years...But there's no sense beating myself up.  I just want to move forward with my quit.    Thank you so much for this post.  It is much needed to those of us still in NML.  CP 91 DOF

Terri103

Thanks, Mike, I had not read this before either.  very eye opening and heart breaking.  I do regularly reach out to people that I friended, and what is sad to me is that some do not reply back at all.  even some that had shared email addresses.   There is one in particular from my friends, no response of any kind on any platform, as if they were swept off the planet.  most that stop coming here, do admit that they relapsed.  I try to help them because they sought out help before, I always hope they are ready for another try.  So that is a good reminder to all of us......remember ALL of our friends.  

LouiseR

Sure hits home Mike!

jonilou

I hate the thought that we didn't reach out enough and they didn't think we cared. We just never know what effect our words have and sometimes when people are really struggling, our encouragement can be a life saver. Thank you for this, Mike. It gives us something to really think about and take action on.

Giulia

I hate reading this blog.  And that's a good thing!

djmurray

Very powerful, Mike.

froguelady

WOW, enough to give you cold chills. Thanks Mike.

smorgy8513

Thanks Mike!       Love ya for doing this and love ya for being here to encourage us!

Sharon

nanawendy

Thanks Mike, Puts it all in perspective.  Sometimes while waiting for the right time to quit, we run completely out of time. 

keep calm and carry on

Wendy

12/31/12

jacks1125

thanks mike nice blog

pir8fan

So many more to add since this was written .......

YoungAtHeart

Yes - more EVERY day!

So sad and so unnecessary.  I will say it again, "Damn Big Tobacco!" for leading us down this trail.

elvan

Glad you re-posted this, it's a very sobering reminder.  Congratulations on YOUR quit, Mike and thanks a million for sticking around.

Ellen

About the Author
I began this quit journey on October 1, 2004. I'm not doing it for my wife or children nor in memory of the many family members or friends I have lost due to this addiction. I'm doing it for Mike. "The only real threat to your quit is between your ears" ~ Me "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor" ~ English proverb "A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trial" ~ Chinese proverb I'd rather be a non-smoker who thinks about smoking once in awhile, than a smoker who's always thinking about quitting" ~ Anonymous ~