Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Knowledge is Power - Know your ENEMY!

Thomas3.20.2010
33 66 4,564

Desire to Smoke Subsides, But Cigarette Cues Retain Power

A study by Drs. Gillinder Bedi and Harriet de Wit of the University of Chicago and Drs. Kenzie Preston, David Epstein, and Stephen Heishman of the NIDA Intramural Research Program provided initial evidence that drug-dependent humans can experience “incubation” of cue-induced craving. The phenomenon— an increasing susceptibility to drug cues during the first months of abstinence—has been documented repeatedly in animals. The issue has important clinical implications, suggesting that cues may continue to act as a potent trigger for relapse well past the initial period of withdrawal.

The 86 participants in the study were daily smokers who were not seeking treatment and were paid to quit for 7, 14, or 35 days. They came to the laboratory daily for tests to confirm abstinence, and the researchers measured their craving responses to cues on the last day of their participation. One group also participated in repeated cue tests on days 7, 14, and 35. The cues consisted of holding a lit cigarette and looking at photos of cigarettes, and participants rated their craving before and after cue exposure.

The cue-induced craving was roughly twice as strong after 35 days of abstinence as it was after 1 week. Moreover, the craving increased over this period even though the smokers’ urges to light up in the absence of cues steadily weakened, dropping by more than 25 percent over 5 weeks.

Biological Psychiatry 69(7):708– 711, 2011.

66 Comments
SarahP

Very interesting!  So over the first month the "urge" to light up decreases, as one would expect, but the strength of triggers increases. Sounds like proof of what we observe here -- No Man's Land is a dangerous place!  

aztec

Thanks Thomas

Have a great week

aztec

JonesCarpeDiem

We need to show this to the doubters, Thomas. LOL

lisa11209
Thank you for more great information!
Newfound_Joy

Sounds like an EXtremely sneaky, deceptive, nasty addiction to me.

Thanks, Thomas.  I am a believer!!

Ex_Nancy

Yes, it sounds Exactly like NML....thank you Thomas!

stonecipher

I believe this.  In the first month, I wanted to smoke, or noticed that I wasn't smoking, more often.  In the next months, I didn't have urges as often, but when I did, they were more intense, emotionally.

So, I guess there is science to back up the wisdom here.  Not that we needed it.

nickmillerz

I agree with Newfound Joy...its an EXtremely sneaky addiction. We'll keep out eyes open. Thank you Thomas!

nickmillerz

*our*

aries2

Thanks, Thomas! I'm in NO Man's Land having quit June 20 (36 days quit). I don't have family nor children nor grandchildren -- they have been taken away or plain cut me out of their lives, so I need a support buddy. I live in upstate SC but from Jacksonville, FL. I am on disability and am age 61. I have no friends here or have the money to go out on. I am blessed that I don't have a smoker in the house so I can reach this point.

So any of your friends who are in the same boat as me who have quit -- prefer a single or divorced person who can understand the lonliness when you have no human to talk to.

Thanks, Aries

carol-t

I have not had a cigarette in 74 days. I foolishly , after over 6 wks. of this quit, took a ecigarette I have had for a couple of Yrs. with me to Christmas dinner at daughters. My husband smokes, I don't watch him, my bad figuring told me we have always gone on the deck there togather. If it is over whelming better an e-cig than a cigarette. We had 29 people there with lots of little ones. I used the ecigarette and yes now I want it. I don't use it a lot but I know it is the idea of nicotine and my hand. I don't expect sympathy in here as I know your all tough love. I just have to work this out now. The day after Christmas I got a bad something in my heel tendons. Doctored and not gout. I have had this before and a mystery I guess. The Podiatrist form last bout put me in a cast boot. I,m using it but slow go. I'm not getting out or around good. I will keep trying. 75 Yrs. old and really don't want to smoke again.  Carol Turner

swilson2

i dont like no mans land, can i please skip this one and go too the next step ( just kidding)

fenshie

Hi!!  Without having read your information, this kind of relapse happened to me twice before!!  Gave up successfully twice, only to fall back into it after having been smoke free for 3 months!!  No man's land, as you say.

Thanks for sharing this invaluable information as, this time round, I will have much more information and be better prepared!!  It really is a tough addiction!!  

Until now, i have not understood why, even after feeling and breathing so much better, I still went back to smoking!!  

lynne31

I ALSO WENT BACK {TWICE} AFTER BEING OFF FOR 3 MONTHS. THIS IS VERY GOOD TO KNOW I WILL BE PREPARED THIS TIME. NO GOING BACK,I WILL SUCCEED!!

adidassler

Great post...really positive vibes which has helped me during my quit...

Thank You

We need more people like you to educate the smokers that are in denial...

Adidassler

sataolives

This goes to show how powerful nicotine is and no matter how intense the triggers are, we must stand and face our demons.  No excuse is reasonable enough to go back to being a junkie.

crouch2b
Wish someone would pay me to quit. Might make it easier. Oh, wait. I save at least 5 bucks a day by not smoking. Whew!
anastasiagreece

Great post

Maybe the best i have ever read about smoking, thank you so much !!!

oh4joy.km
Thank you. Been there. Repeated twice. Now ready to beat this to prevent another heart attack that I may not survive.
DollyMargaret

CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS were a trigger for me after 8 months free and I GAVE IN!!!  I am about to be a FORMER chronic relapser as my last cigarette will be in 4 days!   Reading Allen Carr's Easy Way and am really taking  my forever quit seriously and looking forward to it.  I've had quits that lasted 2 years, 5 years and the most recent started rocky and lasted only 8 months because the CRAVING from seeing CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS and remembering smoking during Christmas the former year was INTENSE.  All reason went out the window as the lingering cravings were happening for over three days.  This study made me see I'm not crazy!  I believe this craving was super strong and NEXT TIME I'LL BE READY.  I bought myself a ring from Tiffany with the infinity symbol on it that should be a positive reminder that I can enjoy my life smoke free.  It will be on my finger forever so that I always have a reminder.  I've insisted that I throw my ring in the river before I ever light up again.  Allen Carr I just read discourages such practices, so while this is true, I don't even have to acknowlege that I will do that because I will relish and laugh at the cravings that are in my future.  My dad dying was my excuse to start smoking after 5 years clean,  if nature follows it's usual course some day my mom will dye before me and I will not smoke then or because of any other such tragedy.  There is no problem smoking can't make worse and I look so forward to my quit date this week!!!

DollyMargaret

It won't let me edit, I know it's spelled die, not dye.  (eyeroll)  And BTW, I will put my ring on after my last cigarette not before.  Kind of a fun part of quitting...a little pomp and circumstance.

avonly

Very good!

anntann

Jeez how bizzarre is that? Cravings worse as nicotine leaves your system? Atleast one is armed with knowledge now.....thatnk you for this.

Violet_Quit

Thank you for the reading material that i just read. NOW I Know No Mans Land is a dangerous and scary place. But now that I know more about it....I'LLbe ready.And i know with my EX Friends I have all the support I needto beat this.Thanks Thomas and Dale for the readings.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            violet

Lauralives

This is good information Thomas.  I won't feel so alone when this happens and I will reach out!  Laura

thenicolelineah

Day 109. I was prepared this time but it's been harder than I expected. I'm still doing this for me and to save money and I have been making very good choices. 

turtlegirl101

I have quit so many times!! I tried the patch, Wellbutrin, and cold turkey a lot of times.  I even quit for six years and thought I would never start again. Then I went through a divorce and leaned back on my unhealthy coping mechanisms. I.e. Smoking! So here I am again three days in so far so good. It's totally true about the intense craving months out. In the beginning you expect them. For me it's minute by minute. Every few reminding myself that I'm not smoking anymore. Later it can be very discombobulating when a trigger comes out of nowhere and the feeling is so intense. It's really frustrating at times when you think you have something licked. I guess though smoking is like any other addiction and it is a lifelong process. You know when I look at my daughters sweet faces and I think about how I want to be around for them and watch them grow into adults it is motivating to stay quit. I also want to do this for myself. I  have depression and anxiety. In my experience it seems harder to quit with these conditions because when you wake up feeling low and don't care about yourself you feel like lighting up and don't care so much about the consequences at the time.  I think I sometimes use cigarettes as a way to zone out and not engage with people.  I am one of those people that sits around and chain smokes and I just can't stop at one. 

Lauralives

Love this Thomas!  I really felt like a loser and unusual in my cravings!!  Thanks so much!!  Laura

Showiestodin

Thank you Thomas. This is an informative post. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. You're always so knowledgeable.

ahkhippiechic

Wow, really good info and SCARY.  I have had many successfull temporary quits and I am starting to understand why..........

Sandy-9-17-17

My quit has been so easy, but reading this has sort of put the scare into me!  I mean I know Halloween is coming up, but seriously?  Craves are to become worse?  Ugh!  Well my birthday and my sons' birthday is on the 30th of October, and as a present to us both, I am going to remain a happy quitter.  I will be on guard now more than ever, now that I have read this!  Thanks Thomas! 

Sandy

JonesCarpeDiem

Just stay alert and call for help if you need it.

elvan

Pretty much reinforces the idea of No Man's Land...they would have been just ENTERING it at 35 days.  I remember not being able to look at a lighter or a pack of cigarettes or even coupons for the first couple of weeks.  I could not even SAY the word cigarette without being strongly triggered.  

Sandy-9-17-17

Oh for sure, you know I will!  Thanks Dale!

ElizabethRachel

Thank you for this timely article.  This really explains a lot.  My quit date 9/11/2017 is the 1st day free and lately it is getting a lot harder.  I have become very close to smoking over the past week or so.  I am going through the end of a very difficult life challenge and am dying to reward myself with a nice relaxing cigarette.  So far I have beat these urges over and over again because one gem or another (I'm stronger than my urges, cravings pass, 10 is not enough and 1 is too many) from this site helps me put off "just one".  Knowledge IS power. 

Saw the doctor yesterday (more follow-up regarding the rotator cuff surgery 8/9/2017).  Still on the mend and will be for quite a while but he was soooo excited about my progress and equally as excited about my quitting smoking.  He said that a straight forward cuff tear has about a 93% success rate for a non-smoker.  For a smoker the success rate falls to 50-50 and could be less.  This has everything to do with the beauty of the circulatory system to run at 100% and do its job.   

elvan

Good for you ElizabethRachel‌, keep stacking those days...think NOPE, SINAO, "The only way out is through", "One step and then another will get you to where you want to be."  This is a journey...one step at a time.   NOTHING is worth losing a quit over...NOTHING..glad you are recovering from your surgery, having had both shoulders done, I remember how challenging my recoveries were.  The hardest one for me was my left because I am left handed and not good at asking for help.  

Keep stacking your days, it DOES get easier, I PROMISE.  Stay close to the site, particularly when you are feeling challenged in your quit, we have ALL been there.

Ellen

ElizabethRachel

Thank you for your words of support. You must be a brave soul to have both shoulders done! Another day w/o a smoke. Today was a bit easier.

elvan

I had them done separately...it was really tough to do the second one, the first one was SO PAINFUL.  The second one was a couple of years later but man...that surgery is a bear.  I need bilateral shoulder replacements now, they cannot do them at the same time and I told them that I am not having any more shoulder surgery until my arms are hanging uselessly by my sides.  I am dealing with enough issues with my failing body...rheumatoid arthritis, scoliosis from degenerative disc disease and osteoporosis, two HALF lungs...I had both upper lobes removed in 2015, my back pain is relentless...I would not wish this on my worst enemy.  I PROMISE you that things will get better as you stack up the time...it's not an easy journey but remember it IS a journey and not an event.  It's one step at a time and baby steps count.  

Keep going, we are here for you and we all want you to succeed.

Ellen

darnPainter

As a newbie to this site I appreciate this post and the replies from peoples experience with the so called no mans land. I too had quit twice before and relapsed after 3 months=90 days. For me it was anger/resentment that seemed to come to the surface. So I can relate when people say there is an emotional connection there. I fear that again even before I joined this website... Maybe here I can get past it this time??? I'm also in a 12 step program that focuses on "one day at a time and help from a higher power. I'm as powerless over nicotine as I am with the other addiction. The last two quits I tried it on my own and failed. I think I should know better? When it comes to addiction, I need others to remind me that I'm a quick forgetter- I need a "we" this time for support. Thank you for all sharing, darnPainter, John 

elvan

darnPainter  The psychological addiction to nicotine is much stronger than the physical addiction, unlike with other substances.  Anger was my toughest trigger too...I would smoke a cigarette as fast as I could, all the while visualizing the person or thing I felt the anger toward, incinerating.  Did that every happen?  Hahaha..nope, not a chance.  I did use a 1 step program as well...one day at a time is the ONLY way to be successful with this addiction.  Our addictions, whatever they were, helped us to stuff our emotions and when they surfaced without the drug, they seemed much bigger and tougher than they would have been had we faced them when we were supposed to...like growing up.  We pretty much have to learn how to deal with life on life's terms and not with the drug(s) we were using....we were ALL powerless over those drugs and with the help of a support group, our higher power, and education...we can become the people we were always meant to be.

Ellen 

elvan

ElizabethRachel‌ How are you doing?  Haven't seen any comments or blogs unless I am just missing them.  Wanted you to know I am thinking of you.

Ellen

bonniebee

thanks Thomas for the good info and i know for a fact it has been true for me 

Deb-EX

Hi Thomas, On to 2017 and this blog still comes to the rescue of newbies like me! Following the GREAT post of No Mans Land, I'm on Day 14 in my quit and I can say that day 1 through 12 went so smoothly I thought I got this, NO PROBLEM. Ha. That should have been my first que that a bomb was about to drop because since day 12 I went from smooth sailing to hanging on my by fingertips! Everyone is different, and everyone struggles at different times but I have been struggling and luckly for me, I had been sent in the direction of Elder's like you. I am so grateful because it settles my insane mind. It does get harder and harder until that break through - I won't go back, I want that freedom to much to ever start over from Day 1 ever again. I am keeping educated, reading through older blogs and validating what I am feeling is not new to anyone's thats been in my shoes. I am going through  a tough time these last days, but I couldn't be prouder of myself for sticking to my commitment and not caving into the addiction. 

AnnetteMM

I will be on the lookout for those out-of-the-blue NML cravings!  I cannot even imagine holding a lit cigarette and not bringing it up to my face automatically. Those study participants must have been amazing.

Thomas3.20.2010

AnnetteMM‌ If I were handed a lit Sickerette I would immediately stomp it to smithereens! You will get there too with time! Keep stacking those Days of Freedom!

Deb-EX

AnnetteMM I'm 75 days into my quit and while I'm not where Thomas is just yet  I look forward to getting there!! Anyways... Always be on the lookout for those cravings and always be ready... they ARE there just lurking around waiting for you to let your guard down! For me awareness was key in getting through, and you do get through

PRAIRIEROSELADY

STUMBLED ON THIS 3 PC. SERIES OF ARTICLES BY ACCIDENT.....I NOW KNOW WHY after 3 mos. I CRASHED AND BURNT!!!! I will do my best to plan for this NO MAN'S LAND!!!!!  I just could never wrap my head around what the heck what wrong with me?????????Then I'd beat myself up emotionally,go back to the cigs and smoke more than before the QUIT started....I'd also became very depressed

Cricket

Well...I think it is sad and fusterating news.  It means I am not imagining it and this week does suck!!  Rats! Grrrrrrrr and dang!

Cricket 46 DOF

PRAIRIEROSELADY

hang in there Cricket! It is doable! Everyone around here has our backs.... If you think you are cracking then jump on line and post! Someone will answer! That sure saved me! I just finished a blog about how I stumbled into No Man's Land.......... Maybe it will help you?

We are going to get there............ I do not have any desire to light up anymore... That is gone...It's situations that in the past my response was to light up..... I'm beating them,1 by 1 until they will be gone too.........

karenjones

The info in this post was a wow moment for me. Thanks for the post. you are a great resource https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Thomas-blog?sr=search&searchId=f158fc22-a3ab-4a81-9158-3309...

About the Author
63 years old. 20 year smoker. 11 Years FREE! Diagnosed with COPD. Choosing a Quality LIFE! It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. -Galatians 5:1