Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Knowledge is Power - Know your ENEMY!

Thomas3.20.2010
33 66 4,589

Desire to Smoke Subsides, But Cigarette Cues Retain Power

A study by Drs. Gillinder Bedi and Harriet de Wit of the University of Chicago and Drs. Kenzie Preston, David Epstein, and Stephen Heishman of the NIDA Intramural Research Program provided initial evidence that drug-dependent humans can experience “incubation” of cue-induced craving. The phenomenon— an increasing susceptibility to drug cues during the first months of abstinence—has been documented repeatedly in animals. The issue has important clinical implications, suggesting that cues may continue to act as a potent trigger for relapse well past the initial period of withdrawal.

The 86 participants in the study were daily smokers who were not seeking treatment and were paid to quit for 7, 14, or 35 days. They came to the laboratory daily for tests to confirm abstinence, and the researchers measured their craving responses to cues on the last day of their participation. One group also participated in repeated cue tests on days 7, 14, and 35. The cues consisted of holding a lit cigarette and looking at photos of cigarettes, and participants rated their craving before and after cue exposure.

The cue-induced craving was roughly twice as strong after 35 days of abstinence as it was after 1 week. Moreover, the craving increased over this period even though the smokers’ urges to light up in the absence of cues steadily weakened, dropping by more than 25 percent over 5 weeks.

Biological Psychiatry 69(7):708– 711, 2011.

66 Comments
elvan

Thomas3.20.2010‌ Your blogs give so much to so many and they keep on giving.  DO see the comment above.  You are amazing, my friend.

Ellen

Cricket

Thank you PRAIRIEROSELADY‌, I did MUCH BETTER yesterday!!  I had been doing well mostly staying on the postive until last weekend when my daughter go hurt.  I had a very rough day and I did blog for help.  I had not heard about the "No man's land", but I was experiencing it.  I blogged again asking if I was imaging it. The stress triggered a big withdrawal that lasted 4 days!  Sun- Wednesday!  It peaked, Wednesday.  I was cranky with husband and tearful.  It was like a grand fanale.  I woke up yesterday and felt Much better!!  During my hard time, i spent alot of time on forum, reading and comenting a little here or there, but unable to write.  A couple of time i thought of asking for help, but i couldn't because i didnt know what was wrong, so I had no words.....Thank God!  

I had a wonderful day yesterday, it was a good Art day:) 

Cricket

Also, I am going to repost this reply on my blog:

Days following Temptation so I keep a record of this post.

Karine

Means I am not imagining it either .. Its the emotional part.  Its painful and frustrating . I am not that far into my quit coming up on one month but I guess everyone is different . I ma cocooning the best I can because I want so much more than a cigarette 

elvan

Karine‌ Stay close to the site, it will save you and your quit.  The  emotional turmoil is intense but it DOES get better.

Ellen

indingrl

Thanks good info then and now 2019! Your a good teacher MY brother - gentle hug.

Redhead101

Hi @morning,,,cig now these days are 7 bucks ,yes think of the money you'd be saving,,,I got me a jar I put mine in ,,,I'm going on 11 days  now 

Dustofstars

Hey! How are you doing?

ZM123

Haha, end of 2019 and I find it so helpful! thank you! I have been smoke free for 12 days. Yesterday there was a strong hit. 2 days ago I had a strong craving, man, I am so scared of them, they don't feel good. But I am determined. I will not start again. But I am horrified of No Man's Land. It happened to me several times in my life, and I got right back on the wagon. At least now I have this website and more knowledge about addiction. I swear I thought before it's all just a little something I like, like a candy in the afternoon. But after years of doing the same stuff it was just plain ignorant not to be honest with myself....I keep studying and researching addiction to educate myself more, thank you guys!

JonesCarpeDiem

don't be horrified. It's better to know whats happening than not to know.

Tumbleweed1982

I see that this post is seven years old but I'm sure glad it's here and I was cued to read it! I've experienced this in prior quits. With this knowledge as power I have more confidence I can withstand pressures of this No Man's Land. Thank you!

anntann

Fantastic, useful information! and so darned true.....I can attest to it, te hardest part are the cues. A cup of coffee was my particular bugbear!!! 

Suzinut

I am ready to enter NO MANS LAND...and boy this is definitely a real place!  So glad to read about it so I am aware and can defend myself against it...THANK YOU!

anntann

NML ...or No man's land period, was by far one of the most useful/empowering bits of info I recieved here, when I quit over 4 years ago. To understand one's susceptibility and vulnerablity during the quit phase, is so useful....I related and understaood why I had often tripped 3 months into quitting, at earlier attempts.

JuJuCFruit

dollymargaret

Allen Carr's books are excellent!  I was a happy nonsmoker for about 2 or 3 months before l I was almost killed in a car wreck.  Unfortunately the person with me was a smoker and I relapsed.

I am going to reread his book "The Only Way to Stop Smokling Permanently."

This quit I have not smoked for 33 days before I entered "no man's land."

lauraupchurch43

Thank you for the information, this helps me tremendously through the tuff and ruff day's a head.

About the Author
63 years old. 20 year smoker. 11 Years FREE! Diagnosed with COPD. Choosing a Quality LIFE! It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. -Galatians 5:1