cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Just a little rambling before bed.....

basketcase2
0 12 92

We went out to friends tonight....I was a little nervous, but I realized something very valuable tonight.  Of the 20+ people that were there, there were only two that smoke!  The "peer pressure" that I was afraid I would face was non-exsistent!  And guess what....while the cold wind was blowing, and the rain was falling hard....I was inside, visiting, laughing, enjoying everyone's company, having a great time!  Less than two weeks ago, I would have been outside, hunkering in the cold wind and rain, to smoke....now that would have been a good time....NOT!!!!  I love it when the reality of something becomes clear and is so much more pleasant than my old perceived realities! 

I've been thinking about a good friend a lot the last couple of days.  She has been a smoker as long or longer than I was, and she definately lets smoking dominate her life.  She only goes to restaurants that allow smoking and they are few and far between in our area.  She plans shopping trips around smoke stops, she is late for almost everything she does because it takes her twice as long to get ready to go as it does most people because every move she makes is centered around her cigarettes.  She spends way too much of her life looking for her cigs....or lighter....or ash tray....or finding someplace that allows smoking.  I try to convince myself I was not that bad when I smoked...but in reality, I probably was.  That is a sad thing....I think of all the good food I might have missed out on, because I seldom ate where I couldn't smoke.  I think of all the visiting I missed out on, because I was always isolated, having a smoke.  I'm actually beginning to be a little thankful that I was "forced" into this quit!  LOL....pssst....don't tell my employer that, I'll still deny it.....I can't give that much yet!  LOL  But seriously....I wake up in the morning and no longer feel and sound like I'm coughing up a lung!  I can go on a brisk walk and not become winded....my legs get sore before my chest starts hurting!  I can put on perfume in the morning....and still smell nice in the evening.  I have gained about 4 pounds.....is that because I'm not smoking????.....more likely it's because I can't keep my hands out of the damned Tootsie Rolls at work!  LOL  I am sleeping more soundly at night now than I have in years....yes, the insomnia is gone, whether it's due to the herbs I'm taking....or just because...doesn't matter, I sleep well, with no chest pain, shortness of breath....and my snoring has decreased dramatically....at least I think it has, because I haven't woke myself up snoring lately!  LOL  (Yes...I would actually do that on a regular basis)  I am even beginning to actually feel like a non-smoker, rather than a smoker in denial!  LOL

Wow...if I've come this far in less than two weeks, how far will I be in two months?  I don't know, but I can't wait to find out!  I haven't even had a major crying episode in the last three days!  That is a major relief!  I have to tell you the last one was a doozy!  I actually went for a walk, and found myself sitting deep in the woods....just sitting there under a tree....my t-shirt soaked to my waist from wiping the tears that would not stop....and that I could not explain!  A friend called me at this moment just to see how I was doing....I could not talk....he waited....I finally managed to choke out what was happening.  You know what his first words to me were?  "You don't have gun, do you?"  I absolutely busted a gut and assured him I did not!  ROFLMAO.....I had to sit there and really do some soul searching.  What the hell was wrong with me????  Was I actually going off the deep end or what?  I began to think back to the time in my life I started smoking....I was in college.  Keeping in mind that I had smoked for 1 1/2 times more years of my life than I had not, I also realized that when I started, I did so to FIT IN!!!!  I was giving up a major part of my identity, and a part of me that I felt like made me fit in with the people around me.  We even joked at work with the non-smokers who would come outside with us when we had smoke, asking them if they wanted to "hang out with the cool kids"!  That was a real eye-opener for me...I began to wonder if I was afraid that I would no longer fit in with my friends...could be, who knows, but after that realization, I began to feel more peaceful with my quit, and have not had a major crying episode since.  Tonight, when I realized that I actually had something in common with so many more people as a non-smoker than as a smoker, I'm hoping has put that fear that I just recognized to rest...for good.

I'm not sure where my head will be tomorrow, but today was another smoke-free day.  A day of peace, calm, and laughter.  A day of realizations that I will hang on to throughout my quit....Realizations that have made me stronger in my quit and my relationship with Nic O. Demon weaker.  Tomorrow may have hurdles...there may even be mountains to climb....but today was a good day....today I truly feel that I AM A NON-SMOKER!

Hugs to all....and here's to a smoke-free future!  Night all,

Lisa

12 Comments
hwc

Lisa,

I'm so excited for you. it's a wonderful thing when you scratch and claw your way through those first ten days and then all the sudden start to see smoking and not-smoking as it really is, rather than clouded by all the junkie lies we train ourselves to believe. At that point, you can finally start to that -- wow -- this being an ex-smoker is gonna be pretty sweet. It's like pulling back the curtain on the Wizard of Oz. Once you see the trick, the power over you is all gone.

"Wow...if I've come this far in less than two weeks, how far will I be in two months?"

You have no idea. The fun part doesn't even really start until you are a couple months into it. Just keep on truckin'. It gets better and better and better.

hwc

BTW, you make an important point. Nobody smokes any more. Smokers think that everyone smokes, but the truth is that, today, everyone hates smoking.

smokefreedom

Lisa , congrats, sounds like you have found the secret, you're doing great!!

perfectblend

I will certainly toast to that! Amazing blog! I can almost see you glowing!! You derserve to be 🙂 You are experiencing freedom, that's why your realizations are having such a profound effect. You are living life- freely. True there will be ups & downs in life, but your memory of this day will strengthen your resolve. The future is bright!!! (Loved the question ur friend asked) lmao

dixie5

wow ok either it is my menopause or you struck a cord with me, I cried after I read your blog, cause now I know that me sitting and sobbing and remembering all my smoking memories does not mean I am crazy, just what ahold these damn things had on us!!! bless you for sharing, you have know idea how much you just helped me!!!  and I also feel like everyone else is smoking, not true, funny when I was smoking I never noticed anyone smoking lol !!!!   goodnite and thank you lisa, much love to you...

sharky2

Lisa, thank you for this post. I really needed to hear this tonight. Been having a bad day. Not from my quit, but a really bad case from work. Of course the case is a trigger.

I needed this more than you know.

taboraz

Thanks Lisa I can totally relate to you, tomorrow is my first day and your post helped thankyou.

aom

Most people do not smoke anymore largely because of the public restrictions on it. I returned to college this year (13 years) since I last attended and it is almost taboo.

schwack

Lisa,

Thank you for the ride on the way back machine.

Told ya it gets better.  (we'll keep that a secret.)

- schwack

elle10

read your blog, and do you know that you help people?  Like me on my third day, it's good to know that if you can do it i can too, you smoked longer than me but you are such a strong person!

Yaya2.6.10

Hooray!  The break thru that you just have of realizing what you were missing by running off for a smoke is huge.  When that hit me I knew I was on my way to becoming an Ex.  I still have an occasional crave, but just remind myself how much more at peace I am by not having to plot a time and place to smoke.

vandiwa

I remember when I would plan getting ready for work out around cigarettes.  I would wake up and smoke as soon as I could get to a place where I could.  I'd smoke 2 if I had time, or 1 if I was running late.  Then jump in the shower (if I only had time for 1 and was really running late, I'd grab the 2nd in the shower) and put enough clothes on to go grab another one, then come back and shave and brush teeth, then go grab another one, then come back and finalize, then grab my cigs and light one on the way to the car.  When I commuted for an hour, I'd have around 5 more, and I'd get to work just in time to stand around with the other smokers on the dock having that "last" cigarette before going inside.  By the time I got to my desk every morning, I had smoked a half pack of cigarettes, and the whole time I was working I was counting the time till I could go out and have another.  How did I ever convince myself that I enjoyed that?  How did I ever convince others that I was more productive because I smoked?  Good job on your quit Lisa and I loved reading your post.