cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

LIFE AFTER SMOKE

shashort
24 47 1,654

Wow wee a great feeling as I have actually went 1095 days equals 3 years without a single puff whatsoever!!  In the beginning of my quit I struggled.  I think for me and probably many others, it is really hard to see ourselves as nonsmokers, because smoking is all we knew.  For me, I mourned the loss of my Nico dude, I had a sense of  missing something.  I didn't realize it at the time but all these smoking years I have been missing out on real life. I lost out on the feeling of sense of purpose.   Before I quit smoking I would rarely go anywhere because I didn't want the hassle of having to find a place to get my fix, was embarrassed because my smoke smell, and really it was so much easier to stay home and not have a life. I would make excuses why not to go to family things or if I went I would be outside sneaking a fix and missing family conversation. I am sure many of us did the same thing, if we couldn't smoke we wouldn't go. So real life loss is what I was missing and the sense of belonging, because I isolated myself from the real world.  In the beginning we struggle and fight ourselves and the process because of the unknown and fear of life without Nico dude or dude-etts (my made up word lol) in our life.

Let me tell you there is life after smoke and I am loving life and me again. I have discovered there is life and people on the outside of my doors. I am doing things I would never do before. I wake up breathing in the mornings and no more struggles of gasping for air. I actually go to exercise class with a group of people. I would have never done this ,for one I am very shy and uncomfortable exercising in front of people, I couldn't breath while exercising and my self worth was none. I volunteer helping special needs kids, which I wouldn't do before because I was ashamed of the way I smell. So let me tell you there is life without smoking.  I enjoying waking up and knowing there is things to do in life, and there is people out there to me meet and gaining new friends and having a social life again is way better than being a slave to the Nico dude. Another great thing in my  life I have learned so much about me and learned I am as valuable as anyone else, but I am still a work in progress.  So to the newbies, I challenge you to think beyond the life of smoking and really visualize what you think life could be like for you.  What kind of things can you do again that you enjoy doing that smoking kept you from.doing. Get excited about your quits!  Find your determination and go this your final quit. Think positive and KNOW YOU CAN do anything your set your mind to.  Know that all the discomfort you experience in the beginning will not last forever, and it is so worth the effort so get to the other side of life after smoke.

The great thing about this group is you don't have to go alone through this journey. We are your cheerleaders! Use us and come here for help, vent frustrations, read and learn all you can.  I know for me I would have never made it through this journey to new life without the great Elders and support I received here. Again, another great thing of life without smoking is all the great people and friends I have met here.  So to my Elders THANK YOU for putting up with my tantrums and knowing what to say to help me get through this journey and keeping me on the curvy and narrow path to freedom.  So to the newbies, stick to the path of freedom and you will not regret it.  Stick with NOPE! It will take you to freedom.

47 Comments
maryfreecig

Well said, Shashort. Thanks for sharing your quit story and success.  You are awesome!

anaussiemom

8VwNpoz.jpgThank you. ❤️

YoungAtHeart

THREE YEARS???

Hip!  Hip!  Hooray!  This deserves a C E L E B R A T I O N !

Balloons!

balloons-colors-1920w-copy.png

A Parade!

rose-parade-e1545253322181.jpg

and CAKE, of course CAKE!!!

IMG-1550.JPG

Enjoy your special anniversary!

Nancy

sweetplt

pastedImage_1.gifshashort On 3 years of Freedom...Enjoy ... love what you wrote...you inspire me and many at Ex’s ~ Colleen 162 DOF 

Christine13

Many congratulations on your 3 year quit!!  You had many challenges as you went along, but you never gave in and smoked!  Horray!!!

Barbscloud

Great success story.  Thanks for your continued support.

Image result for CONGRATS ON 3YEARS QUIT SMOKING

Barb

elvan

Congratulations on three amazing years, Sharon.  Can't wait to see you this week!  Beautiful blog!

Love,

Ellen

Sandi4

Congratulations!!!  You are an inspiration to us all!

jonimarie

Great post Sharon Congratulations on 3 years

indingrl

Beautiful you and full of HOPE to ME - yes living life as a non smoker is the cat's meow- for ME- breathing- excited to get up each NEW day knowing how to stay in this day one MOMENT in the present - for ME - in HIS love- awe it really wonderful having this site and ALL of YOU walking your talk - WAY TO GO! gentle hug.

Mandolinrain

HOOTIE HOOT AND THREE YEARS TO BOOT!

Congrats to you sweet friend!!!! YAY!!!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

NewMe

Woo Hoo and Yay You! Super congratulations on your stupendous, ginormous 3 years and counting! Thanks for all you have done to help others too!

vanlil

Hi Girlfriend

Wow so happy for you .  You sound happy joyous and FREE!  My 3 yrs. is next month. Hope you are all healed from your surgical bouts.   I am ok - feet now diagnosed as nerve pain.  Had a couple of steroid shots that sort of helps.BUT still teaching my pilate classes.  Not standing up but only on the mat,.

I am thrilled for you.

Lillian (vanlil)

Deena-A-Yenni

Great blog.  Thanks for sharing.

Storm.3.1.14

"...really, it was so much easier to stay home and not have a life."

This is, at once, both heartbreaking AND liberating! Never forget how far you've come out of those prison doors. There's no going back now!

CONGRATULATIONS ON 3 YEARS!!!

MarilynH

CONGRATULATIONS Sharon   Sorry I'm late my friend and Fellow Exer and most definetly EXtended family XO  CONGRATULATIONS on your fantastic fabulous beautiful glorious wonderful humongous ginormous magnificent amazing spectacular splendiferous stupendous awesome 3 precious Smokefree years and counting WTG ,LIFE just keeps getting better and better as an EXer.....

220828957f3fb57fde4e15b76ab5c0e8.jpg

KMC56

Life IS amazing without smoking..it IS truly a JOY!

Congratulations!! 

Kathy

mrios5776

Congratulations on three years! Absolutely excellent blog!

Legend

Wow it’s been 3 years already time fly’s by quick. Congratulations on your wonderful 3 years quit.  

virgomama

So agree, shashort.  Loved this blog.  It was inspiring,  Seven months ago I started my non smoking journey and you were there to send me off.  I'm still here thanks to the support of you and other Elders on this site.  I can't say enough how important making a plan and following it is.  And also staying in touch with this site.  

Giulia

Just now reading this WONDERFUL blog of yours.  You're just AWESOME, you know that!  And you make our Elder's hearts happy by your steadfast commitment to your quit and your support here.  So glad we got to spend some time together at the EX 7 reunion!  Happy belated ....

AlphabetDance3.gif

Dominque

Hi what does NOPE mean?

Barbscloud

Not One Puff Ever     I know, the Ex has it's own language that I was clueless about at first.

Barb

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/30808-abbreviations-expressions-used-in-the-ex-community?... 

Dominque

Thanks !!!!!

Dorothyjack53

Thank you, I love your stoy.

Redhead101

Hi I was reading  your story of your life as a smoker, I know exactly  how you feel I can breath  much better without  them cigs,,I was quit Sept 25 but slipped  on oct11,oh my how i was I so excited  abt my quit ,then I ruined  it ,but the great  thing about it I got back on that horse the following  day ,,I'm definitely determined to make it through this time May smokes free lifetime on my day 2 now 

shashort

Welcome to EX Redhead101!   Love your username!  Thanks for stopping by.  Sorry to hear you slipped but happy to hear you jumped right back on the quit journey.  That is what it takes is to find that determination, stick to your commitment, and show that Nico dude you mean business and show it who is boss.  You CAN do this!!  Keep saying NOPE (not one puff ever) and take it one day at a time will get you to that life of freedom you are seeking.  Congratulations on day !  Feel free to give me a holler if your struggling.

shashort

Dorothyjack53  stick with your commitment and NOPE will set you free.

thenicolelineah

Thank you!

Nancycuddington

Thanks for sharing!

toddsmith23

Freedom is an amazing thing to have, but you have to be free of something to realize and embrace it...

Great testimony!!!!

daniellestrum23

Thank you for sharing! What a beautiful thing. I’m so glad that you are here giving encouragement and telling your story, especially for us just starting out! 

shashort

Welcomedaniellestrum23 to EX and glad you have decided to make the best decision of your life.  Looks like you about got HELL week done. Congratulations on 7 days.  Remember NOPE!! The great thing is you don't have to do this quitting thing by yourself.  Feel free to holler for any of us for help by titling a blog with HELP and we will come running to your rescue or message me.  YOU CAN DO THIS!

razzelbal

Thanks for sharing my first day is tomorrow a little anxious but I'm ready.

maryfreecig

Sounds about right! Yes you can.

shashort

Welcome to the first day of your quit.  Remember to try keep a positive attitude.  Tell yourself I CAN DO THIS!  Drink lots of water to flush those toxins.  Most of all do whatever it takes to not grab for a cigarette.  Did you get rid of all smoking apparels, cigs, ashtray lighter?  Make sure you blog for help if you start to struggle, but you have to do this before you light up.  YES YOU CAN!!!

Gointotryagain

So how did you do? I'm curious because I've reset my quit date 3 times now. I'm not feeling very good about myself. I hope you stuck to your date and are doing well! God bless

Barbscloud

Don't let fear get the best of you.  I honestly overcame the fear when I realized it was a choice.  If I chose to smoke again, I could.  If you approach it one day at a time, each new day is a choice.  You can do this.  

Barb

Had to correct that typo!  Don't not do!

Tsaddik1

Thanks, Shashort. Your blog  post was very helpful. Blew my first quit date of March 8th and am struggling to set a new date. Am having major surgery to rebuild my entire cervical spine in less than 36 hours and it is rather anxiety producing. Originally, surgeon told me 6 months ago that he wouldn't do the procedure until I  quit first. 3 months ago, after re-evaluation, he said my situation had deteriorated so much that he had to schedule the surgery because of discs and vertebrae were impinging on the spinal cord severely. If I waited longer, I ran the very real risk of permanent damage and the attendant paralysis as the consequence!  So now I've got to set a new quit date, which will have to be in the next 1-2 weeks. Please pray for me to come up with a quit date sooner than later. Thanks so much for your support and helpful posts.

Gary W.

YoungAtHeart

Tsaddik1

READ Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking” NOW!  You might find a copy online.   It is easier to conquer an enemy you know.  While not the be-all, end-all to quitting smoking, this easy and fast read.gives you good information about how this addiction affects your body and mind.  It made a difference in my success (on my first attempt, I might add) and I credit it in large measure for it.  Read information, too, from the other links I provided to you in March. 

You will heal better and faster after the surgery if you don't smoke.  I have a good friend who had a surgery that was unsuccessful in healing - and I believe to this day it is because they smoked.  You have a few hours to get a quit kit together - DO it:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/224543-re-quit-kit-aka-tool-box?commentID=224543#comment-... .

Get rid of all smoking materials BEFORE you leave for the hospital.....that way you won't fail as soon as you get home!  I know it's difficult to think of life after smoking, but you CAN do it - one day at a time!

Best of luck to you on your surgery!

Nancy

shashort

Hi Tsaddik1 . Welcome and thanks for stopping by.  For me setting a quit date was hard.  I knew that when I picked a date and the day arrived I would have to give up my cigarettes forever.  The idea of not having a cigarette gave me more anxiety.  Knowing now what I know about smoking and quitting, I added way more stress and anxiety than I needed to.  Most of us do.  With that being said, pick a date, read everything you can learn about quitting smoking.  The more knowledge you have the better prepared your are to succeed.  This quitting is not easy, we all know that, but it is doable.  But as my title says there is life afer smoking and it is the best gift we can give ourselves.  The great thing is joining this group you do not have to go it alone.  We are your cheerleaders.  Blog a lot, tell us how we can help.  We are here use us.  Best wishes for your surgery coming up.  Great thing is not smoking equals quicker healing time.  You got this! You CAN do it, GO FOR IT!  Let us know how the surgery went.

Giulia

Great to see you posting, Sassy.  Hope you're okay.

Barbscloud

So how are you doing Gary?

Barb

ryanbrinnon

Thank you for the information.

Tsaddik1

Thanks for asking, Barb. Had the surgery on 4/22. Never experienced the level of pain I initially had, and I've been shot and stabbed before while working as a cop and bounty hunter! Will hopefully post the whole story soon. Surgeon told me that smoking or not, he had to do the surgery as I had severe impingement on the spinal cord itself. The pain has finally gotten to a level that makes me think I  just might make it given a little more time and patience. Looks like an erector set in my cervical spine as they did a total reconstruct from the base of my skull to the top of my shoulders. Took surgical team 10 hours to perform, so still have problems with swallowing and talking. Wearing a large hard collar brace to keep head and chin upright ALL THE TIME, including attempts to sleep. Impossible to look down, so gotta run for now as it is painful to post. Bottom line on smoking is I've gone from a high of 2-2 1/2 packs a day to present consumption of about 8-9cigs/day. Again, thanks for asking...

Barbscloud

Thanks for checking in.   I'm happy to hear your surgery was a success, but that sounds  like a terrible experience.  I can only image how painful it must be  Take the time you need to recover.   Happy to hear your still working on your quit.  We're still here for you. 

Barb

shashort

Thanks for checking in.  Glad surgery is over. Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Keep working that quit as not smoking will speed the process to recovery. You can do this.

About the Author
Hi! My name is Sharon and I am married, a mom to 5 kids and also have 2 fur babies that are both shelties and considered my kids. I have smoked for about 30 years. I came here to learn how to quit and stay quit. I need to quit to impove my health and was tired of nicotine controlling me and Doctors and family nagging me. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. Now that I have joined in the EX family I now have been free of nicotine since May 13th 2016.