cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Jumping off the diving board

CathyC1332
0 5 19

I am really interested in quitting smoking.  I made my quit date Feb 1.  I start to freak when I think of stopping.  Part of me really doesn't need to smoke, but the part that does seems really strong.  So I am the battle ground for my 2 part buddies.  I hope the Doesn't Want To Smoke wins out.

I tell myself it is too late.  All the people close to me who quit smoking died of lung cancer, so I probably will too.  That is a sorry excuse.  I am letting it control me.

Had to get that out.  See how it goes.

5 Comments
j_tanner

That's what we're here for, so you can get this stuff off your chest. Read, ask questions, blog, there's a list, sure, but the more you learn about this addiction, the less scary it gets. Our addict mind will come up with any excuse to keep smoking, but when you look at it, none of them ever work. I'll post the link to easy way here, it helped me get it in perspective.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Stay close and learn everything you can, you can beat this!

candylance

Addicts come up with any excuse to smoke. I stubbed my toe, I need a sickerette. You didn't say how old you are. Well, YOU don't sound like YOU want to QUIT!! I'm a very young 69. I have had 4 hip replacements, both knees replaced and my right shoulder. I have CROHN'S DISEASE, PANCREATITIS, A GROWTH IN MY GALLBLADDER that they think is cancerous, COPD, PRECANCEROUS BARRETTE'S SYNDROME and  PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY in both feet and legs. ALL are blamed on smoking!! YES, YOU HEARD ME RIGHT........SMOKING CAUSED IT ALL.

PLEASE THROW THEM AWAY, AND NEVER PUT ANOTHER IN YOUR MOUTH.

READ,READ,READ

SAY FOCUSED ON NOT SMOKING

pir8fan

The part that survives will be the one that you feed! If you decide you want to quit then you need to turn your back on the idea that ever smoking again is an option! It is not! Every quitter here was once where you are! Come and join us!

Storm.3.1.14
  WELCOME to EX! You’re here because, like us, you want to be rid of cigarettes. We can help you with that, yes.

There is plenty of useful information and activities right here in the EX program, and there’s plenty more information at other websites that many of our most successful quitters will mention to you. Explore every resource made available to you, and use the ones that work best for you.

Please, do all the exercises here, in the time required, especially those that ask you to PRACTICE quitting BEFORE you actually quit. You’ll be asked to skip that "after-lunch smoke", for example, in order to figure out how you feel about that and what you’ll do instead to make it better. Then, you’ll skip a "bored smoke" and a "stressed smoke" and other smokes to PRACTICE being without them, and to PRACTICE doing something in place of them. The last thing you want to do is quit without having any skills under your belt.

Finally, you don’t have to do this alone. We're your support group, so communicate with us, be sure to leave comments of support for other people (it‘s a two-way street around here), report your progress, and let us help you. 
Strudel

Welcome to the site! I also struggled with the "is it too late" idea. Then I came here - started reading blogs, learned about this addiction  ( check out the free course at - http://quitsmokingonline.com/ and Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" -http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf ), and I quit! I had smoked for 40 years! It is NEVER too late! Life is all about the quality of my days - not the quantity! Living the freedom that being an EX smoker brings means the quality is SO, much better! Please - read - and hang out here! You can do this!