cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Just heard....

kristen-9-7-15
0 22 268

Just heard on the news eating red meat is just as bad as smoking. Whaaaaaaat??

22 Comments
OldBones-Larry

Been eating red meat my entire life and I am doiing OK.

kristen-9-7-15

Me too! Everything's bad for you these days so they say.

YoungAtHeart

What I heard was that eating red meat and processed meats increases your chance for cancer by 17%.  Smoking increases your chances by like 2,000%.    Some of the news stories didn't do the comparison!!  They also didn't include the AMOUNT of those things the folks in the studies ate.

Definitely not smoking over it (nor, probably, changing my diet - which doesn't include much of those meats anyway).

Nancy

TerrieQuit

I'm a medium rare, gal! Have been since I had enough teeth to chew it! Nothing can be as bad as cigarettes!

Terrie

froguelady

Nancy is right, eating red meat isn't anywhere close to do the damage smoking does.

JonesCarpeDiem

moreso processed meats like bacon, hot dogs and the stuff with nitrates. They sell hot dogs cured with celery juice and no other chemicals now. That's what I eat. 🙂

And I won't stop having my piece of bacon 2 times a week. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

kristen-9-7-15

Puff-TM-Draggin

I've actually started smoking frankfurters and eating cigarettes.  Health study, please!

TerrieQuit

BACON?! '=)

YoungAtHeart

There is also a survey that found that after sex, what men most want is..................

Yep........................................................................................................................

BACON!

'-) 

Barbara145

I hate to be the health nut in the bunch.  That cured meats that contain nitrites are carcinogenic is not new information. Eating a good quality read meat occassionally is o.k.

Barbara145

That is red not read.

catdadiels8a

L,O,L

JACKIE1-25-15

Seems that we all got the same news but heard it differently. 

kristen-9-7-15

It will change next week again. It's good, it's bad, it's good, it's bad. Aye aye aye!

Eric_L.

Of course red meat is bad for you.  It comes from cows in Virginia that smoke.

Giulia

If we weren't meant to eat meat we wouldn't be omnivores.  Vampires must be really unhealthy, eathing nothing BUT red meat.  Though they DO live forever.  Probably because they gave up smoking. 

NewMe

OK, I just have to be a rabble rouser here. Hope I don't get too much flak on this one. I quit eating red meat and poultry 33 years ago. At first I was just kinda curious-thought I'd give it a try. Now, I like to say, you couldn't pay me to eat meat-but I guess I'd do it if you held a gun to my head. BTW-after a bit of time, I was worried abt. getting enough protein, so added fish back. Had to go around telling folks I don't eat anything with fur or feathers for awhile, cuz the sticklers won't let a Pescatarian get away with using the word vegetarian too much. And all this explaining-just to get to my point. When I finally did quit-one thing I was hoping for was to one day view cigarettes the way I view red meat. That you couldn't pay me to do that. I am not there yet (not by a long stretch), but thanks for the roundabout reminder. Whew-that was a long winded comment!

freeneasy

NO WAAAYY..  Hey Mr. Deli man.... gimme a pound a that rare eye round sliced thin!!!!

bonniebee

I heard it on the news but the news I heard   did not compare it to cigarettes ,If that is the case .....just as bad as cigarettes...... we are all in trouble except possibl  the vegatatians who only eat vegtables but oh !..... watch out if they are gmo's , watch out if they are not 100% organic and by the way did you get a flu shot ? watch out for all the mercury in the vaccines  and now that I mentioned it watch out for the mercury in the fish and possibly radiation too ! Wow Is anything safe anymore ? I have even gotten worried  about microwaving any food !

My Point we are living in an age where almost everyting is a risk ! Today i can say I have illiminated one huge risk factor .....smoking !

I still live with second hand smoke ! ......:-)

Rick_M

Order a burger....

northern-eclipse

Just an assumption. But it seems like adequate roughage intake would be benficial.

About the Author
I was a closet smoker or at least I like to think I was. After quitting smoking there is NO WAY my smoking was a secret; how could it be with the awful smell??!! This site made all the difference in my Forever Quit! Smoke free since September 7, 2015