cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Just for today, I will not smoke. I will be patient and kind with myself and others. I will go through this day with confidence and joy. "NOPE, thanks, I don't need one!"

DayDreamer
1 8 58

I have gone back to reading on the quit now website and just finished reading; Freedom From Nicotine - The Journey Home(FFN-TJH). Im sure many of you have read this little book but there were a few things that I found intresting that I wanted to share. First is the promise that I make to myself everyday in order to make my quit not so daunting. Not smoking forever is a long time so for the past 46 days and for the days to come this has been and will continue to be my moto, my prayer, the answere I give to myself when I start trying to talk myself out of my forever quit;

Just for today, I will not smoke. I will be patient and kind with myself and others. I will go through this day with confidence and joy. "NOPE, thanks, I don't need one!"

This next section is quoted from the tobacco industry itself and is another driving incentive for me to avoid giving these people my money. Not just the tobacco industry but the Nicotine industry, ecigs, the patch, gum, ect... they are all in the business of addiction and unfortunitly for us buisness is good. Read this and try to remember this next time your in line to buy your next fix, hopfully you will change your mind. If we could all see through the confidence trap maybe we could make pushing nicotine a little less profitable and help others avoid the same trap we are still strugling to climb out of.

FFN-TJH

"In a sense, the tobacco industry may be thought of as being a specialized, highly ritualized and stylized segment of the pharmaceutical industry. Tobacco products, uniquely, contain and deliver nicotine, a potent drug with a variety of physiological effects."

"Thus a tobacco product is, in essence, a vehicle for delivery of nicotine, designed to deliver the nicotine in a generally acceptable and attractive form. Our Industry is then based upon design, manufacture and sale of attractive dosage forms of nicotine ..."

"If nicotine is the sine qua non of tobacco products and tobacco products are recognized as being attractive dosage forms of nicotine, then it is logical to design our products -- and where possible, our advertising -- around nicotine delivery ..."

"He does not start smoking to obtain undefined physiological gratifications or reliefs, and certainly he does not start to smoke to satisfy a non-existent craving for nicotine. Rather, he appears to start to smoke for purely psychological reasons -- to emulate a valued image, to conform, to experiment, to defy, to be daring, to have something to do with his hands, and the like."

"Only after experiencing smoking for some period of time do the physiological "satisfactions" and habituation become apparent and needed. Indeed, the first smoking experiences are often unpleasant until a tolerance for nicotine has been developed."

"This leaves us, then, in the position of attempting to design and promote the same product to two different types of markets with two different sets of motivations, needs and expectations."

"If, as proposed above, nicotine is the sine qua non of smoking, and if we meekly accept the allegations of our critics and move toward reduction or elimination of nicotine from our products, then we shall eventually liquidate our business."

"If we intend to remain in business and our business is the manufacture and sale of dosage forms of nicotine, then at some point we must make a stand." "If our business is fundamentally that of supplying nicotine in useful dosage form, why is it really necessary that allegedly harmful 'tar' accompany that nicotine?"

"There should be some simpler, "cleaner", more efficient and direct way to provide the desired nicotine dosage than the present system involving combustion of tobacco or even chewing of tobacco ..."

"It should be possible to obtain pure nicotine by synthesis or from high-nicotine tobacco. It should then be possible, using modifications of techniques developed by the pharmaceutical and other industries, to deliver that nicotine to the user in efficient, effective, attractive dosage form, accompanied by no 'tar', gas phase, or other allegedly harmful substances."

"The dosage form could incorporate various flavorants, enhancers, and like desirable additives, and would be designed to deliver the minimum effective amount of nicotine at the desired release-rate to supply the 'satisfaction' desired by the user."

8 Comments
About the Author
I am A U.S. Navy Veteran from Grand Rapids MI. Been a smoker most of my life. I quit with the help of this community before for almost 3 years. I relapsed and have been smoking full time again over the last year / year and a half. I have recommitted to being smoke free and my new quit date is February 3, 2020. This time it will be for good...