cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Just poking my head back in to check...

DOCmarkC
0 7 108

At work they have decided to provide smoking cessation classes (I work in I.T. for a medical clinic) and it got me to thinking about my own quit and how I went about it.

Pride may not be a good thing, but I cannot help but feel pride for what I know I have accomplished.  The power of smoking is amazing.  The layers of lies and justification I had placed on myself in order to allow myself to continue smoking is still staggering to me. 

When I drive down the road and pass a car with the window cracked open I smile at the fact that I recognize a smoker's car from afar, and I am no longer compelled to juggle a cigarette, a lighter, and a steering wheel at the same time while telling myself that it is an OK thing to do.

Watching a young mother tying her little girl's shoes in the park as she politely tries to blow her smoke away from the child's face...  How nice of her.  Someday she will understand that mommy just needs to have these things because they make her life better.

Hearing phrases like "I've gotta go grab a smoke before my shift starts" from a restaurant employee...  Knowing full well he is going to be spending a large portion of his minimum wage paycheck that he slaves away for on something to burn...  It makes me shake my head!  I used to do that!

I look at that and say to myself what an incredible fool I was.  A moron!  an inconsiderate self-serving idiot who was lying to myself because it was easier than owning up to the fact that I was afraid that I couldn't quit.  Rather than admit to that fear, I told myself that the smoking was OK and no big deal.  I even had myself convinced that most people were unaware that I smoked unless I told them!  HA!

Anyway,  Yes, I am still quit.  I still believe whole heartedly that anyone can quit and will quit when they actually mean it...  Conversely they will NOT quit if they only "Wish" they weren’t a smoker.  That works as well as wishing they could fly.   No magic pill here.  Just put it down and walk away.

7 Comments