cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Just Joined - Quit Date, Receptors, Support, Vapor

etel2nal407
0 13 45

My story will begin with a bit of kismet. I've been single for the last 7 months and haven't had many good dates before that, along with some really horrid relationships. One of the things I've always wanted was a good stable partner who truly loved me. It's important to know, because I had just about given up on that. I was enjoying the single life, don't get me wrong, I wasn't moping about being depressed. I was going out with platonic friends, having fun at home gaming, and altogether feeling great. I felt so great I decided to take this positive energy and do something productive, so I set my mind to quitting.

My high school sweetheart (who I had sent a friend request to via facebook) decided around the same time to gamble a conversation with me. We'd had a pretty rocky time back in high school, but we were kids and I was insensitive and selfish, so I don't blame her for dumping me, or for being cautious about me now. This was kismet to me because she was always very critical of my smoking. We really hit it off and when we had our first date again, it's as if the 12 years we spent apart with no contact seemed to never have even happened. I fear only I have appeared to age (those damn cigarettes!), but she enjoys my grey hair, as she tells me often.

So, here we are now, falling in love again, and my desire to quit has been galvanized by her support. She doesn't pressure me to quit, but she praises the strides I make towards quitting and that's very important to me since the power of positive thinking has been the keystone to my personal growth. 

I feel nearly invincible at this point, but I'm still plagued with cravings, and a memory of an old television ad led me here during a late restless night. I followed the website's suggestion not to choose an important date and changed it to be earlier (12/12/14 vs. 1/1/15). Yes...I was going to make it my resolution - how cliche. I would love to make it tomorrow because I feel my desire to quit is pretty strong and will get stronger, but the site strongly suggested not to do that, so 12/12 it is.

One of the neatest bits of information I found through this site was about the receptors in my brain. I've always been a big fan of mind over matter and felt that if I focused enough I could rewire my brain structure, so that little insight about growing more nicotine receptors has really given me a light bulb. With knowledge, I can master anything and I'm already thinking to myself, "Go away receptors." Hoping I can do this with success.

Of course, my next biggest ally in this journey will surely be my love. I've already mentioned her above and with all the poor behavior she's seen from me before, I hope my charge towards being tobacco-free will be another example of the growth I've had in my life away from her. I also received a ton of support from my facebook friends, one that gave me a tip on some of the best vaping products he was aware of, while another was a bit more demanding and claimed that cold turkey was the better method. I'm sure there's always going to be two sides to that debate, but I think I am leaning towards using a smoking cessation medication or electronic cigarette. 

Which leads me to my biggest question since coming here. Where is all the information about electronic cigarettes? I understand this website was not created recently, but I see recent blogs within the community and it appears someone is still paying the server bill, so surely they could update some of the core information...Right? It's been the biggest let-down so far here, because I actually quit once before a couple years ago using an electronic cigarette, but the death of my father pushed me straight back into smoking again and admittedly, I was an anxious, nervous wreck that whole period leading up to it.

Now my life is a bit calmer, it's been 2 years since my father's passing and the grieving is over. My job situation is on auto-pilot with smooth clear skies ahead, and my will to quit has never been stronger. I think all I'm missing is the E-cig, maybe some meds, and of course more knowledge. I'm a glutton for information, so please share it all. I welcome any and all comments or criticisms, succes stories or failures, ideas and proven techniques. 

My plan is to purchase a high-end E-cig, the Pro-Vari and Nautilus Aspire Clearomizer, then sample different juices and lower my nicotine levels gradually. In January I will schedule a doctor's visit, but I hope to go in with some success under my belt already. I'm excited to get this ball rolling. Thanks for reading!

13 Comments
erma2

Hi . you came to the right site to quit smoking. Congratulations on your decision.This is only my 2nd day of my quit but i wanted to welcome you. Read all the posts you can . Blog as much as you need to or want. And stay close to this site. I am glad your excited to qiut smoking too. that is a plus. here is 2 links that I have for you to get started to read. whyquit.com  and quitsmokingonline.com  .I wish you much success. Erma

JonesCarpeDiem

if you want to be a vapor the rest of your life and never know freedom? vape.

there's no reason to be on a quit smoking site if you decide to vape because you haven't unlearned the psychological addiction. this is the thinking of smoking along with the hand to mouth and inhale motions that an ecig only reenforces.

Smoking controlled our daily lives. it still controls a vaper's life.

Vaping is smoking with a battery, nothing more.

In the big picture of a quit, nicotine is only 10% of the work. The other 90% is losing the psychological connections to smoking

Real quitting Is about being psycologically free to enjoy living without needing nicotine or thinking about your next fix or pulling something out of your pocket to suck on like you're smoking.

if vaping is your choice, there are whole communities of vapers that will encouurage your lifelong addiction.

Why? Because the people who vape did not have the patience with themselves to unlearn smoking and the more people like them, the more they feel justified in their decision.

My page explains the whole quitting process in timeline form.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-...

ShawnP

Welcome and congratulations for making this decision to quit. Educating yourself about this addiction is the key to a successful quit. Knowledge is power!!! Plus you have your girlfriend there that will be a big support for you along with all of us here. You can do this!!!

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/blog/read/7637674/my-inspiration-today

annb
Welcome to you. I hope you will reconsider the whole e cig thing. I believe it's just another way to keep us addicted and I really don't believe they are "safe". I tried it (coughed choked like crazy)when I never coughed smoking! If you go to Thomas's page he has a ton of info on lots of different subjects including research on Ecigs. If you are going to use an aid, please consider patch or gum so you're not still inhaling junk into your lungs. We are glad you are here. Congrats on your decision to quit and on the new, old Love in your life!!!
linda258

It looks like you have this figured out ... for you.  As a nicotine addict it is very difficult to encourage anyone to use the e-cig... but that is me. 

This site is to help people stop nicotine addition.  As Dale said there are other sites that believe in vaping. 

You can do whatever you believe to help in your quit. 

etel2nal407

Thanks for the welcome everyone. It's good to see so much activity here. 5 comments after a night of sleep! Wow!

Dale (jonescarp) is right about the psychological addiction. I am not ready to quit that. The hand-to-mouth has always been the biggest draw for me. As a child I was a thumb sucker until age 8 and the only reason that "addiction" stopped was because I broke my right wrist roller skating and had the thumb in a cast for 8 weeks. Prior to that my parents tried a stop-sucking solution. It was a foul tasting bitter liquid that they would generously coat on my thumb, but I would just endure the bad taste until I had sucked it all off.

I can also remember miming a smoke as a child. I would pick up a pen and imagine I was smoking. Even as an adult smoked I still constantly chew my fingernails and pick at my cudicles, so I think there's a ton of work to do there. I'm planning on seeking a psychiatrist for this nervous tic, but for the short-term I want to eliminate smoke, as the chemicals in tobacco cigarettes aside from nicotine are what's harming me more.

I appreciate everyone here so far, again...Thanks so much for the warm welcomes. I don't want to be a vaper for the rest of my life, but I am choosing the lesser of two evils while I make moves to recover from the psychological addictions.

JonesCarpeDiem

a major part of the pshchological addiction is the automatic motions and action. How will you get away from that if you continue to do it?

and all your friends who switched, how many were able to get off it?

linda258

I would try a plastic straw... no nicotine.. and so cheap.  You won't be falling into the tobacco industry lie to keep you smoking.  Vaping = Smoking

No more from me..... just don't want to see other new people influenced by your choices. So if Dale is right about the hand mouth addiction ... and you are not ready to quit. Would you not be fooling yourself to say you are "quitting"...  only a thought.

Wish you luck! 

SkyGirl
  Hi, and welcome to EX.  We are all glad you have found this site.  You will find an amazing amount of support and friendship here.  All you have to do is start participating and you'll get to know people pretty quickly.

Whenever a new person arrives here and is considering vaping, they get a lot of different opinions and comments.  I often worry that the new member will feel bombarded and leave.  Please don't leave.  Please listen to what we are saying and consider it carefully.

1) Education about nicotine addiction is KEY to your success in beating your nicotine addiction.  You sound like a smart guy, so I think you may understand that it is entirely possible to step back from your own thoughts and see the difference between what your addicted brain/body tells you and what you otherwise know to be the truth.  Many people will recommend that you read a book entitled, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr.  It is a very simplistic easy read and it is be tempting to put it down after the first few pages because we think we already know everything that he's saying.  But read it anyway.  By the end of the book, your thinking will have flipped 180 degrees.  You are very motivated, that's easy to see.  But the mental switch from "I'm giving up something", "I'm doing without something I love", "I'm sacrificing this for my own good", etc. into "I'm freeing myself", "I'm finding a happier way to live", "I'm loving my ability to move about the world withou worrying about my next nicotine fix is coming from" is a huge step.  Some people never make that step before they quit.  And when you go into quitting thinking that you are going to be miserable because you are making a huge sacrifice, your success is already in jeopardy.  So read that book, even if you are feeling above it the entire time. (I felt pretty smug while I was reading it, so I can say this!).

I would also highly recommend that you go to a website called "whyquit.com" and look in the upper left hand corner of the homepage for an article entitled "Nicotine Addiction 101".  For me, this article was an epiphany!  It was this article that truly opened my eyes to how nicotine was actually physically altering my brain, and why I was believing that I "needed" and "loved" smoking.  That article is NOT simplistic and I think it will appeal to you.

2)  The vaping thing.  Oh, dear.  All kinds of NRTs have always had their champions and their detractors here on EX.  The most important thing about ANY nicotine replacement therapy is that the user recognizes that it is a short-term aid to be used during the initial phases of quitting.  If a person continues to use the patch, gum, lozenges, RXs for the long term, then all they have reallly done is change the delivery system by which they are receiving the drug they are still addicted to.  I'm sure you can agree with that.  As far as vaping goes, it would seem to me (and who made me an expert? Nobody) is that the only positive thing about it is what you said earlier; that you are removing all the other chemicals that are in tobacco cigarettes.  And, boy, some of those chemicals are scarier than hell; the stuff used in paint thinners and insecticides, among many others.  So that part is really good.  But you are still smoking when you vape.  Like Dale says, you are just smoking with a battery instead of a fire.  You are still getting the nicotine, which is still  physically altering your brain receptors and you are still, absolutely, completely, 100% still a nicotine addict.  So what have you gained?  Well, other than eliminating the other chemicals and your smelly clothes/hair/car, not much.  You are still addicted to nicotine and have to get your fix on a regular basis.  You will still be worrying about where your vaper is and if it is loaded enough to get you through until you can refill it.  You are still psychologically addicted to the hand-to-mouth action.  You are still always looking around for a place you can vape without annoying others.  

Okay, you say, but I'll be cutting down on the nicotine levels and that will bring me closer to beating the nicotine addiction.  Maybe.  But when you reach the lowest level and are ready to say you have truly beaten your nicotine addiction, will you be able to put down the vaper?  It's possible you aren't really believing that this psychological and hand-to-mouth addiction holds that much sway.  It does.  And there are hundreds of quitters who will attest to that.

Here's how I think of it:  Quitting isn't easy (no matter what that author Allen Carr says!).  The first few days/weeks really suck.  So it's like pulling off a band-aid.  Do you want to just rip it off and be done with that part of it and let the complete healing begin?  Or do you want to slowly, painfully peel that band-aid off, hesitating when it gets painful, and stretching out the pain and discomfort over a longer period of time?

I vote for ripping off the band-aid.  Each person must make their own choice on how to quit; it's very personal.  But there ARE methods that are proven to have longer-term successful results than others.  Cold turkey is one of the most successful.  And remember this: The way you THINK about quitting is crucial to your success.

Always happy to talk to you more and recommend other cool readings if you want...

Sky
linda258

Thank you Sky... She said it so much better. 

Thomas3.20.2010

Would you rather have a little cyanide or a lot? Take your pick....

Nicotine is a neurological poison! Not to mention insecticide!

etel2nal407

Thanks, Sky for your positive words. I won't comment much about some of the other posters except to say that I can understand their reaction to vaping. I'm not angry about it and I won't defend vaping. I've already stated it's the lesser of two evils, but that still makes it an evil nonetheless.

One of the main reasons I'm quitting the analogs is because of carbon monoxide, which is not something found in the vapor from e-cigs. Vapor, not smoke. I'm curious why someone calls it "smoking with a battery", because it's not smoke.

I will be gradually lowering my nicotine levels with the juice until I'm vaping just pure flavored juice nicotine free and when that day comes, it will be simply the hand-to-mouth addiction that must be kicked. My hope it that by that time, with the help of a mental health professional I will find the reasons for my behavior to "need" that action.

As I stated above, I was a long time thumb sucker and after that, even after smoking cigarettes, I still gnaw away my fingernails and cucicles, so the reason I'm going to vape is not because I don't want to quit someday. It's because I want the smoke to stop in the short-term. The hand-to-mouth is a long-term addiction...No, it's  lifetime addiction, so I don't want to cut myself off completely (I might eat my whole hand off! lol) from that addiction.

When Heroin addicts experience withdrawal, they're not simply forced to kick the habit, but isntead they're slowly weaned off with less harmful drugs. This is the same approach I intend to take with my nicotine addiction through the use of vaping, but hwo knows...Maybe the NRTs will do better? I've never used those before, so I can't say. I have, however, used an e-cig before and was able to put down the analogs for a time.

The nicotine addiction is a very small percentage of why I smoke, but the major issue is the hand-to-mouth and gums, lozenges, while surely pathces, will not satiate that addiction at all. I will also look into an inhaler.

Though I don't fault some users for their reactions to vaping (you must have the mindset that works for you to remain smoke-free), I do think it's a bad idea to speak of it as some of you have. Sky is right, it could very well lead a new user to give up on the site and a possibly important support system. Before you all villainize a method that can help someone, remember this is not some consumer product we're discussing like Pepsi vs. Coke. This is life and death. People die from smoking related illnesses every day. If an e-cig is the gateway to one person quitting, there is absolutely no reason to boldly shame it or someone suggesting it as a method for quitting. Think about that before you speak next time.

Thanks again for the support, I will remain here despite the opinions against vaping. I plan to blog my journey for others to see and as unconventional as it may be, if it works, it's good. 

JonesCarpeDiem

I would still like to know how many of your friends who "quit smoking"  are still vaping.

You are just continuing the addiction and the habit.

and why do they call it an ecig?