cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

It smelled so good

Maki
5 8 236

Today , I went to the grocery store . Coming out I got a whiff of smoke . It did smell good . As I turned the corner I was greeted by the same cashier smoking on her break that I’d chatted to a few weeks earlier . It smelled terrible back then but today it smelled good . 

Her smoking didn’t bother me when the smell seemed nauseating and wreaked a few weeks ago and although the smell seemed quite inviting and pleasant today it too wasn’t any temptation . 

I visited with her there on the benches for the duration of her break and when I told  her I’d quit ( but it smelled good ) she was curious about how I’d quit smoking . I was happy to share what I could in not even a minute about support sites in hopes it could bring her hope . You could see in her eyes deep in thought that she wanted to quit but the addict was still there . I saw my old self too in her , you know the one wanting to but scared . 

In our own time , speaking only for myself we reach this point where smoking just doesn’t matter and it isn’t the centre of our attention anymore .  That feeling I can tell you is like no other . You can like the smell or hate the smell of a cigarette but smoking one doesn’t come to mind . 

I don’t often smell smoke at all anymore ,  anywhere and quite honestly I rarely notice anyone smoking like I did when I first quit . Everywhere I looked in the beginning  days I saw someone smoking. I wondered if that was normal , and someone reassured me it was I remember .

The mind sure is funny isn’t it . 

4009 day ones . 

8 Comments