cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Landscaping.

al_44
0 12 61

Today my friend died. He was the first person to talk to me about smoking as an addiction. As one addict to another. He didn't just say " that's gross you should quit" or " if I quit you can" or " that stinks" he really talked to me about it. He is the person who reccomended I find I support group and I did ( this site). He also recommended the phone app of hypnosis by max Kirsten ( I have mixed thoughts about that). 190 days later, in part, thanks to him, I am a non smoker. 

He was a landscaper and the most joyous person I have ever known. He left this world more beautiful than he found it in so many ways. 

I wish I had told him how greatful I was to him for helping me quit smoking but I did not. 

I am greatful to y,all. The newbies, the experts, the daily train posters, the no mans land posters, the people who's post I read the first day I joined the group, the poeple who have dedicated themselves to help people like me, the people who message my wall months after I last logged in, the commenters and all the people here who support each other. Thanks to all of you. 

12 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

My heartfelt condolences for your loss, Al! I'm sure that now he knows how well you're doing and how much you appreciate him! If ou think it might help, you could write him a Thank You letter and ceremonially burn or bury it.... It's always very hard when somebody dies and we feel that our goodbyes were incomplete. My true sympathy for your grief!

JonesCarpeDiem

I'm sorry for your loss.

Quitting smoking honors him.

Congratulations on the gift of freedom you reveived from you, he, and all your support here.

djmurray

What a moving blog, Al.  It's a lovely tribute to the person who opened your eyes, and a very meaningful message to all of us to be grateful for the resources we've been given to keep our quits intact.  This site made (and continues to make) all the difference for me and I know for many others.  We're very blessed to have tound it and each other.  I am very sorry for your loss, and very glad you were able to share it with us -- who really care about you.

Giulia

I hope to leave my mark upon this world as your friend did, with ever seed he planted - whether it be in the ground, or in the mind of someone we love.  He planted more seeds than he ever knew.  But I can tell you this as a gardener - what you plant, wherever you plant it - if it's meant to survive - it will.  The seed he planted in you was meant to survive.  And it has.  Keep honoring him with your quit.  It's the best way to give back to him the nourishment he gave to you.  I, personally,  am grateful to you for keeping your quit.  You nourish mine. 

linda.mustafa

My sincere condolences for your loss and true sympathy for your grief .

May he rest in peace .

I'm sure that he is very proud of your achievement , congratulations on your quit.

JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Congratualtions on 190 days smoke free and still not smoking while going through this trying time.  Thank you for sharing your inner most feelings.  We all can learn from one another.

smorgy8513

Sorry for your loss.    It is hard for those of us that are "left behind".      I agree with the comments above that you are honoring him with your quit.    That he knows how much he meant to you.       Know that you meant a lot to him.....that's why he wanted you to be FREE!

Sharon

YoungAtHeart

He lives on in your successful quit.  I am sure he knows how grateful you are, just as you should know how proud he was to have helped you be free.

My sympathy on your loss.

Nancy

Strudel

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Congratulations to you for always protecting your quit! You certainly honor his memory by sharing this story with us. Take care! 

Strudel

PS - Did you mean 990 days ago instead of "190"? (I just saw your last blog title......)

SkyGirl

Like Strudel above, I looked at your last blog.  I think you meant to say 890 days, not 190 days.  There is a difference there between those numbers in the comfort level with your Quit, but not necessarily in your dedication, which you have proved!  Congratulations on finding your Forever Quit, no matter how many days it has been!  I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.  I can only hope to leave behind me (on other Quitters) the kind of impact he had on your life...

Sky

al_44

Thank you all! As always you brought me comfort. And yes, it has Ben 893 days since I quit not 190. Ha! I remember when I used to count the hours.