cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Just venting !

kencman
0 10 126

Like the blog below said, if you don't want to read just keep going. I am at day 74 and I never imagined I would feel so crappy after quiting. My lack of breath now is rediculos. I walk from the kitchen to my lazy-boy and when I sit down I have about 30 sec of heavy breathing. All my joints ache unless I take Aleave every day. I am losing my voice again for the third time. Constipation if now my daily companion no matter what I eat, and I eat mostly veggies and fruit. Drinks lots of juice and water as well. One PLUS has befallen me, the brain fog is just about over it seems. In the beginning it was terrible, leave my card in the cash machine, forget to add ingredience to recipes, not be able to remember names, places, numbers. Now unto the most irritating of them all : The anger and rage. I finally put two and too together, I am an avid FPS video game player and as such I have used that medium to help me through this. Well as it turns out, when smoking if I got killed, I would go have a smoke, If I won a battler or leveled up I would go have a smoke. Now I am not smoking and there isn't anything to repalce that cig with ... not yet anyway. SO .. today I deleted the game off my computer (Fallout New Vegas)at the moment. I have not really had any anger or rage this afternoon, so maybe this will help. I sure hope so. This whole text is actually a two fold thing : One just to get it out as that is one of the reasons for this site and the other is to ask any of you ... IF you are having breathing or had breathing problems like me with the same or similar amount of days not smoking please leave a comment. I am not looking for comfort, tough love or inspiration. If you can relate please do so, If I  have helped by listing what I am going thru then that's a good thing.

10 Comments
newlife5

ken go get yourself checked out for copd,

alot of this is normal but you should be improving on your breathing...but only a doctor can tell if you are healing properly

Thomas3.20.2010

I have COPD and that is how I feel 3 1/2 years later. I'm not saying that you have COPD. I don't know that and you don't either. I'm saying that you need to go see your Doctor and ask for a Spirometry Test. Then if you have COPD just know that there is a lot that you can do to relieve your symptoms. 

rizza

Kem, I am glad you vented! 

jojo_2-24-11

Vented is good, Kenc! I agree with the Thomas and newlife, go to the doctors and get checked out.

Michwoman

Hi Ken - yes we are here for you to vent on. Please do it as often as you need. It sounds to me like your body is giving you a message. Your lungs are cleaning themselves out and saying "dang dude what took ya so long".  Please do visit your doctor - who will be thrilled that you quit. Please stick with it. You're doing GREAT  with 74 days!!! Woohooo!!!!

wishingstar

I am glad you fond what making you angry. They gave the best advice. please get  your self checked. I am not doctor but more of a conerned friend who shares a comon bond  

Maryjo1953

Hi Ken

Glad you vented, I too think a check up is warranted because of the shortness of breath, could be bronchitis or pneumonia , something that will get better with meds.  I was feeling the same way about the cravings I thought after a couple of weeks they would just go away and I kept on waiting for them to stop.  After doing a lot of reading, I started tracking the cravings and welcomed them , on one site it said to imagine the nicotine as a bug with wings, with each craving a wing is removed until finally the bug is useless, that mental image has helped me.  This journey is as much a mind game and changing attitudes.  Good luck and keep on protecting you quit.

Jordan-11-1-12

So glad that you came here and vented, Ken.  PLEASE get checked out for COPD

Legend

I had the same symptoms and much more. I was constipated really bad and when I walked just a short walk from my room to kitchen I was out of breath and sweating. My chest was tight and my heart was pounding away. My cardiologist totally missed that I could have been Magnesium deficient. When I landed up in the hospital I got tested for everything and that was one of the things that showed up I was so deficient. My muscles would twitch on and off all over. I thought I was going crazy and the doctor kept giving me heart medicine that did not help me.  When I found out I was magnesium deficient I bought some at the store and I take it every day now. At first I took it 3 times a day and now I take it once a day. I am much better now I can walk to the kitchen and back without being out of breath. I can walk in the grocery store without breaking out in a sweat. This may not be your problem but please check it out. It took me about 2 weeks to get back to normal after I started playing around with my dose of magnesium. Please go to the doctor and have a breathing test done to see if you have COPD like the others have suggested.

Here is a link that you can read on this I just goggled this and it popped up I bet you can find more links to read on this. I hope this helped you some and I hope you find out what is wrong with you.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/magnesium-deficiency-symptoms-and-diagnosis

mmallett

Hello Ken, I have COPD, had it for years actually but was committed to living in the great state of denial. When I went to the doctor last month and he gave me FIVE more years at the pace I was going I knew it was time. Past time for me to kick the habit. I also have asthma which make the breathing issues much worse so I understand your frustration. You have to give your lungs time to heal, exercise even if it was just walking to the corner and back to start with. You have to exercise more than that walk to the lazy-boy. The walking will eventually improve your breating because it strengthens your heart and lungs. Find yourself a good Pulmonologist, Have a CT on your lungs and see how much damage is done but most of all stay POSITIVE!

Like you I have gotten hooked on games as a distraction. Try Majong, it's a good distraction and you really can't play for very long, use it as your reward for passing on the urge.