cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Keeping the mind busy

Gail561
4 5 106

One of the best things you can do when you start out in this journey is keeping your mind busy. Go for a walk, a shower, go to a place that doesn't allow smoking like the movies, ice staking rink whatever comes to mind. That's the trick your mind plays tricks with you after the nicotine wears off. The mind thinks it still wants the satisfaction of holding and playing with a cigarette in your hand. You realize it’s all a trick and all you are left with are coughing spells. We used smoking as a crutch, diversion, or whatever reason to pick up one out of a pack you felt control. The control isn’t in smoking, it’s learning how to deal with our emotions daily. We are guiding ourselves through curve balls, anger, and any other emotions that we go through to give us reasons to light up. Then again after the cigarette is gone whatever is on your mind is still there. Yes, there are different techniques you can use to limit the emotional regrets of smoking. I know I have them more than wanting to light up again. Keep a list of your emotions and what you did differently to solve them without the smoke and mirrors. In time you will be happier and see you didn’t need them in the first place.

Just remember to keep the mind busy and you will get through the craves one step, one second at a time.

5 Comments
About the Author
Learning to deal with the effects of COPD - one day at a time. I am a survivor and new steps in improving my life style. I work full time as a CSR for a Plumbing Manufacturing Company. I am married to a supportive husband and a daughter who are my rock.