cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Just For Fun~~~~~~What was your parents favorite phrase?

JonesCarpeDiem
0 17 63

The one my mom used most often was

"you're cruisin for a bruisin"

Any others?

17 Comments
dvolgenau4

If you hang around wet paint long enough your bound to get some on you.

YoungAtHeart

Mine always used my complete name, first and middle, to call me in to pay for my transgression.

Nancy

jka03

Nancy, Mine did the same thing and that is when I know I was crusin for a brusin.

SarahP

Middle name, yep. That's how I knew I was in big trouble. "SARah CATHerine!" Uh oh. 

She also counted to three -- worked every time. Scared the bejeebers out of me. She never actually got to three, and has since admitted she has no idea what she would have done. But it worked! 

freedom-38

A watch pot never boils.

You're crusin for a brusin was always a classic too.

I know there is ton more.

Oh and the other CLASSIC. Dont you talk to me like that YOUNG LADY!

LOL Dale!

freedom-38

Do you think money grows on trees?!?!

julia20

"I'm going to count to ... [Pick a number between 3 and 10 depending on level of parental anger]!"

"You HEAR me?" (Later amended to "Are you LISTENING to me?" once I pointed out the difference between hearing and listening. I was a really obnoxious kid.)

Jordan-11-1-12

"You're gonna poke someone's eye out!"

"Don't make me come in there!"

MY fav. one as a Mom was/is always, "I don't care how cute you are..."

owlfeather

"If someone told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it"?

Brenda_M

"It's not a circus, either."

Ladybug--7-3-12

If I give you two bits (a quarter for the younger pop) would you shut up for a half an hour?  This was from my Dad -- my Mom would shush him.  I couldn't help it as the youngest of six kids I like to talk.  I was a Leo and born communicator.

Nyima_1.6.13

"Because I'm the mother,that's why" and "I'm pretty sure you heard me the first time",often in that order!

owlfeather

"It's colder than the balls off a brass monkey in here" 

lindan_7-14-10

"you made your bed ... now lay in it"

owlfeather

"If wishes were fishes we'd all have riches" 

jojo_2-24-11

My mom always said " Dumb like a fox" in reference to whom ever was trying to pretend to be dumb. I'm sure on any given day there was one of us trying to act dumb. I am one of five, I should add my dad in there too.

Sootie

My Mom----God never gives us more than we can handle

My Dad-----Remember---I love you (said whether I left happy or "slammed" out the door!)

Now----since I TOO am a Mom---I think my kids would say my favorite is---Do you want to sit and have a pity party...or do you want to work on a solution together?

And my husband's/their Dad?----If you do it right, it will work. 

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.