cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

It's been a long time (too long)

MichelleDiane
3 14 180

Hello Ex friends.  It's been several years since I have formally been seen on this site.  I've been in the shadows reading and praying.  I set my quit date many times over the last two years, but never followed through.  Two years ago my mother had a stroke.  It rocked my family's world to say the least.  We brought her up from Tennessee to New York and at that time I was not smoking.  I had 3 months sobriety.  I cannot for the life of me explain why I started again as looking at my mother was like looking into my future.  She was a smoker her whole life.  Several weeks ago while visiting her I knew I had to quit.  My cough is so bad that I have to go into another room and cough into a towel to dull the sound.  I am only 57 and sound like my mother who is 81.  It's a no brainer that a stroke will be my fate.  This past weekend I decided that November 1st would be my quit (forever).  I was with my mom when I decided to make sure this happened as when I was looking at her my heart broke.  Not just for her, but for my husband and adult children who would be heart broken looking at me in years to come.  I am happy to be back and look forward to my journey.  It's wonderful to come out of the shadows.

14 Comments