cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Just For The Heck Of It...

bobbi9
0 6 36

Nicodemon's running out of lies to tell me. That "just one" lie doesn't work on me. No matter how much I'm taunted, I know that one puff = one pack a day! I thought the "just one" lie was the strongest of all - and maybe earlier in my quit it was. Now nicodemon has to get clever! "Oh, C'mon! Smoke one just for the heck of it!" Well, I have to admit that sometimes it sounds like a good excuse. It sounds enjoyable even. Just for the heck of it? What a concept! It seems I always needed an excuse before. I was bored...I lit up. I was angry...I lit up. I was happy...I lit up. It goes on and on. I'm smoking because________________(fill in the blank!). Any excuse would do. "Just for the heck of it". Sounds exciting, rebellious...delicious and fun. Enter common sense - the real me - How stupid can I be?!!? It takes me back to my childhood. Did I ever smoke just to smoke? To enjoy it? Even as a child, when I was practicing to become an addict, before I even knew how to inhale, I had a "reason" to smoke. Something would trigger me, I'd steal a cigarette from my mom's pack and find some matches and run off in the bushes to smoke that trigger away. I'll show you!!! Just for the heck of it? No thanks nicodemon. NO thanks.

6 Comments
pam-c

Bobbi,  I get that same message too!  "who would know" " just do it"... yeah I'm glad you have not only common sense but rational sense.  I never thought about it before, but yes, I guess I always had a "reason" too.  Thanks for writing this.. it has made me think.

bobbi9

Hey Pam! Yes, I'm getting the ... "No one would know" lie too. Truth is, I would know. And that's enough to make me feel too remorseful to even try to go that way. Even if no one ever knew, I would be lying to myself. I have decided that I am worth the truth...from me to me. If I can't be honest with myself, then I can't be honest with anyone. I also get the..."Just a few drags!" Yeah right I say! This is why the NOPE works for me. One puff = One pack a day. NOPE!!

Strudel

Those lies are so sneaky sometimes....almost disguised as something else at times.  I'm with you - NOPE!

patrick-marsh

DONT LISTEN TO THEM !! BOBBI YOUR STRONGER THEN THAT JUNKIE THINKING!! STAY STRONG MT FRIEND!! IM HERE IF YOU NEED ME!! THANK YOU

keeptrying2

Yes the ideas our minds think up of are interesting. Glad you are holding tight.  Hang in there. 

kim_previously_nic-fit

I wish I had read this SOONER......... ARGH. I lit up and hit a pitfall in my quit!  Starting over will be hard, but picking it back up was easy. How rediculous that I stumbled, but I'm encouraged to see posts like yours to encourage me. Thank you for this blog.